Tut tut tut....

I’d like to run random Swiss people over most depressing place in western Europe no wonder they have euthanasia clinics. Was planning on booking in after one night.

wire:

You don’t always have to go as far as North America to find a bit of clear road and some mountains though but they might get a bit upset about the running at 86 mph with an artic.

But a car isn’t as noticeable.

maps.google.com/?ieUTF8&ll46.240 … 8,0,10.81

I bet you don’t have to avoid hitting beasts like these in Switzerland though, Carryfast. Lol.
Pictures taken on US 191, Montana a couple of years ago.

That looks a bit like Woburn safari park.So the euro type speeds with the car would have to be brought down a bit. :laughing:

I’ve driven in most of the US and most of the wild mountainous areas in the west and the rockies have some sort of wildlife issues of one form or another and even Florida has alligators sunbathing in the middle of the road which can do some serious damage to a car if you run over one at around 80 mph :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing: .

It’s more proof of the intelligence of certain animals (and sometimes people) and Murphy’s law in that no matter how safe they try to make the roads and in all those thousands of square miles of wilderness there’s always going to be some idiot who’s in the middle of the road when they shouldn’t be.But those type of beasts are well known for being the dumbest of them all which is why they were almost wiped out by the colonials because when they heard someone shooting at them they just stood their ground even when all the others around them were falling down. :open_mouth: :laughing:

But I think the largest thing that you’d be likely to hit in Swiss is one of these but you’d need to be driving near the tops of the mountains to see one but the gun mad nutters there have probably shot just about everything else that’s bigger than that except maybe the Chamois which are probably fast enough and bright enough to keep away from traffic or dodge the trigger happy lot with the rifles. :laughing: :laughing:

upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c … -edit1.jpg

But that’s probably another good reason why they like conventionals not cab overs over there so you’ve got a decent bonnet and engine out front to hit them with. :smiling_imp: :laughing:

kr79:
I’d like to run random Swiss people over most depressing place in western Europe no wonder they have euthanasia clinics. Was planning on booking in after one night.

Swiss is great place to drive through long as in a car lol so expensive for anything and hate lorries unless ofcourse the police catch you off route lol had one try to fine me because I was 200 yards off route parked up at a resturant, had to get taco print out and prove I was out of time and the CMR to prove I had just dropped down the road

kr79:

:open_mouth:

Blimey what’s not to like.Decent scenery open spaces etc and the Mediterranian coast just down the road. :confused: :sunglasses:

The morst horrible people I’ve ever encountered worse than the French. I prefered the italians slightly mad and a nice place.

Carryfast:

kr79:

Blimey what’s not to like.Decent scenery open spaces etc and the Mediterranian coast just down the road. :confused: :sunglasses:

not driven a wagon and trailer through there then CF

You may live to regret that post

I expect so lol would be nice to see a simple yes or no rather then a 2 page explanation lol

kr79:
The morst horrible people I’ve ever encountered worse than the French. I prefered the italians slightly mad and a nice place.

It’s just a confederation made up of ethnic Germans,French and Italians.The only difference is that the ethnic French and Italians who live there are often a bit richer than those across the border and they both often (rightly or wrongly) think that it’s the German Swiss who are stuck up,miserable,arrogant zb’s just like most Germans everywhere else :smiling_imp: :laughing: .

But as for Italy being a nice place,just like here, definitely not as much everywhere,unlike as much of Ticino. :wink: :smiley:

taffytrucker:

Carryfast:

kr79:

not driven a wagon and trailer through there then CF

Put it this way ‘if’ my ex guvnor had said you’re taking a wagon and drag down to Italy via Swiss in mid summer,instead of another night trunk to Leeds,I wouldn’t have told him to zb off I’m not doing it.:open_mouth: :smiling_imp: :laughing:

I’ve been through Swiss loads of times, never had a problem in the place, the scenery is stunning, especialy the Italian bit. Did a few deliveries/collections in the deepest darkest corners of the place, never got any grief from the old bill at all.

I’ve run through well overweight too, after the Customs finished in 92, you still needed T-Forms for Swiss, so it was into an agent, 12 quid for a T-Form and you could save a fortune, if you were a bit heavy, just get two T-Forms to keep them under weight and only show them one :sunglasses:

newmercman:
I’ve been through Swiss loads of times, never had a problem in the place, the scenery is stunning, especialy the Italian bit. Did a few deliveries/collections in the deepest darkest corners of the place, never got any grief from the old bill at all.

I’ve run through well overweight too, after the Customs finished in 92, you still needed T-Forms for Swiss, so it was into an agent, 12 quid for a T-Form and you could save a fortune, if you were a bit heavy, just get two T-Forms to keep them under weight and only show them one :sunglasses:

Blimey that’s as good as going in via Pontarlier with the car and when they say motorway vignette just say I’m only using the a roads and the reply is (so far) ok and a laugh. :smiling_imp: :laughing:

newmercman:

Went there about 18 months ago and still had to go through customs and get everything stamped I was lucky and everything was in order and didnt take to long but they dont do the whole dip the tank etc like they used to with poland

Carryfast:

newmercman:

Blimey that’s as good as going in via Pontarlier with the car and when they say motorway vignette just say I’m only using the a roads and the reply is (so far) ok and a laugh. :smiling_imp: :laughing:

Cant use A roads gotta give them you milage when enter the country and same when you leave and you get a bill if not pay the bill you dont leave lol If youre caught off route from the motorway bigggggg fine hope you got deep pockets

taffytrucker:

Carryfast:

newmercman:

Cant use A roads gotta give them you milage when enter the country and same when you leave and you get a bill if not pay the bill you dont leave lol If youre caught off route from the motorway bigggggg fine hope you got deep pockets

Wheelnut already explained the different issues concerning running trucks through there on a different topic but I was only referring to using the car when if you go in by the A road borders,instead of the motorway ones,the motorway vignette,that’s required for cars,becomes ‘optional’ just by saying that you’ll stay on off the motorways. :bulb: :smiling_imp: :laughing:

However there’s no rule that actually stops foreign trucks running in using the A road border crossings or using Swiss ordinary roads that I know of because I’ve followed enough of them using them over the years but according to wheelnut’s advice that probably won’t help to avoid paying the road charges in the same way as it works with a car though.

I think whoever said you have to run the big roads in Switzerland is getting confused with Luxembourg. There the Police will nick you if you jump off the motorway, the signs are very clear too, so you only have yourself to blame if you do get caught :wink:

I’ve run the little skinny roads in Swiss a ton of times, never had a single encounter with plod. Most of my deliveries there went to Basel or Muttenz and I’ve done collections in all four corners of the country, then gone back to Basel/Muttenz to top off with groupage or get clearance/paperwork.

The last trip I did was in 96ish, back then the tax was SFR12 per day, which I’m sure had not long gone up from SFR6 per day. Now that’s all changed I believe.

All good fun in Swiss! I remember taking in a heavy load and you had to use the border crossing closest to your drop. Took the ferry across Lake Constance from Friederickshafen to Romanshorn. It cost 200 swiss francs. Reloaded paper cups out of Horgen; so that wasn’t a problem.
On that trip, I passed through the town of Arbon where they used to make the Saurer lorries.

newmercman:
I think whoever said you have to run the big roads in Switzerland is getting confused with Luxembourg. There the Police will nick you if you jump off the motorway, the signs are very clear too, so you only have yourself to blame if you do get caught :wink:

I’ve run the little skinny roads in Swiss a ton of times, never had a single encounter with plod. Most of my deliveries there went to Basel or Muttenz and I’ve done collections in all four corners of the country, then gone back to Basel/Muttenz to top off with groupage or get clearance/paperwork.

The last trip I did was in 96ish, back then the tax was SFR12 per day, which I’m sure had not long gone up from SFR6 per day. Now that’s all changed I believe.

^^This^^. I started doing Swiss in 2005 and by then the tax was milleage based. You get a vehicle card (credit card type thing) from the border when you arrive for the first time with that truck with your ORIGINAL V5 documents etc and then use that at a pay point, you insert your milleage and get a ticket printed out, you cant even clear Swiss customs without the ticket and when you drive through the Swiss gates they often check you put the correct milleage by giving you a camera on a long cable. When leaving Swiss again you write your milleage on the print out and hand it in at the Swiss exit gate, and again, they might check it. If you dont hand it in to the correct people on the way out, you wont be allowed to re-enter Switzerland again on your next trip, as officially you never left in the first place on their system and it causes all sorts of problems and delays.

I dont know how much it costs per mile/km but I’ve never had any sort of restriction as to where I could drive. Like you I mostly delivered in the Basel area and then reloading all over Switzerland, sometimes right out in the middle of nowhere and some pretty crappy country lanes. Maybe if you’re transiting Swiss on T-forms there are restrictions but I’ve never heared of it.

Been to Northern Italy via Swiss using the E35.
The highlight for me was at the services near Lucerne.
Got “I-Karzi” in the toilets.
Seat spins round, gets cleaned and then a cellophane sheet gets put on.
Hate to think what could happen to George Michael in there!