Turners - What's it like?

Going for an interview with Turners next week…

Good to work for, Pay etc?

It used to be shambolic at Exning, don’t know whether it has improved, I did three days and couldn’t take any more.

Do you speak any European languages other than English? Rough trucks mostly (at Exning) and a strange vibe caused (I think) by there being a spilt driving workforce - British & others, and a management who generally have a low opinion of they’re driving workforce!

But hey, that’s a view from someone who only tips there regularly.

Does anybody know how much they actually pay, I heard the rates were shocking many years ago, just like boardall…!?

EastAnglianTrucker:
Do you speak any European languages other than English? Rough trucks mostly (at Exning) and a strange vibe caused (I think) by there being a spilt driving workforce - British & others, and a management who generally have a low opinion of they’re driving workforce!

But hey, that’s a view from someone who only tips there regularly.

If some of them are dairy drivers, there’s no point in crying over spilt drivers let alone milk!
:laughing: :laughing:

There’s a few RDC’s that use three languages other than English already. Shame they got an English student of those languages, rather than one of the actual nationals to do the notices for them!

Не забывайте мыть обе руки с мочой.
Używać obu rąk o kreskę ułamkową.
BÅ«ti skalbimo abi rankas po showers.

Pimpdaddy:
Does anybody know how much they actually pay, I heard the rates were shocking many years ago, just like boardall…!?

I don’t know the current rates but I know I worked for them in the May and got paid in the August after having to “prove” that I had worked there.

I depends on your location and the contract.

I was on OOCL contract in Manchester, and we were on a different rate to the OOCL lads in Tamworth.

I don’t know whether it was Turners or OOCL, but they like to sack people last minute on a Friday night after you’ve took your tacho out, and it was just a phone call - “empty your truck, you’re fired”…

Now, that is 1 manager on 1 contract of Turners, they’re a massive firm with lots of contracts, and after an email to head office I recieved a weeks pay in leiu of notice and an apology for the mistake in the handling.

BUT, then a few months later, another lad on same contract at same depot got EXACTLY the same treatment, I’ve no idea on where he’s upto though because he was taking matters further so I kept out.

Our wages were £370 / week for 55 hrs based on 11hr days, this was 11hrs guarenteed and anything under you got 11hrs pay, anything over you got overtime at … £9.87 or something like that.
We also got £50 per week tax free meal allowance.

Our vehicles were 10 plate DAF CF 460’s with auto box, they were ok to be honest, no complaints on that, and the skelly’s were pretty decent too.

Again, I’ll point out, that’s only 1 contract and 1 depot, so take that with a pinch of salt regarding what you’re going for unless it is that exact job.

Worst maintained units I drove in 30 years, well over 900.000 on clock, did one night made my excuses and never went back, 2 years ago.

i did a day for them out of castleford on the agency and it was a doddle, i went as a freelance driver and they were sniggering at me so i left before i waded through everyone one of them. :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp:

i suppose which depot but i would think twice.

Thanks for replies… I’ll just have to go and see for myself what it’s like I guess

jessicas dad:
i did a day for them out of castleford on the agency and it was a doddle, i went as a freelance driver and they were sniggering at me so i left before i waded through everyone one of them. :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp:

i suppose which depot but i would think twice.

who was sniggering?

I went asking if they used casual freelance drivers and he came out with some smart arse comment that he found funny. The transport manager at castleford depot. He stopped laughing when I asked what he thought was so amusing :imp:

Well, I’ve got the job, going to give it a shot. Think I should be able to clear £500 a week without too much trouble. It’s on spot hire food tanks. The pay is very complex and a degree of it is based on productivity. I’ve never been one for wasting time in laybys so that should work just fine :smiley:

Thanks for the replies everyone

My mate is on the yara fertilizer contract. He’s on that pay scheme. He’s pretty sound with his operator and grafts hard Monday to Thursday, so he’s normally at his Friday job Thursday night, tip at 0700 then back to chedburgh to load for the Monday, off home by lunchtime. He takes about £600 but that fertilizer is a ■■■■ job :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

Apologies for bringing this thread up from the dead but I have noticed Turners are advertising for the Cargill depot in Bootle.

I’m tempted to try and see if they would take me on. But first of all I’m just wanting to know if any one has worked for them recently and has it changed?

Thanks

i worked on the sugar contract before turners took over my mate still works for them on old rates new rates 80 pounds a day plus night out money tramping

nick172sport:
i worked on the sugar contract before turners took over my mate still works for them on old rates new rates 80 pounds a day plus night out money tramping

£80 a day tramping :open_mouth: :open_mouth: is that upto 15 hours or is there an overtime rate??

nick172sport:

Is that 80 before or after tax?

Also thanks for answering.

I had an interview for Cargills depot bout 4 yrs ago, think if my memory serves me correctly was 25000 grand based on 12hr days work over that u get extra occasional nites out extra again. He did say u dont often do the 12hts but u get paid it anyway, how that works out in practice I do not know didnt hear a peep outta em after the interview.

andy12:
I had an interview for Cargills depot bout 4 yrs ago, think if my memory serves me correctly was 25000 grand based on 12hr days work over that u get extra occasional nites out extra again. He did say u dont often do the 12hts but u get paid it anyway, how that works out in practice I do not know didnt hear a peep outta em after the interview.

25k isn’t to bad. Its a bit more than what I’m on now.

Thank for the info