Tv on laptops

Anyone on here watch tv on thier laptops if so is picture quality any good, and what do i need to get tv on my laptop. Any good points or bad. Thanks

If you have internet connection then you can watch things on BBC iplayer or other websites.I think it takes an hour to get on there but its free. :wink:

I have software on mine that gives you loads of Sky channels free :sunglasses:

It’s highly illegal but ■■■■ it :laughing:

Not enough bandwidth for that on a mobile connection usually, removalboy.

You need a TV Card to convert, but having not tried it, I couldn’t tell you how, and will await the reply with interest.

You need an aerial you can plug into your PC and the plugin device which receives the digital signal. You should then receive most freeview channels.

there rubbish …think one of truck mags had review on them …they said the same

need a very strong signal to receive half decent picture
and until the turn off not worth the effort
just get small DVB telly and a proper aerial

I have this on my laptop and it works very well all over the UK and Ireland. No digital TV in Ireland tho. The Digital Freeview and Analogue picutres are crystal clear BUT you need an external aerial, the Omni-directional (Flying Saucer) Caravan/Motorhome type. The tiny aerial supplied is just not up to the job.

It takes about a minute to tune in and can say it’s great to watch, the full screen quality is fantastic. You can record programmes too, it will save them to your laptop as a Windows Media file. Playback is no hassle.

maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=97049

I use one of these:-

cgi.ebay.co.uk/HDTV-USB-FREEVIEW … %26ps%3D54

I use the antenna supplied in the kit. It works fine if the signal is strong.

Breaker One-Nine:
I have this on my laptop and it works very well all over the UK and Ireland. No digital TV in Ireland tho. The Digital Freeview and Analogue picutres are crystal clear BUT you need an external aerial, the Omni-directional (Flying Saucer) Caravan/Motorhome type. The tiny aerial supplied is just not up to the job.

It takes about a minute to tune in and can say it’s great to watch, the full screen quality is fantastic. You can record programmes too, it will save them to your laptop as a Windows Media file. Playback is no hassle.

maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=97049

i agree with above…if you not in a hurry … i had one but i got fed up of re tuning it all the time and it seemed to take forever so i got a tv ( will need a digital one soon though as anologe will be no more

I use WinTV…comes with a little magnetic aerial which is ok if you stick it on the roof or your cab if your in a good area but its definately worth investing in a caravan/motorhome one (as mentioned in a previous post)…i got one of them Status ones on a pole up the backof my cab and it works pretty well…you have to remember to tune it in though everytime you watch it unless your in the same location everynight :wink: :wink:

i wouldn’t recommend the cheap ones off ebay as one of my colleagues bought one and it was ■■■■■ :wink:

If you power your laptop using an inverter from the ■■■ socket then expect to get RF interfearence from it seriously cutting down on the channels you can pick up.

DVB-T stick, chuck the twig away and plug it into a decent antenna. costs about 20 quid

In uk there are 2 online sites that allow you to watch TV. The quality is quite reasonable, they are:-

Zattoo and

TV catchup
:wink:

If you have a half decent broadband connection at home you can download programmes off the i player to watch during the week on our laptop. I find it works great.

i use a usb plug in thingy it works well but needs a good aerial

I’d go with the DVB-T USB stick and buy a decent aerial for it.

As long as you are in a freeview area its fine.

The Highway Man:
In uk there are 2 online sites that allow you to watch TV. The quality is quite reasonable, they are:-

Zattoo and

TV catchup
:wink:

Thanks Highway Man just downloaded tvcatchup very good site :smiley:

Thanks for all the advice logged onto both sites Highway man should save me a few quid on a tv and a few others by the looks at it :smiley:

a demonstration and review in this months truck and driver magazine gave it a 0 out of 5. i wont be trying it. :confused: