Twin Bunks

when i was a kid i was obsessed whith trucks that had twin bunks(i always thought it the mark of a true long distance truck)
Always hoped my grandads firm would get rid of the Volvo F86s and F7 and get something more substantial lol
Well the day came, he went onto a new contract and they all got brandnew Merc 1619s medium cab with twin Bunks(top one could only be put down with the seats tilted) the fridge trailers even had front and back TIR plates, i was as proud as anything even though we never went abroad lol

So what wagons had twin bunks from back in the day(ie did the little daf 2300s ,scamell crusaders and plenty of others)

And if anybody has pictures of the bunk layouts please post away

JonB1973:

Here you go JohnB, a 1989 Volvo F12 left ■■■■■■ to ‘start the ball rolling’;

Ross.

In 1974 i was working for Chapman &Ball and the first lorry i had was a Fiat 619 with twin bunks great motor loads of room and large sleeping area. but we were doing eastern europe and middle east. i wish i could find one now to put into the show circuit. regards terry

First “production” double sleeper cab in Europe, unless someone knows better- 1955 Mercedes LP315:

lp315int.jpg

1955_lp315.jpg
Phots from Mercedes’ website which, in my experience, is practically un-navigable.

ERF B series were twin bunks. You could sleep on both without having to rearrange the cab. Did so many times although I must admit there wasn’t much room for the larger version of me to turn over :blush:

Was gutted when my twin bunk Eurotech was replaced with a single bunk FM Globetrotter.
The amount of cases of Stella i used to cram onto the top bunk of the ole girl beggars belief.
Seemed to go through a lot of cab mountings though! :laughing: :laughing:

Thanks for the replys lads

The 1619 was the only twin bunk my grandad ever had(unless you count the big Iveco/fiat his firm used to rent from Graylease every now and again)

The next wagon he got was a single bunk 1625 (and i was devastated to find that one of the other drivers had got a 1628 with permanent twin bunks) lol :smiley:

Heres a couple of old-uns for you. I believe the first one is a Mercedes, and the second a Henschel.

That bottom one looks more like a coffin :laughing:
I look at the size of the bunks both then and now and wonder how I ever slept in european truck when my resent truck has a 3/4 width bed in the sleeper (room for two if you have the missus with you) and I can actually walk round in the cab between the driving area and the bed.
Anyway ! My first experience of doube bunks wason a night out in Knottingly at Rockware glass when I worked on Swifts. My Volvo F7 was off the road and I had been sent out in a Ford ‘D’ series day cab rigid but got held up there with no sleeper. Jock Shepard (old ■■■■) has a Ford Transcontinental with wto bunks and as we sat in the pub he said " Away with ya laddie, here’s ma kays, start the engine and git in tha top bunk" and then ordered another pint.
I did as he asked and was just snoozing off on his top bunk when he returned to the cab as drunk as a skunk, got in the bottom bunk and proceeded to ■■■■ every 5 minutes for the entire night and as ■■■■ rises I got the worst of it.
Over here running team I found it extremely hard to sleep as the other guy ripped down the interstate at 75mph.

bigr250:

JonB1973:

Here you go JohnB, a 1989 Volvo F12 left ■■■■■■ to ‘start the ball rolling’;

Ross.

I had an F10 on Fed Ex and loved it :slight_smile:

Nearest I ever got to twin bunks was the seats and shelf of a Bedford KM.

The only twin bunk cab i had was in 1996 a DAF 85 with it being such a low cab there was no room on the top bunk if you were bigger than a fly

back in 1979 when i passed my test my first truck was a M.A.N 16.232 with a column change. flat as a ■■■■ and took forever to get going, however the cab for the day was very spacious with having the column change and “flat” dash plenty of room to move around and i thought it was the dog’s with twin bunk’s.

I always used to wonder what trucks had the twin bunks? Maybe some of you chaps can help

Scammell crusader?
Daf 2300/2500?
Maggie 310?
Renault 310/Saviem?
Atkinson 400?
Erf B series?
Bedford TM?
Ford trancontinental?

Any photos would be great

hi 141 and f89 twin bunks

Pat Hasler:
That bottom one looks more like a coffin :laughing:

I look at the size of the bunks both then and now and wonder how I ever slept in european truck when my resent truck has a 3/4 width bed in the sleeper (room for two if you have the missus with you) and I can actually walk round in the cab between the driving area and the bed.
Anyway ! My first experience of doube bunks wason a night out in Knottingly at Rockware glass when I worked on Swifts. My Volvo F7 was off the road and I had been sent out in a Ford ‘D’ series day cab rigid but got held up there with no sleeper. Jock Shepard (old ■■■■) has a Ford Transcontinental with wto bunks and as we sat in the pub he said " Away with ya laddie, here’s ma kays, start the engine and git in tha top bunk" and then ordered another pint.
I did as he asked and was just snoozing off on his top bunk when he returned to the cab as drunk as a skunk, got in the bottom bunk and proceeded to ■■■■ every 5 minutes for the entire night and as ■■■■ rises I got the worst of it.
Over here running team I found it extremely hard to sleep as the other guy ripped down the interstate at 75mph.

I thought he was having a bath !! :laughing:

The Daf 3300 i drove was a twin bunk :slight_smile:

The 2300 Daf had a similar set up to the 2800, but only a single bunk, you could have a low mounted bunk with lots of headroom, or a high mounted bunk with lots of storage, in the 2800 you could have a top and bottom bunk or lower the top bunk to have headroom and storage underneath. That was a really good arrangement and they also had a really comfy mattress :wink:

My first twin bunk was a 111, by that time everything but the medium cabbed Mercs and F88s/F10s had twin bunks and it was an option in the Mercs and Volvos :wink:

My current sleeper looks like this

Except mine has an upper bunk where the cupboards are on this one, my top bunk folds up along its centreline, I can get a load of gear up there and it gets held in by the front section which is vertical when folded up, so it’s much more useful than a few cupboards and a bit of headroom :sunglasses:

Is that a trouser press on the top right?? :open_mouth:

fly sheet:
Is that a trouser press on the top right?? :open_mouth:

No it’s the mini-bar :laughing: :laughing: