Two Horns?

Just a quiery, I was driving a volvo the other day and it had two horns.
Can anyone tell me why it has two buttons for a car type horn and the middle is a airhorn?

Thanks

A single tone ‘car type’ horn has to be fitted for the MOT, airhorns could not be used for an MOT. Things might be different now, I’m going back a few years.

Tiger.

our Volvo’s have the two different horn, but nether are air horns, the main one is louder, but I think it is just for scaring old lady’s the other one is so quiet it is hardly worth having

jimti:
our Volvo’s have the two different horn, but nether are air horns, the main one is louder, but I think it is just for scaring old lady’s the other one is so quiet it is hardly worth having

not quite true the centre of the wheel on volvo’s is a air horn, they are legal as the only horn needed as they are within the noise limit for out of hours tooting. but volvo feel the need to give you a silly horn too. mind you this helps when you want extra horns as you use the wiring to power them up :sunglasses:

Yea, daft, innit? The little one sounds like it should be on a Puch Maxi.

Harry Monk:
Yea, daft, innit? The little one sounds like it should be on a Puch Maxi.

its a bit tricky getting to the wires but well worth havin when you want either a whistle train horns or a pair of hadleys fitted. saves so much time and money for switches. :sunglasses:

Quiet horn for warning pedestrians
Loud for warning drivers

ROG:
Loud for warning drivers

Righto ROG!

Oh how to
choose?? What does that errant cyclist deserve?

our latest axors have two horns,on the older axors the horn sounded like mr beans mini, so after we complaned the next axors they ordered had the two horns fitted,which was a vast improvement.

It’s made some sense now.
Just seems stupid having a car type horn on any size truck.

In the US/Canada, the little one is known as the “city horn”.

Dunno then?:

ROG:
Loud for warning drivers

Righto ROG!

Oh how to
choose?? What does that errant cyclist deserve?

Anything in the cyclists ears ■■? - if yes, BIG HORN - if no, little horn

It is surprising how many drivers are unwilling to use the horn for what is what designed for - to warn another road user BEFORE an incident occurs
Using a horn AFTER the incident has occured is a waste of time and effort.

the big horn is for informing horse riders of your presence. :laughing:

limeyphil:
the big horn is for informing horse riders of your presence. :laughing:

That’s not a problem as long as the horse is deaf :wink: :laughing: :laughing:

Would a deaf horse have white & red coloured legs :question: :question: :question: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: