Two companies fined after driver killed by his own lorry

If you’ve got a HGV licence you should know not to leave the handbrake off when coupling, this nanny culture of H&S BS really boils my ■■■■.

Be having to tell blokes to do their zipper up in the mornings and getting them to sign a risk assessment for it next, jeez.

Why dont they put the park/shunt button with the couplings on the front??

If the H&S wallahs are that concerned about this type of thing happening then they should make the Tesco type park brake system a legal requirement on new build trailers whereby the parking brake comes on automatically when the red air line is detached.

But that would be too useful for a european H&S directive, they’d rather you had to put a bit of reflective tape down the side of the trailer instead and go on DCPC courses which are a load of bobbins. :laughing:

Why?
The legal system in this country needs sorting out. These judges need sacking.
This sort of thing shouldn’t even get to court, There was only one person to blame, But sadly he’s dead.

peter s:

Silver_Surfer:
If you’ve got a HGV licence you should know not to leave the handbrake off when coupling, this nanny culture of H&S BS really boils my ■■■■.[/quot

One of your drivers nearly got killed doing the same thing and you come out with this BS You really are a dumb ■■■.

I also fail to understand why the companies have been fined.

Tragic accident, RIP.

Phantom Mark:

Because previous incidents had occurred and they chose to do nothing about it.

To deter other companies from having the same attitude.

To prevent them gaining a competitive advantage over companies that take the time and trouble to train their staff properly.

GasGas:

Phantom Mark:

To prevent them gaining a competitive advantage over companies that take the time and trouble to train their staff properly.

So you need training to apply a hand brake? time you and your ilke got out the job.
This is why this industry is now a bloody joke.

I believe that a trailer will not move if the brake has not been applied ( unless it has a defect ) therefore, the accident would not have happened IF the driver had used the handbrake, i too am wondering why 2 companies have been fined for a H&S breach, which was brought on by one of its own employees, if the story is correct, it states that the driver was walking around the front of the vehicle, when it ran him over, i would have thought that he could have felt the truck moving towards him, but without knowing all of the facts, no one can say exactly what happened, but r.i.p. to the poor soul anyway.

GasGas:

Phantom Mark:

I’m really beginning to think your posts are either just a pointless mis-use of electrons or your some kind of bot.

Company,s need to give drivers training then retrain them over a period of time.
The vast majority and the courts realise this… But it costs money so companies ignore the law…then when an accident happens they deserve to get slapped …the managers should be charged with corporate manslaughter …can,t afford training latest safety equipment…nail these crap bosses I say!!!

Bking:

GasGas:

Phantom Mark:

So you need training to apply a hand brake? time you and your ilke got out the job.

I don’t, maybe you don’t, but perhaps the guy who didn’t apply his brake did.

In the last year I think this is the third fatal involving this type of mistake that has been discussed on here…and they all seem to involve older and more experienced drivers.

People can forget to do routine things… they get away with it…they get lazy…or complacent…or in a hurry…then sometimes they or someone else get killed.

Then we all say ‘RIP driver’ and move on…but do we learn anything?

Own Account Driver:

GasGas:

Phantom Mark:

I’m really beginning to think your posts are either just a pointless mis-use of electrons or your some kind of bot.

Something to help you:

Your posts are rubbish

You’re the author of posts that are rubbish

peter s:

peter s:

Silver_Surfer:
If you’ve got a HGV licence you should know not to leave the handbrake off when coupling, this nanny culture of H&S BS really boils my ■■■■.[/quot

One of your drivers nearly got killed doing the same thing and you come out with this BS You really are a dumb ■■■.

Yeah but Peter, this is HUMAN ERROR no amount of bleepers, warning buzzers (which were active) and me telling him every day to make sure he puts the hand brake on before he gets out of the cab would have avoided the one and only time he forgot to apply his vehicles hand brake before he got out of the cab in the 5 years odd he worked for me. All the training in the world won’t prevent HUMAN ERROR until we have robots driving the wagons. Like I say, if you have the licence you’ve enough training to know to apply your hand brake.

Who’s the dumb ■■■?

Bking:

GasGas:

Phantom Mark:

Amen.

The only thing Bison could have done better is put signs up in the yard stating that parking brakes must be engaged when dropping trailers & telling their shunters (oh no sorry getting them to sign a piece of paper with this instruction on, then we can call it training, maybe it counts toward DCPC for the win?).

No disrespect to the deceased but i’m sure even he would admit if he were still alive that it was his fault for forgetting to apply the handbrake.

After my driver did this, I called him an idiot and said no more about it. The guy knew he’d been stupid and was ashamed of himself, my labouring the point would have served no purpose.

In the spirit of co-operation how about you guys on the other side of the fence come up with actual cogent suggestions for avoiding run aways if the driver fails to apply his units park brake rather than banging on about the catch all “periodic training”.

Peter, you’re up first…

I have just ordered some stickers for my trailers “ensure park brake is applied before coupling or uncoupling”.
Our volvo’s have the buzzer which goes off when you open the door, so those combined should keep people safe.

I think company common practice has a lot to do with wether you put them in or not. We pull trailers for a company who’s drivers always apply them because they are loaded from floor level, so they say it stops them being pushed back when coupling. I have yet to find a trailer of theirs that hasn’t had the park brake applied. No signs, memos or shouting, it just what everybody gets used to doing in their coupling proceedure.