TVs

I want to buy a tv for my truck, Im just wondering what people have, what they would recomend and what they wouldnt recomend?
Im not to fussed about a dvd player, but would be good and id prefer something with its own battery. If i rememeber right, a while back, you used to see big ariels sticking out of windows etc, but dont see that much now, have ariels been improved? (i have seen tvs with them only about 5 inches big, are these any good?) And of course the cheaper the better.lol
any help, advise or links would be good or if any one has something similar for sale, i dont mind 2nd hand.

thanks

I used to just take a dongle that went in my laptop, saved me taking a seperate tv as I’d take my laptop anyway (handy for googleing places etc).

Ariel wise, I used a powered internal ariel and it did ok but not everywhere, those that look like the satalite dish are supposed to be good, but the only time a driver was telling me how good it was, I had a picture on mine too, so can’t comment.

Search Maplin website, look in the “B” Grade section. I purchased a 9" Freeview TV & DVD which is great and only cost £99. Works really well.Has 12v supply and remote.

Richer Sounds do a 15" combined tv/dvd which runs on mains or 12v for about £99. For another £10 you add 5 years insurance which means if the tv goes wrong anytime in those 5 years it is replaced with the same model or like for like.

If your gonna buy a TV make sure it has free view built in,most these days do.
You need a decent aerial,got mine suctioned onto the sunroof,got it from CDC at the stockyard for about £80,works a treat. :wink:

Newcastle-Paul:
I want to buy a tv for my truck, Im just wondering what people have, what they would recomend and what they wouldnt recomend?
Im not to fussed about a dvd player, but would be good and id prefer something with its own battery. If i rememeber right, a while back, you used to see big ariels sticking out of windows etc, but dont see that much now, have ariels been improved? (i have seen tvs with them only about 5 inches big, are these any good?) And of course the cheaper the better.lol
any help, advise or links would be good or if any one has something similar for sale, i dont mind 2nd hand.

thanks

first of all, if you type in the search box TV, I`m sure theres loads of threads with more specific info.
Secondly, does the TV need to be small, portable? (are you a cab hopper, or a 1 man, 1 truck tramper?)
do you want a flat screen?
How big a screen do you want, (if its going to be permenant fixture in 1 truck, try measuring the spot your going to put it)
Does the truck have 12 volt supply, rated high enough to power a TV? or will you need an inverter?
When you have that info, the members here may be able to you with more specific replies.

Or when your off down Tescos, Asda, Sainburys etc next weekend with the Mrs, send here off alone for the groceries, while you head to the TV section, then go annoy the staff by setting off the alarms, as you spin the TVs around and look at the Jack plugs on the back/side. Because suprisingly, several of the "own brand" 17", 19", & 22" cheapo TVs do have a 12 volt input power jack on them, (tesco = teknika?) this is a throw back from when they used to make em with a huge brick type 3 pin plug, that dropped the power from 240v to 12v

I thought this was going to be about Reading services again!

you’ll find a cheap one in Blackpool on a saturday night.
have about 8 pints, and don’t tell your mates. :laughing:

If you have free internet on your mobile just use that connected to a laptop and download the free readon tv viewer, hundreds of free tv channels from around the world including the uk’s main 1 - 5 + more and also films & the naughty stuff etc etc etc

I went out and bought one of these, nice bit of kit but I had to find an aerial that worked with it.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=134&pID=68763