TV Police documentaries

There are quite a few doing the repeat runs on Freeview, in all the car chases to catch criminals, there are six or more police cars, dog units and a helicopter, and a stinger, but they get away from the police, cops running on foot lose the criminals in the woods .

Amazing where all these cars come from, very rare to see any traffic patrols round here; I’ve been told by a reliable source that sometimes there isn’t a front-line cop within 10 miles of this sizeable town (plenty doing paperwork in the HQ, perhaps).

Dangerous drivers know there are no police around, and get away with horrendous driving in lorries, cars and vans, the amount of knob heads in lorries tailgating in averagespeed rroadworks is appalling and they should lose their vocational entitlement
for five years .
Then retake the Lgv 1 test.

Theirs one where they pull over some HGV driver…vehicle got reported for wandering from lane one onto the hard shoulder and back again

They pulled him over … for a few mins he wouldn’t get out the cab…ended up with the traffic officer opening the door and grabbing him on a busy motorway… then when they got him to the car and started explaining to him why they pulled him… one of the officer noticed he was chewin an airways…Well you didnt need to be a rocket scientist to work out what was coming

Asked him when did he have his last drink…which he came back with last night… but the offices pointed out they could smell it on his body…anyway breathalyzed him … 3 times over the legal limit and all the driver came out with is " I cant believe it "… what a ■■■■

When they drove his unit to the nearest services, they noticed a half opened can of special brew and plenty of empties in a carrier bag and more full ones on the bunk…

Should have been banned for life

ChunkyChunk:
Theirs one where they pull over some HGV driver…vehicle got reported for wandering from lane one onto the hard shoulder and back again

They pulled him over … for a few mins he wouldn’t get out the cab…ended up with the traffic officer opening the door and grabbing him on a busy motorway… then when they got him to the car and started explaining to him why they pulled him… one of the officer noticed he was chewin an airways…Well you didnt need to be a rocket scientist to work out what was coming

Asked him when did he have his last drink…which he came back with last night… but the offices pointed out they could smell it on his body…anyway breathalyzed him … 3 times over the legal limit and all the driver came out with is " I cant believe it "… what a ■■■■

When they drove his unit to the nearest services, they noticed a half opened can of special brew and plenty of empties in a carrier bag and more full ones on the bunk…

Should have been banned for life

You mean this one.

youtube.com/watch?v=VcNduODA9R0

You’ll be surprised how quickly other resources can be pulled in from quite a wide geographical area. Good communication and control of resources from the control room is key.

I used to work the West Oxfordshire patch which was essentially Oxford ring road to Burford (East to West) and Bampton to Chipping Norton - that was a huge area to cover. On average at night (2200-0700) we’d have 6 response officers double crewed. Three patrols + Sgt. Generally one patrol would be ■■■■■■■ with paperwork (court files etc); the other two could be on enquiries for other departments or for their own files; or responding to incidents.

Anyhow, I digress. Of course there would often be at least a couple of traffic cars from Bicester; but they would be covering the northern area of Oxfordshire, and two to cover the southern patch from Abingdon. Now, we would probably also have a dog unit and firearms unit covering the whole of Oxfordshire.

Anyhow, I recall a shout I went to - ram raid in Burford, around midnight. I responded from Chippy (took about 6 minutes), arriving literally just as the suspects were leaving scene. Now they had an A4 Quattro which didn’t give my 1.4 diesel astra much chance; but I managed to grab a partial numberplate and kept up long enough to pass direction of travel etc. In that time, resources had been dispatched to close the net; a traffic unit which had responded from Banbury caught sight of the vehicle in Standlake about ten minutes later - impressive run down - but lost contact near Faringdon. The force helicopter was grounded due to weather. A dog unit then caught sight at Stanford in the Vale, managed to maintain contact until an Abingdon traffic unit caught up at Wantage; by which point units from Reading were now drawing in. The pursuit proper started in Wantage; ran through to Leckhampstead and onto Newbury where it was successfully ‘stung’ and subsequently abandoned.

Despite being on scene almost immediately, the suspects had gone to ground in a wooded area. A cordon was put on and the area searched which, after about 12 hours, all 4 suspects were arrested.

Things that may surprise people - land sharks (dogs) are only about 50% effective for tracking. The GSDs are meant more for biting than sniffing.

The helicopter is a great tool, but even the best thermal imaging camera will struggle to see through the canopy of a wooded area in leaf.

And finally, many pursuits are called off, or not authorised by the control room, due to certain risk factors.