Two companies fined after driver killed by his own lorry

Silver_Surfer:
In the spirit of co-operation how about you guys on the other side of the fence come up with actual cogent suggestions for avoiding run aways if the driver fails to apply his units park brake rather than banging on about the catch all “periodic training”.

Peter, you’re up first…

In the 1930s, the RAF introduced planes with retractable undercarriages.

Loads of experience pilots landed with the wheels up, including once at the Hendon Air Display.

As the aircraft go more sophisticated, there were more and more similar accidents, involving pilots trying to take off with the propellor set at the wrong pitch etc.

It tended to be the most experienced pilots who were prone to this kind of incident: pilots who had trained on the more modern planes from the start did the right thing as a routine.

In America, the prototype Flying Fortress crashed because it took off with the locking pin still in the rudder.

So, in both the USA and the UK pilots were taught in a different way: by Mnemonics; where there was a letter for every essential action to be undertaken both when doing the walk round check on the plane and the ‘cockpit drill’ before takeoff and landing.

ie

HTMPFGS which stood for
-Hood, Hydraulics, Harness
-Trim, Temperatures, Tension (Throttle)
-Mixture, Mags
-Pitch(Prop), Pressures
-Fuel, Flaps
-Gills (cooling), Gyros
-Switches

Once this was introduced and implemented incidents of planes landing with the wheels up, or attempting to take off with the flaps or propellor set wrong diminished greatly…even under the pressures of combat.

Being recently qualified (July 2012) i was taught the legend B.L.A.N.K to use when uncoupling/coupling trailers thus:

Uncoupling
B- brakes (includes trailer park brake)
L- legs
A- airlines (and suzies)
N- numberplate
K- kingpin (and clip)

Coupling was the reverse of B.L.A.N.K

Works for me, especially as I don’t get to uncouple/couple that often (last time was December 2012 :open_mouth: )

Tazbug

Cold Up North:
Why dont they put the park/shunt button with the couplings on the front??

Why indeed? Theyre usually well hidden. I pull various trailers and at one hauliers yard I go to, I have trouble finding the dam things. All over the place like they didnt want you to know where they were.
A good idea to have them up front with the airlines, in a standard place.
R.I.P. mate.

cheekymonkey:

Cold Up North:

Why indeed? Theyre usually well hidden. I pull various trailers and at one hauliers yard I go to, I have trouble finding the dam things. All over the place like they didnt want you to know where they were.
A good idea to have them up front with the airlines, in a standard place.
R.I.P. mate.

I’ve wondered about this for years. The only ones that are in a decent place are the ones on extendable trailers.
I’ve done loads of dock work over the years and getting down the side of trailers is usually a none starter. If they were at the front then drivers would use them because they can access them.
When you think about this whole thing about companies getting sued, Then why wasn’t the company that taught him to drive lorries all those years ago sued? Or the trailer manufacturer? Maybe the EU should be sued for failing introduce legislation to prevent this happening?
The fact remains that this was driver error, They could dream up an endless list about who they should sue, But will it stop this sort of thing from happening? No, But doing something constructive will.

Did the same myself at tesco middlewich.
coupled up to a D/D then noticed i was rolling,so i pulled the red airline but it still carried on moving a few feet before stopping.
I was very lucky but it was a great learning curve and never done it since.

This happened only a few days ago outside our yard, brand new Actros jackknifed into two cars when the driver connected the air line and off she went (it’s on a fairly steep incline), he was so hung up on getting back on the road he forgot the basics.

Luckily only two cars got mashed and the driver managed to jump of the back before getting squished.

image.jpg

I don’t see the problem in putting the trailer brake on, the way I couple up is clip, plate, brake, legs (they should be off the ground if you’ve coupled up properly anyhow), lines, then back round checking lights, buckles etc and push brake in on the way. Even if catwalk access was on the drivers side the lines would be the last thing to do when coupling up.

About time I made an idiots guide…

Et voila:

This guide is not definitive (nor is it for newbies, they should be using BLANK until comfortable) but should give you an idea on how to do it professionally and avoid some of the minor pitfalls that become a driver. The guide also has you walking round the trailer twice, from drivers door clockwise and back (it doesn’t matter which side catwalk access is) it’s the most efficient way I have found to complete all checks whilst un/coupling safely.

