Two shifts in 24Hrs

My boss wants me to do a couple of night shifts , he wants me to start at 6am drive to my collection point take my daily rest then start again at 10pm ? I’m not sure but is this legal , any advice would be appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

Not ideal but as long as you’ve had min 9hours off 100% ok

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What makes you think it aint legal mate?

robroy:

I was fined in Italy for doing the same thing but don’t know if it’s the law here .

4aaaa4dd:

robroy:

I was fined in Italy for doing the same thing but don’t know if it’s the law here .

They might have a labour law but in terms of EU drivers hours it’s perfectly legal.

toonsy:

4aaaa4dd:

robroy:

They might have a labour law but in terms of EU drivers hours it’s perfectly legal.

Depending of course on what else you’ve been doing leading up to this request (or the one in Italy). If you’re happy to do it as long as its legal, then make sure you haven’t had too many reductions leading up to it. If you simply don’t want to do it then find a way out of it, without rocking the boat if you’re reasonably content where you are.

I hope he is paying you well to do it.

The EU might say its legal but your body clock might decide that it doesn’t like being wide awake to start at 6 am and then having to start a new shift at 10 pm.On that note I didn’t even dare to switch from being awake at night to being awake in the day at weekends on night trunking let alone the awful shock to the system the first night back after a long holiday.It sounds like a dangerous ■■■■ take to me.Especially if you’re still on the road between around 4 am - 7 am after that previous morning start.You’ll be lucky to keep the thing out of the ditch let alone between the lines.

I think the strangest I have done was 05:30 - 15:00 then 02:00 - 05:30 then 16:30 - 21:30.

It was the only way to get the job done and get home before rolling in to 7 days :sunglasses:

4aaaa4dd:
My boss wants me to do a couple of night shifts , he wants me to start at 6am drive to my collection point take my daily rest then start again at 10pm ? I’m not sure but is this legal , any advice would be appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

perfectly legal do it all the time, drive load in daily rest load out and go, uk Europe and beyond

Legal yes. Clever? Not really. I think I’d be starting to feel very tired around 1-2am and feel the need to park up, send the boss a text at 2am I wasn’t fit to drive through lack of sleep and go to sleep and stuff the delivery time. There’s a world of difference between doing a 15 then having 9 off and doing a 4/5hr shift, being expected to try to get to sleep at dinnertime when you’re a day driver and then doing a night run.

It is about time some transport offices learned that things like this just aren’t on at all. They wouldn’t do it so why should you? Do it once and you’ll find you end up being asked again.

robthedog:

4aaaa4dd:

Many thanks in advance.

perfectly legal do it all the time, drive load in daily rest load out and go, uk Europe and beyond

Sounds wonderful, do they employ you or sponsor you. :unamused: :smiley:

It’s perfectly legal but if it were me I’d be telling my company to shove it and get some other mug to do it, here’s my resignation see you later.

DickyNick:
It’s perfectly legal but if it were me I’d be telling my company to shove it and get some other mug to do it, here’s my resignation see you later.

Says the chap who is desperate to top the microlise chart :unamused: :laughing:

I’m doing similar today.
started 07.00 loaded ran near to holyhead called it a day at 12.45.
I will start at 01.30 for the ferry to Dublin.
It wasn’t planned but the weather caused some cancellations on the ferries and what where sailing where full.
The company will sort out my pay for the short day and the inconvenience rather adequately :wink:
plus its a nice early finish on my last day of the shift Monday :sunglasses:

■■■■ me theres some ■■■■■ drivers these days :unamused: :unamused:

Those are normal hours for Fridge Drivers [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

burnley-si:
[zb] me theres some ■■■■■ drivers these days :unamused: :unamused:

Bit harsh mate.
If your an owner driver like yourself, spot on fill yer boots, more hours, more money, that truck gets paid for, and you’ve a bit left over (or if you aint working for ■■■■ all like many o/ds… a lot left over :smiley: ) to show something for it, I’ve been there with the tee shirt.

On the other hand as an employed driver, (or even again, some owner drivers)…Get your life taken over, max out to an inch of that life, never have a social life, miss your kids growing up, spend weekends in other countries with minimal time off, like it’s some kind of endurance test…been there too unfortunately. :neutral_face:

Or like me become one of your ‘‘■■■■■■■’’…Get a lightbulb moment, see the job for what it is, realise it’s just a ■■■■ rat race, notice those ■■■■ ridiculous hours have taken over your life, and suddenlly say ‘‘■■■■ it’’ .
So…then cut your hours down through choice, and for the first time in over 30+ years actually HAVE a life. :bulb:
I’m off now to Wednesday morning btw. :sunglasses:

So mate, if the price of that is being called ‘‘A ■■■■■’’ by both owner drivers like yourself and the d/head ‘‘heroes’’ in the job…so be it, I can live with that no bother. :sunglasses:

Most of us have had do some weird shifts to make the job work, and there’s nothing illegal as such, but you need to make sure such odd hours are worth doing pay wise, or there’s enough down time to make it worth doing.

No, i wouldn’t do it now because i’m winding down and those of us of mature years shouldn’t really need the money (unless bad luck has kicked us up the ■■■■■■■■), but be assured there were times when i and other young drivers (now old) would have done all sorts for the extra bunce.