Turners of Soham?

Anyone tell me what they are like?,money , trucks, conditons etc etc?.

Just phoned for an application form for bulk powder drivers.

Niel is that why you ask too??.

no it was a firm in crewe for continental work.

Not wanting to generalise here,but I used to work with a lad,who then went to work for them at Castleford.

Next time I see him,I asked how the job was going,and he told me that he came in one morning,and was told to clear his cab,as his employment was terminated.

I don’t know the full in’s and out’s of it,but I thought you ought to know.

Ken.

i meet a few turners drivers in my travels are they all seem fairly happy with their lot.
henrys cat worked for turners so he should be able to give you a better idea.

Honest opinion don’t do it :open_mouth:

Alot of drivers have/are leaving bulk powders due to the pay and trucks. Std sleeper ERF EC, Daf CF, and some scanias. Pay £4-89/hr basic overtime £7-01 atfer 8hrs. Then a bonus scheme on milage and loads, parking paid, £18-50 night out, £2-92 a day meal allowance. On a 65-70 hrs week with 15 loads done and approx 2500kms, and 4 nights out my top line was about £480 average.

Where you are based Jammy you’ll be in Gypsum at Newark, slow loading and you have to get in the tank and sweep out between loads unless the product is the same. The manager can be a moody sod, if you upset him he won’t speak for days, the office lad is not bad but very green if you know what I mean. The promise alot of things but take a long time to deliver.

I left due to the pay and the job, but have returned to the contract I was on with a different firm, and its a lot better. There are better firms and worse, would say they are average.

Hopefully Gatty should be registering this weekend, he still works there, and he says alot of drivers are looking around, and some of them have 8yrs+ with turners

~Cheers Henry i dont think i,ll bother or i might just actually fill the app form in and go for the interview then burst in to fits of hysterics when they mention £4.89 an hour.

Steve has it spot on
The hourly rate is a joke but they promise a productivity bonus and when they manage to deliver you can earn more than an average wage
Almost everyone I know in Bulk Powders is actively lookin for another job but when you have between 10 and 20yrs service in you want to be 110% sure about any job offers.

Gat:
Steve has it spot on
The hourly rate is a joke but they promise a productivity bonus and when they manage to deliver you can earn more than an average wage
Almost everyone I know in Bulk Powders is actively lookin for another job but when you have between 10 and 20yrs service in you want to be 110% sure about any job offers.

WELCOME TO THE SITE :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

I got the literature and the job info in the post this morning its all productivity bonus etc etc and ■■■■ and more ■■■■, i was actually under the impression they were a decent outfit seeing so many of their wagons about but yet again its not so much of a driver shortage its just more ■■■■ jobs about.

40 hours @ £4.89 an hour (£195.60)
Over 8hours per day £7.01 an hour
Sun and bank hols £9.53 an hour
Productivity £2.75 an hour
Meal allowance £2.92 per 5 hours away from base on each actual working day
Night out £18.50

Holiday pay £55 per day £275 a week ( bit of a con in my books)

Heres how the productivity works

47 kms 1 hour productivity
Load tank 1 hours productivity
Tip tank 2.5 hours productivity
Additional second tip tank 1hours productivity

It then goes on and explains basically if you do a 11.25 hour day you get £87.34 a day.

It sounds too hard to work it all out so i think i,ll just stay where i am on £75 for a 9 hour shift its far easier working for someone who pays a decent wage by the hour.

Thanks for the input guys but i reckon ill stay where i am.

If you can put with the turdy pay. You get experience and training on bulk tanks if that’s where you want to go with your career.

Have done that myself stuck it, until I could make a move to a better paying job. I’m not saying it works everytime just a thought.

they have a lot of powder tankers based at corby and are very often advertising in the local rag, they are even mevtioning running to france to tempt them in!

paul