Twistlocks

Wheel Nut:

andywalker:
It is on a flat trailer which does have 2 twistlocks at the front, we secure the rear with rachet and strap, they are only 20’ containers. I’m only asking the question as someone who used to work on the docks mentioned that they had to have 4 twistlocks, but i thought that this was only there rules, not actually law. Surely as long as it is adequately secured, it doesn’t matter which methods are applied

If it is an empty container, than a ratchet strap should be fine, but with any load I would prefer a chain. Twistlocks are not tested during an MOT, so are not a legal requirement, but the dockers had a bit of a purge in the early days of containers as it put many Stevedores out of work.

Twistlocks are now part of the MOT. I got an advise for a centre lock 2years ago.
I was carrying a 40ft for the test, the vosa gent :unamused: tapped the centre lock with his xray hammer
and said it didnt sound right but he couldn’t test it properly as the 40ft was covering it
I would only get an advise :confused: :confused: generous of him eh? regards kevmac47.

Is it a legal requirement to use twistlocks when carrying containers, or is this just advisable

andywalker:
Is it a legal requirement to use twistlocks when carrying containers, or is this just advisable

I doubt you will get loaded on any docks without twistlocks but chains are certainly used to secure them on a lowloader when necessary.

John Dickinson regularly pull containers as a backload when they deliver big Cats. I presume they chain them on

How else would you secure it onto a skelly? Or do mean onto a flat trailer? If thats what you mean then I’d not be too happy if it was a 40 foot container. Smaller than 20 then a couple of ratchett straps maybe but I don’t think there’s any legal ewquirement other than it be secure.

It is on a flat trailer which does have 2 twistlocks at the front, we secure the rear with rachet and strap, they are only 20’ containers. I’m only asking the question as someone who used to work on the docks mentioned that they had to have 4 twistlocks, but i thought that this was only there rules, not actually law. Surely as long as it is adequately secured, it doesn’t matter which methods are applied

andywalker:

If it is an empty container, than a ratchet strap should be fine, but with any load I would prefer a chain. Twistlocks are not tested during an MOT, so are not a legal requirement, but the dockers had a bit of a purge in the early days of containers as it put many Stevedores out of work.

i had a letter from vosa iro 2/3 years ago saying that twistlocks among a few other things were going to be part of the test from… (cant remember the date)
about 6 months ago i tested my short trailer with twistlocks fitted and they never tried them!
moose

Moose:
i had a letter from vosa iro 2/3 years ago saying that twistlocks among a few other things were going to be part of the test from… (cant remember the date)
about 6 months ago i tested my short trailer with twistlocks fitted and they never tried them!
moose

(Apologies}

It seems as if they are fitted they must be complete pairs, but removal is permitted :bulb:

Twistlocks.JPG

From the VOSA Testers Guide

they definately are part of the mot test if they do not click into place and lock this is a fail and new locks required

peterq5422:
they definately are part of the mot test if they do not click into place and lock this is a fail and new locks required

Or they can be removed in pairs as mentioned above, and therefore not tested

peterq5422:

correct, and is liable to get a delayed PG9 if found at a roadside check

there are companies that remove the two at the very front of a 14 lock skelly, this would still pass an MoT though, if all the remaining 12 locks are in good working order

shuttlespanker:

peterq5422:

correct, and is liable to get a delayed PG9 if found at a roadside check

there are companies that remove the two at the very front of a 14 lock skelly, this would still pass an MoT though, if all the remaining 12 locks are in good working order

I can understand that with a skeletal trailer, otherwise what use is the trailer, maybe the OP needs to explain why he wants to carry a container on a flat body.

Probably wouldn’t cost too much to have 2 twist locks retro fitted at the rear?

Wheel Nut:
John Dickinson regularly pull containers as a backload when they deliver big Cats. I presume they chain them on

I served my time on the spanners for JD, most of their stepframes have twistlocks fitted, but not the low loaders. It is deemed to be acceptable to chain them on, never been refused loading.