Turners (soham) Ltd

(newly registered to trucknetuk, break me in gently)

Got me class 2 license and initial cpc few months ago, can’t use it because I’m 23, and 99% of haulage companies in Lincolnshire want you to be min 25 for insurance, and also have 1-2 years continuous hgv experience, which is no good for newly passed drivers like myself.

The acception is turners of soham

Not only do they take on newly passed drivers, they also do a drivers development programme, this is something I was keen to get onto, I contacted them, they said it was full, but if I got my class 1 license myself, they’ll sort me out no problem. I took her name and number, got her to confirm to me that they would hold a job open for me, it all sounded promising. Got me class 1 training and test booked, once you have it, you have it right…

I’ve read into old posts on here about turners, and from what I’ve seen no one has a good word to say about them. Pay is crap, conditions are crap, you are spoke to and treated like crap, time pressure, and most of the drivers and office staff are ski’s.

Well I can’t be picky, I need someone to take me on, even if I just use them for the 2 years experience required by other firms, I will end up going with them in the end, gotta start somewhere right?

It’s 2016, can anyone shed light on turners of soham most recent pay and conditions for fridge work out of bicker/Donington/Quadring area please.

Many thanks
Steve

It sounds to me like it doesn’t matter what they’re like, they are your only hope Obi Wan…

Whatever the pay, whatever the conditions, just ■■■■ it up for a couple of years and you’ll a) be 25, and b) have 2 years’ experience. :smiley:

Also, different people have different impressions because their preferences, expectations and personal experiences are all different. Some like to be run to the limit because it maximises pay, others want short shifts and big social lives. Some would prefer to be told where to go, what route to take, and to be checked up on all the way. Others want freedom to choose and just get on with it. Some have big mouths and rub people up the wrong way, so will be treated differently to others who have a different approach.

Why form your opinions based on the personalities and preferences of others? Given that you have no choice, why not just go in with an open mind and form your own opinions? If people tell you it’s crap you’ll have a negative feeling about them from the start, even if you yourself don’t think it’s that bad.

All I know about them is they seem to run a reasonably clean and modern fleet from what I’ve seen. Hopefully you’ll settle in and find the work tolerable. Your time will come when you can pick and choose…

ORC:
Some have big mouths and rub people up the wrong way.

I resent that! :laughing:

But ORC’s right…
My only possible disagreement is that it’s your only choice!
I’ve a mate that’s 21 and did class 2 for a year and is now moving up to class 1.
I concede that his class VAN gig wasn’t something I’d have wanted as it was hard graft, but did pay pretty well…

Where abouts in Lincolnshire you from pal? There’s loads of places around immingham that would probably give you a job

You are right, I have no choice, I’m young and have no experience, if there’s a company that will take me on, I have to jump right in, and make my own mind up whilst I’m at it.

I’m in spalding.

Not the best, not the worst, that’s a decent summary.

Pros: Easy work, minimal manual handling, see the country if you’re tramping. Wages and parking fees paid weekly, no questions asked. Tramping, £550 take-home, four nights-out per week.

Cons: Cameras in cabs (on fridges), big “them and us” mentality from the management, and certain individuals treat you like crap (Don’t get me wrong, some are bang-on). To them, you’re just a driver, they can easily get a Polish driver to take your place if you moan about conditions. Yes, the majority of their workforce is Eastern European. You’ll have to work at least one weekend day too.

Overall, bearable to get some experience, then move-on to somewhere with better conditions. The work is clean and easy, but the management and their methods are questionable. I’ve sent you a PM with some more info.

Thanks rottweiler22, sent pm

I worked at quadring depo for my first class one job (about 2 years now tho) and I found them ok to work for, pay wasent the best but I was getting paid and experience which is all I cared about at the time.

The work was mostly sainsburys RDC deliverys when I was there but was quite varied like one day you could take a full load from the yard to A RDC then trays back then the next it might be loading 4-5 trailers locally then the next a couple of collections and a deliverys so you won’t get bored there.

They change who dishes out the work in the office every day so you know what days your going to have a good day and what day your going to be pushed to the limit then get phoned up one your way back if you can do an extra collection which if you agree to will probably mean a night out.

All in all though I quite enjoyed working there if you do your work with no problems they tend to leave you alone and I probably would recommend then to a new driver for experience.

Thanks MGR1610, am Deffo getting the vibes from experienced truckers that they are good for new drivers, to get your driving experience from that’s wanted by other firms, but not so great for sticking with long term. Will go with them to start out with, get me head down and crack on with what’s being asked of me then see how I feel once I’ve got 1-2 years with them under me belt.

Take it you moved on to better things in the end?