Two bad days in a row

Oh Well
got a call last week offering me a Hiab Job for two weeks in Preston so said yes … 7.30 start got to place at 715 am had a brew with the Yard manager he seemed ok i asked him if we where to be given the Right post codes or are they like most builders supplies and give the wrong ones he laughed and said have you worked here before then :smiley: then in came depot manager took me upstairs for an induction … all theire safty rulles ect then a 10 test to show i could use a Hiab in the Yard when we got out side the crane was left up in the air while the flt driver loaded the truck With no support legs down … :frowning: so did my checks on the truck sides all damaged due to flt banging them … would not fasten properly and i was told oh tye them up with rope or strap them by manager :imp:
then when I tried to bring out the legs the off side would not work :frowning: then i notest a leak on one of the pipes …pointed it out to manager who said well i will get the engineer out when you get back … so not wanting to be a winger i took it on the chin and set off on the 1 ST of 4 drops A LITTLE NARROW ONE WAY street IN preston right smack bang in the middle of town :open_mouth: all one way and very narrow streets :open_mouth: got to the corner and thought wow thats a bit tight carrs all down the street so parked up walked down to number 14 knocked and no answer … back to truck phoned office and was told sorry should be number 4 not 14 ok so back down street knock knock on number 4 then a polish lady answered i said i have a load of bricks for you but cant get down the street and cant unload over the top of cars anyway so where do you want them :grimacing: she said they are not for me i dont want any bricks :open_mouth: uhhhh so then back to truck phoned office again and told them i have wasted 30 mins here now whats going on sales man said i will phone you back after 15 mins he did and said the address and post code was totaly wrong should have been ******* drive not street ( no sorry or anything like that ) but here is the new post code and it was the other side of town in fact i passed the place going to the wrong address …the next drop was a doddle easy site no probs then . next drop was in Forton nr lancaster again a narrow lane with 12 inches to spare on each side of truck got to the house with cars behind me stopped in a cutout to let the cars pass then backed up to the drop site got the nearside leg out to use the Hiab and another cars stopped behind so told him he would have to wait ten mins while i unload ( not happy but waited ) the customer was a awkward as could be i want the sand bag there and the bricks over there when i said no can do as the over head phone line was to low and it would have to be put together in a safe drop zone he saw his arse … but i droped it got my notes signed and off to my next drop then the Brake WARNING came on in the cab … so again phone the office was told sit tight an they would phoen the engineer after 15 mins got a call back saying cant get engineer but spoke to the other driver who says yea its ok it does that its a fualty switch . why was it not on the other drivers vehicle check sheet then the answer was oh I dont know :question: anyway i told them that i would do my last drop and take the truck back …then i phoned the agent told him the score and he said well see if they fix it and phone me and i told him no mate im goin home by this time it was 1pm … last drop went ok exept the Hydrolic leak got worse and then back in yard where a hydrolic pipe fitter fixed the leak manager came out and I told him Sorry mate But this is not the Job for me as i have held a clean licence and would like to keep it that way …he said please will you do this last drop in penberton 10 mins down the road I SAID OK but thats it then as Hiab was fixed but not happy about truck brake warnng light being on anyway got to drop at about 4pm unloaded and back in yard by 4.45pm …told the the manager that if the break warnng prob was ongoing it should have been in defect book and was not as i had checked last few weeks pages and it wasnt on when i left the yard :wink: the crane should not operate without the legs being dropped (safty feture had been bypassed) :angry: and i had wasted over an hour on first drop due to his sales team giving me the wrong address not once but twice. shook his hand and went home :frowning: …then got 3 calls from 3 different Agent offering me the same Job Again next day lol (I dont nead to tell you what i said do I )
Had yesterday off then last night got a call last night from a new Agent offering me a Class 1 job today at Montgomerys transport this morning I said yes SO GOT THERE AT 5.45am for a 6 am start waited in office TM took my licence to copy then came back asked when i had passed my test told him and he said sorry cant use you as we have a two year rule ( insurance ) uhhhhhhhh :imp: so I am now waiting for a call back from said Agent to say what they are going to do about the days pay i have now lost due to them sending me on a job that i wasnt covered by insurance on :unamused:
two bad days in a row uhhh So things can only get better I HOPE :open_mouth:

Oh dear, not a good couple of days at all. It sounds like you are getting a dose of what I had a couple of weeks ago :frowning: . Never mind mate, agency work is all a numbers game, isn’t it? At least you have got a couple of the ‘bad numbers’ out of the way.

No fun when you turn-up for a job and get a shed to drive, is it? (I know, we have had this conversation before). :slight_smile:

Can’t see any reason you should not be paid for the wasted day, you kept your side of the bargain so they should keep their side.

Good luck
Alan

Have to say the HIAB hassles you had there, sounded like everyday i had last summer, wrong postcodes ,warning lights on, arsey customers and ridiculous drops, here is one of them, although narrower than it looks its the last house at the end of the ginnell on the right where the car bonnet is sticking out, g.co/maps/kjhhp ( just pan round and checkout the road its much steeper than it looks !!) the customer said “just back down there mate”. Yeah right !! four tons of gravel left beside the wall at the entrance,the customer tried to phone B&Q customer services to complain as i offloaded, showed him my delivery handbook which stated “all deliveries are kerbside and completed at the drivers discretion” :laughing: he refused to sign my notes so i just self signed and drove off.

Did the OP get paid while they sorted out the mistake in the delivery address?

It seems a normal day in road haulage to me, although I would be embarrassed about the oil leak and would try to find a suitable container to catch the leaks

LOL not just oil wheelnut i would have been ok with that mate but not on the Hiab hydrolic system when it effects the support leg from comming out mate .( I did catch the leaks not in a container though but on film ) . :open_mouth: . I cant belive the paperwork on health and safty that they gave me in the induction then gave me a truck like that . yea i did get paid while they sorted their mistakes out but didnt like getting a phone call later from a snotty nosed spotty little teanager asking how i was doing for time as they had a load more deliveries for me :unamused: (my reply was if i hadnt wasted an hour on 2 wrong addresses for my 1st drop that you gave me i would be back now and the truck has to be fixed before I use the Hiab again so i wont be going streight back out anyway OH and what about my LEGAL break BYE BYE )… :wink:

Hi Roadrunner
Yep a tight one that mate lol the thing is these idiots in the office should realise the probs before agreeing to do the delivery or cant they use google had a few like that in the past when i have done work fo Jewsons round Blackburn and Nelson but got full back up from managment and at least i had a truck that was safe .

Alan how are ya lol
yea thats the thing with the Agents mate but at least the one who gave me this one knows his stuff and Phoned them to say that he cant supply another driver as i was the only one on his books with remote Hiab and thats why i got calls from the other Agents im with offering me the same job for friday (today) and all next week …but they all got the same answer and a big NO Thanks :wink: The Manager new nothing about HGVs Or HIABs yet he did my Induction and he wanted another driver on the same truck the next day knowing full well the Break Fault light on the dash was still on …just to get his deliveries out on time .
But I bet he would be the first to turn his back if somthing went wrong and some one got hurt or even worse then it would all fall on the drivers shoulders . :imp: But Part of the blame has to go to their own driver who must just drive it anyway as he has put nothing in the deffect book for weeks …I Checked it and then took photos of the faults just in case … :wink:

Regards Roy