Coupling up.

1. Check that the trailer is the correct one that you want, checking the number at this point may suffice. Ideally you’d want to check the load, check for defects and ensure the brake is on (see 17).

2. Have your suspension controls handy.

3. Put your catwalk light on and if you wish hazards. This should communicate to others that you’re going to do a manouver.

4. Get in position to reverse under. If the trailer is going to be heavy then drop your lifting axle at this point.

5. Check your mirrors and around you for anyone/anything that may get between the unit & trailer.

6. Reverse to the trailer, lowering suspension as you go. This stops grease being rubbed off on the lip and eventually ending up on your trousers.

7. STOP

8. Check the 5th wheel height is correct in relation to the trailer lip, more so when the trailer is heavy and sags. If it isn’t use the trailer/unit suspension controls and/or the winding handle in low gear.

9. Begin reversing under, using the suspension controls start to raise once the 5th wheel is fully under the trailer. Using the suspension stops trailer legs being bent and is kind to tarmac.

10. When the trailer starts to lift, push back into the pin whilst continuing to lift. You don’t need lots of welly even when the pin is slightly out of line, minimal revs are fine and you’ll be able to hear the distinctive click of the locking bar engaging. If you don’t lock in, put your hand brake on and get out and reset the handle, then pull forwards a few inches, not forgetting to lower and raise the trailer if you have to pull out completely.

11. The tug test, engage 1st gear and pull forwards TWICE, be sympathetic to the clutch (even in autos) you’re not trying to drag the trailer across the yard! Besides if you’re not locked in you’re gonna pop out like a jack in the box.

12. Put your side lights on and turn off the ignition & hazards. Modern units do not like the ignition on when connecting ABS & will occasionally throw up a fault.

13. Unlucky for some, ENGAGE THE PARK BRAKE then check you’ve done it!

14.Time to exercise, DO NOT GET DISTRACTED! First thing to do is put the dog clip in place. If it doesn’t fit then you’re not in properly.

1. If you wish, with the aid of a torch, check the locking bar is in place and the pin is in it’s correct position and no gaps between trailer & 5th wheel, this check should be compulsory if you’ve hooked up on uneven ground or when there is the slightest doubt.

2. Number plate, give it a wipe if need be.

3. BRAKE, usually red, usually near the trailer suspension controls, PULL to put the trailer brakes on.

4. Legs, now remember the fannying about with the suspension? The legs should now have the weight off them and wind up fairly easily. Stow the handle securely.

5. Lines, some say there is a set order, I haven’t found any order useful other than starting farthest from me and working back.

The RED line, WAIT a few seconds before twisting the collar, if you’ve started to move DON’T PANIC, DON’T try and leave the catwalk, calmly push the collar back towards the trailer and the line should pop out, it may take several long agonising seconds to come to a stop, but it will stop. Sometimes on uneven ground the trailer will settle when the red line is connected, this is unnerving but normal, it also means the trailer brake isn’t on!

The other lines, make sure they are engaged properly with collars given quarter of a turn and the ABS clip seated.

1. Make a mental note of the trailer number (usually on the headboard) and the height.

2. Check your side lights starting with the n/s markers, you can do other defect checks as you go and do your buckles/straps etc. Don’t forget to check the load corresponds with your paperwork. Oh and don’t forget to push the trailer brake in, hover about for a second or two ready to pull it if the rig moves. Also check the trailer suspension is in road going mode, they don’t always pop out.

3. Just before you climb up to the cab check the legs, lines and clip, easy to check, really embarrasing if you’ve forgotton anything.

4. Turn off your catwalk light.

5. Easy to forget this one, but really really embarrassing when it goes wrong, Set the height marker!

Uncoupling.

Pretty much a reverse of the above, again I do it in the most efficient way whilst being safe and leaving the trailer safe for others.

1. Check where you’re dropping the trailer, have you got enough room to get to your plate or legs? Is the ground sturdy enough for a laden trailer? Are the legs going to end up in a crater? Are you front heavy? If so sort it.

