Turners training

I keep blowing hot and cold on becoming an hgv driver as i see a lot on forums about hours t&c’s etc and also importantly the expense and no job guarantees.

I have found Turners of soham offer training with them for catc then c+e and a job after obv just payback fees if you leave. Anyone have any thoughts on this a route into the job?

Thanks in advance

Probably one of the better ways to get into driving, beats putting up 3k then trying to keep your head above water via agency, especially this time of year.

Turner’s is a reputable firm as well, you’ll always have people saying companies are crap but you never know till you give it a go yourself.

On the face of it, great. Just check the rate of pay once you’ve passed. There’s stories around about folks being stopped an inordinate amount of money by way of poor pay.

I AM NOT accusing Turners, who are reputable operators. But it’s worth asking straightforward questions.

All the best with it, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

If you pass with Turners and don’t like the job, can you afford to walk away? If you can, you might as well pay for your licence yourself and be a free man.

Peter Smythe:
On the face of it, great. Just check the rate of pay once you’ve passed. There’s stories around about folks being stopped an inordinate amount of money by way of poor pay.

I AM NOT accusing Turners, who are reputable operators. But it’s worth asking straightforward questions.

All the best with it, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Turners pay peanuts if you own your own licence

I was tempted to do this with a different firm. So glad i didnt. Had the training offer but decided to do it myself then start with them to avoid the 2 years tie in. Hated the job and was able to walk away a few weeks in. Would never have lasted 2 years there. My advice, do it yourself. They know when they got you by the short n curlies.

I enquired with Turners about this a few months back for their depot in Lincolnshire. I’ve detailed below the key points from their email to me.

For your probation period they employ you as a van driver/yard shunter then after 3 to 6 month probation they put you forward for your cat C (Class 2). Before you do this you have to pay a £400 contribution towards your training, then the rest is taken over 39 weeks from your wages with zero intrest.

For your cat C+E (class 1) they use the apprenticeship grant to pay for it so no repayment required from you.

Before they offer you employment as a van driver/shunter you have to have passed your theory and hazard perception.

Another option is Fowler Welch apprenticeship scheme, from the conversation I had with them yesterday they take you through all your tests within 6 months but until you have your C+E its £220 a week for wages.

Hope this helps you out

Minic

Minic:
I enquired with Turners about this a few months back for their depot in Lincolnshire. I’ve detailed below the key points from their email to me.

For your probation period they employ you as a van driver/yard shunter then after 3 to 6 month probation they put you forward for your cat C (Class 2). Before you do this you have to pay a £400 contribution towards your training, then the rest is taken over 39 weeks from your wages with zero intrest.

For your cat C+E (class 1) they use the apprenticeship grant to pay for it so no repayment required from you.

Before they offer you employment as a van driver/shunter you have to have passed your theory and hazard perception.

Another option is Fowler Welch apprenticeship scheme, from the conversation I had with them yesterday they take you through all your tests within 6 months but until you have your C+E its £220 a week for wages.

Hope this helps you out

Minic

Interesting. I did email Turners soham but they havn’t come back to me. Got prov CatC and about to book theory etc. Not sure the low pay would work for me all be it short term. Now thinking be hard up for a month or 2 and pay myself then no one holding a gun to my head, although i notice some people offer help with cpc. Then I will get out there knocking on doors.

NobbyC:

Minic:

Hope this helps you out

Minic

Interesting. I did email Turners soham but they havn’t come back to me. Got prov CatC and about to book theory etc. Not sure the low pay would work for me all be it short term. Now thinking be hard up for a month or 2 and pay myself then no one holding a gun to my head, although i notice some people offer help with cpc. Then I will get out there knocking on doors.

If you work for Turners you will be on low pay for a lot longer than short term. Better to go 2months low and pay yourself

Minic:

Hope this helps you out

Minic

What I found was that would all take so long to get through. Better to use a credit union or some other method. I tried saving for Class 1 for 4 years but never got the cash together (Class 2 jobs are only minimum wage in Lincs… mind you Class 1 is not much more). I cashed a pension at 55 yrs in order to have the funding. Of course with Turners if Polish is your first language that is a great asset… <5% staff are English.