TV aerials and satellite dishes

Hi everyone,

Ive seen a couple of trucks out there with satellite dishes mounted to the mirrors etc.

I was wondering how this was done and if anybody had any particularly good ways of mounting their dishes?

I currently have a camping kit however i would like a more robust mounting option.

Photos would be very helpful!

…

Yes i saw the previous thread however it made no mention of mounting to mirrors?

I_Dont_Give_A_Truck:
Hi everyone,

Ive seen a couple of trucks out there with satellite dishes mounted to the mirrors etc.

I was wondering how this was done and if anybody had any particularly good ways of mounting their dishes?

I currently have a camping kit however i would like a more robust mounting option.

That’s nothing, I saw a skip wagon with 500ml bottle of milk hanging from driver’s mirror today driving through Salford :laughing:

Drinks holders for mirrors have been available for quite a while, no good for warmer climes though, an open can will just fill with grit and flies.
Re the sat dish holders, depends where in europe you are, if wanting to receive freesat BBC/ITV ect the signal is ‘aimed’ at the UK and Southern europe (spain for instance) you need a bigger dish so roof mounting only…

SuperMultiBlue:

I_Dont_Give_A_Truck:
Hi everyone,

That’s nothing, I saw a skip wagon with 500ml bottle of milk hanging from driver’s mirror today driving through Salford :laughing:

Thought that was the norm for the skip drivers up that part.

tommymanc:

SuperMultiBlue:

I_Dont_Give_A_Truck:
Hi everyone,

Thought that was the norm for the skip drivers up that part.

:laughing:

Ok so does the OP want an Ariel or a Satellite dish?
Do they want to watch freeview TV and/or sky TV?
Do they want to watch Uk TV or channels based in countries outside the UK? i.e: Polish or Hungarian as they might be an EE born driver
Will they be watching TV solely while overnighting in the UK or will they be tramping outside the UK? ie: they want to watch UK TV while in France.
Will the kit be kept permanently in the same truck, or does it need to be more portable so it can be moved between trucks?

If the OP can be a little more specific about what requirements they need then the masses maybe able to help

Edit: we’ve already done cheap satellite/ sky TV and how to get the setup to work in a truck on another thread, so let’s stick to what the OP asks

peirre:
Do they want to watch Uk TV or channels based in countries outside the UK? i.e: Polish or Hungarian as they might be an EE born driver
Will they be watching TV solely while overnighting in the UK or will they be tramping outside the UK? ie: they want to watch UK TV while in France.
Will the kit be kept permanently in the same truck, or does it need to be more portable so it can be moved between trucks?

If the OP can be a little more specific about what requirements they need then the masses maybe able to help

^
This

Different dishes for different areas / channels being watched, they wont all work the same way if at all…

A little bit more information:

I have a Sky Box
I will be overnighting in the UK only.
I would like UK tv.
It needs to be semi permanent. (I won’t be changing trucks however I am not allowed to drill holes etc.

I hope this helps.
Any suggestions would be good.
The cheaper the option the better. I already have the dish and clamps etc. however I don’t know the best place to clamp the dish.
And I dont know the best method of clamping the dish.

Thank You :slight_smile:

P.S. Everyone needs to keep their milk cold.

much better off using a tablet/laptop with an internet connection and finding one of the many free sites for streaming tv and films

I_Dont_Give_A_Truck:
I have a Sky Box
I would like UK tv.
It needs to be semi permanent. (I won’t be changing trucks however I am not allowed to drill holes etc.

With the semi permanent situation fixing a sky box might create issues, however as with the openbox setup on the other thread the skybox will no doubt be dependent on a data signal to verify the card. So you maybe limited to freeview TV via a terrestrial Ariel such as an omimax.

I_Dont_Give_A_Truck:
I already have the dish and clamps etc. however I don’t know the best place to clamp the dish.

You may be able to rig a bracket onto the metalwork of the deflector or mount an omnimax onto the roof (take a look around and you’ll see many examples). However if you want to persist with a stock sky dish you could mount a swaged camping pole onto the metalwork with U clamps then slip another pole with the dish onto that when you want to use it, but you would have to tune (point) the dish towards the satellite every time you want to use it, there are apps and meters that’ll help with that. Depending on your truck you could stow the dish under the deflector on the roof

What i bought was a glass mover from B&Q…its like a grab handle with 2 suction cups, 1 on each end. I adapted the handle part to take the pole for the dish, then all i had to do was stick the whole lot on the vehicle panel or windscreen, slide the dish onto the pole…i must say that it does take a while to hook it all up, so it would be much easier if your not weekended abroad. to just buy a good reputable normal aerial, that sticks to the windscreen. i bought a good one from lymm t/s but it was over £50 but was fantastic for uk tv… hope that helps.

I have one of these for freeview really good and usually just lay it inside the cab.
maplin.co.uk/p/moonraker-dtv … rial-a12kf

truckyboy:
What i bought was a glass mover from B&Q…its like a grab handle with 2 suction cups, 1 on each end. I adapted the handle part to take the pole for the dish, then all i had to do was stick the whole lot on the vehicle panel or windscreen, slide the dish onto the pole…i must say that it does take a while to hook it all up, so it would be much easier if your not weekended abroad. to just buy a good reputable normal aerial, that sticks to the windscreen. i bought a good one from lymm t/s but it was over £50 but was fantastic for uk tv… hope that helps.

That’s a great idea! how did you adapt the handle? Did you just clamp straight to it?

Thank you :slight_smile:

peirre:

I_Dont_Give_A_Truck:
I have a Sky Box
I would like UK tv.

With the semi permanent situation fixing a sky box might create issues, however as with the openbox setup on the other thread the skybox will no doubt be dependent on a data signal to verify the card. So you maybe limited to freeview TV via a terrestrial Ariel such as an omimax.

I_Dont_Give_A_Truck:
I already have the dish and clamps etc. however I don’t know the best place to clamp the dish.

You may be able to rig a bracket onto the metalwork of the deflector or mount an omnimax onto the roof (take a look around and you’ll see many examples). However if you want to persist with a stock sky dish you could mount a swaged camping pole onto the metalwork with U clamps then slip another pole with the dish onto that when you want to use it, but you would have to tune (point) the dish towards the satellite every time you want to use it, there are apps and meters that’ll help with that. Depending on your truck you could stow the dish under the deflector on the roof

Thank you!
This will definitely help, I know someone who uses the omnimax and he says its the dogs gonads! I may consider that option.
Thanks for all the help!

I just my iPad, with Sky Go, and ToView for terrestrial TV. £20/month, for 15gb data which is ample.

AndrewG:

peirre:

^
This

Different dishes for different areas / channels being watched, they wont all work the same way if at all…

Since they moved the satellite over Europe it was not possible to receive signal from Astra the sat in Spain and South of France(we used to have a 1.5 metre dish in Spain) there is now a new satellite up there called Intelsat and we now have a 12" dish and receive 150+ channels .

I–dont-give-a-truck…YES i used U type clamps to fix the bracket to the handle…with an upright pole ( all came as part of my kit ) so all,i did was ( a spray bottle of water is ideal ) spray the suction cups, whack it on the windscreen or met panel of the truck…then just slide the dish over the pole. I bought and carried an 80 cm dish which is what you need for sky when abroad, ( the bigger the dish, the better chance of getting the sattelite ) must admit i dont use them anymore so are stuck in the garage. along with 2/3 sky boxes with cards.
By the way a sky box, without sky, will still enable you to pick up Freeview for free…so its a good un.