tv aerials

well i’ve just tested me laptop as a tv at home using house aerial (digital),all perfect,my query is,should i buy a proper house aerial and fit to me magnum,or go for one of these modern dish/dome type things??

Carefull you don’t start wasting your money. Is it digital or analogue?

I got an aerial out of tesco for 25 quid that’s supposed to have upto 45 db gain and I sometimes struggle to get any channels at all.

What I find is if the laptop is plugged in and switched on in the truck then you will need a super strong signal to get anything. On the other hand, if the charger is off then it will pick up more channels with better reception. The same with the position of the usb dongle, I have to move it about to try and get a picture. Must be to do with electrical interference.

I think a house aerial will be useless for digi tv in the truck because you will need to know what way to point it to get the signal. Remember different regions have different transmitters with different frequencies so you need to scan every time you use it and you would need to know exactly where to point it. You are better off getting an omni-directional one like those dome thingeys or the kind with thouse thin pole type things on it.

When looking for an aerial make sure it’s omni directional and look for the gain on it. some say 25 db gain and others like mine are up to 45 db. Higher the better.

i’ve got a “dazzle tv dongle” so no need for internet,i just got rid of one of them omni-directional jobbys,as the leads were too short to get into cab,plus it needed a 24v supply,i just need a good digi aerial that don’t need any power source,if anything exists…thanks.

i got one for my feeview its a mag mount little rubber jobbies no wiring just plonk on the roof do a scan and fannies your uncles sister look on fleabay got the whole setup aerial,freeview stereo with flip out 7" screen all for £135 mind i only run a puddle jumper but found it works in france and germany :wink:

bardwells.co.uk they do a great one for digital and normal for 20 quid! comes with its own booster that runs off 12v and mains. look on marine and caravan on there site.

I have this one

sparky-uk.com/one-for-all-am … 0-87-p.asp

45db gain

ive got a combi usb dongle to receive digi and analogue on my laptop,and i only use a magic wand which i just stick out on the roof and use a 12v supply,but they can also use 2 AA batteries…i get watchable analogue 90% of the time and digi can be a bit temperamental…especially if parked nr a fridge!!

andy bilton:
i’ve got a “dazzle tv dongle” .

Me too.Find it works quite well with it’s own little aerial most of the time.Only problem is the cable is a bit on the short side.With the lappy on XF pull-out table,it just reaches and no more.
If that aerial doesn’t work,then I have an omni-directional one I can use.

I use a magic wand if i cant get a picture i pull out the wand bit and plug in a magic circle