Twin lift tauts

saw one of one of these combos parked up in a lay by, tri axle config but only the middle axle was on the ground, first one ive ever seen (or maybe just noticed), is this standard and people just run about normally with all 3 on the ground? if its not standard is it not cost effective against what it saves in wear and tear etc against price of them compared to normal taut? what use would you have for one againt a normal tri axle taut?

seen plenty with single lift axle just never with 2.

just curious

cheers.

Used to have a few trailers that’d lift 1 axle, the only ones I see that lift as you described have been foreign - lots of light miles like that would be a hell of a saving on tyres and fuel and braking.

Not standard, but a damned good idea, but it weights something, and that comes off your payload…

i have that set up. main reasons for the 2 lifts are that the front can be lifted to aid traction when on loose ground, and back can be lifted to give a shorter turning circle for tight yards, but hardly ever run with both up as most manufacturers won’t cover under warranty as too much weight on one axle ever running empty!

I’ve noticed a lot more lately have had the front most axle lifted, not seen one with two though.

A lot of the time in europe there seems to be a trend for 5 axle rigids with 2 lifts though.

I have had this set up in the past on a 44t spec 33ft flat trailer, you can run with both up no problem as an empty flat/tautliner wont weigh 8 t empty ( thats what your axle is plated at)
the one i have at the moment is 44t spec 33 ft and has a front lift and rear steer

Cruise Control:
saw one of one of these combos parked up in a lay by, tri axle config but only the middle axle was on the ground, first one ive ever seen (or maybe just noticed), is this standard and people just run about normally with all 3 on the ground? if its not standard is it not cost effective against what it saves in wear and tear etc against price of them compared to normal taut? what use would you have for one againt a normal tri axle taut?seen plenty with single lift axle just never with 2.just curiouscheers.

Was it dutch? Seen one in Dublin, about 10 years ago, whilst waiting to ship back for Manchester airport! :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

I can lift all three axles on mine.

Doesn’t save much, just makes trailer run six inches lower!

I had one of these when I was on for a German company.

I loved going across the Humber Bridge because they were convinced it was 4 or 5 axles and had to reduce my crossing price down to 3 axles.

One problem I did find was that they do bounce a lot.

We had several types, some lifted the front and rear while others lifted both front and centre axles which obviously alters the geometry quite severely

I did look at front and rear lifts about 10 years ago but was told by the engineers at fruehauf it would affect the stability of the trailer so they wouldn’t build me one. A new 13.6m trailer can’t legally have a front lift these days as it wouldn’t get thru turning circle regs, you could only have a rear lift, and I don’t want to increase the rear swing on the trailer by 655 mm for the sakes of saving a tiny bit of tyre and brake wear.

coiler:
A new 13.6m trailer can’t legally have a front lift these days as it wouldn’t get thru turning circle regs.

Really? I pull a front lift with a rear steer and it follows lovely. Better than a standard tri I’d say.

I was recently in Dennisons in Naas and they told me the front lift is no longer type approved for EU turning circle regs. so it will no longer be offered as an option. As far as I remember it will be an option on the rear, but I’m not 100% on that.

DaiDap:

coiler:
A new 13.6m trailer can’t legally have a front lift these days as it wouldn’t get thru turning circle regs.

Really? I pull a front lift with a rear steer and it follows lovely. Better than a standard tri I’d say.

Front lift only permited with a rear steer to meet turning circle requirements afaik

saw a good one the other day, heading east bound on a180 before immingham, overtook a dutch sounding firm, on uk plate’s, (marron truck’s), it was pulling an empty 40ft skelly, with both axle’s 1 and 2 lifted, now how the hell that’d get a round the turning reg’s i don’t know…

If he’s got a rear steer then it shouldn’t be a problem.

baz.snn:
I was recently in Dennisons in Naas and they told me the front lift is no longer type approved for EU turning circle regs. so it will no longer be offered as an option. As far as I remember it will be an option on the rear, but I’m not 100% on that.

Yea they told me the same a couple of weeks ago