2. Once you’ve parked up, engage your park brake and check you’ve done it.

3. As before don’t get distracted, Lines, again no set order just stow them neatly using the ‘blanks’ where fitted.

4. Legs, wind down till firmly on the ground, no need to lift the trailer & unit, stow the handle.

5. Brake, Ideally it should be pulled to put the brakes on for the next guy (brakes are automatically on when the red line is disconnected), however if your yard has a tug and regular shunting about of trailers this ■■■■■■ off the shunters, if in doubt, pull it. If you’ve used the SHUNT button DO NOT forget to pull it.

6. Number plate, stow it in it’s proper place. On the bunk is not acceptable!

7. Clip, undo it and pull the pin.

8. Just before you climb up to the drivers seat, just check legs, lines and clip, again easy to do.

9. Raise supension, then pull forward out of the pin before lowering right down, ensure trailer and unit are separating vertically before pulling completely out. If the trailer is heavy there will be some sag, if it’s front heavy make sure that it’s backside isn’t going to go skywards!

10. Set suspension to normal and raise any lifting axles. Set height indicator if bobtailing.

Notes;

Not all trailer brakes are in the same place, as long as they’re applied before connecting the red line then all is good & well.

Cold Up North:

We have done this for a couple of fleets and also so it pops out when the red line is dropped and disabled the shunt too, costs about a couple of hundred quid per trailer. Needs to be all or nothing as there is a bit of a problem if drivers are unfamiliar with this with them, wasting a lot of time, hunting around for it in the usual places best thing is to leave the original housing box and put a clear sign on the lid stating where it’s been moved to.

When I worked at Peckover Transport a couple of years ago, this guy from the yard next door forgot to apply his handbrake too! He was a lucky sod as he was still stood on the catwalk as it came over the edge and wedged itself onto the back of one of Peckovers rigids. Some major brown pants time there me thinks!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21367096332.416919.jpg

worked out of the bison factory at bellshill. after that accident health and safety got very strict. trailer handbrakes where checked every morning and if you got out of wagon you had to switch off engine and put trailer brake on as well as vehicle handbrake. as far as i know its still as strict. (working elsewhere now.) have done something similar but got away with it. rip drive.

Can somebody wipe my ■■■ FFS .you are supposed to be DRIVERS!!!

Bking:
Can somebody wipe my ■■■ FFS .you are supposed to be DRIVERS!!!

Some can’t do that if there isn’t a risk assesement in place. :laughing:

Like as has been said if you can get in to the habit of always applying the trailer park brake then this may prevent some runaways due to unit hand brake forgetfulness but that’s a site specific training & implementation issue not an operator training issue.

The only other idea I have is always using wheel chocks when uncoupling from any trailer & the only sites I know of in the country doing this are DHL sites, bit if a faff if you ask me on every trailer drop but I suppose if it saves your firm £400k on a prosecution & someone’s life, I’d implement it, again a site specific measure & not operator driven

Still not fool proof though as you could be all coupled, remove the chocks last & she still might sail away, you’d be less likely to go under the wheels maybe. Suppose you may not be able to remove them as the trailer would already have rolled its weight onto them.

All the reminder stickers & signing of safe procedures implemented by the operator for their drivers just isn’t going to prevent forgetfulness & human error.

Or even better, modify the truck so you can’t open the door if the hand brake isn’t engaged, can’t think of any problems with that.

When one of the directors of a trucking company gets sent to prison for corporate manslaughter then training will be given priority until then deaths will keep happening…

Simple answer would be a hand brake that is automaticaly applied when a gear is not selected and no gearbox rotation is sensed.

Or get some drivers who know what the hell they are doing.

Think I would go for the latter.

I was a manager at a company that was prosecuted when a driver didn’t check the trailer brake and then failed to apply the handbrake on the tractor. Nobody was hurt or killed, just damage to property but the company was prosecuted. During an interview under caution I was asked whether we had trained and instructed drivers in the use of parking brakes and whether we monitored the use of parking brakes.

After that incident we introduced a procedure involving banksmen, wheel chocks, airline locks and signing bits of paper. it didn’t happen again.

There is a neat little valve available to plumb into a trailer brake system. it prevents the driver releasing the trailer park brake. When he pushes the red button in - the brakes stay on until he gets in the cab and presses the foot brake. pretty good idea I thought.