Turners of Soham Newmarket

Hi

Would anyone be willing to provide the usual info about Turners of Soham and their depot in Newmarket (fridges work), what are the pay conditions and all the usual stuff, like what they are like to work for and what do they mostly do?
Pm me if you prefer to keep it off the main board.

Thanks

Never worked for them but see them a lot when we are on Fowler Welch out of Spalding. Drivers seem nice enough, kit is fairly new. They are just replacing a job lot of vehicles with distribution spec Actroses. I don’t think they have dedicated drivers for each vehicle, so you would probably be cab hopping.

They do a fair bit of loading out of farms which does entail a bit of waiting around. Never discussed money with them so I wouldn’t know on that front. A fair few of the drivers we see are agency which means one of two things. Either they have more work than they can otherwise man or they cant keep a hold of their drivers. I couldn’t comment either way.

Sorry I am not much help but that is all I know.

hkloss1:
Hi

Would anyone be willing to provide the usual info about Turners of Soham and their depot in Newmarket (fridges work), what are the pay conditions and all the usual stuff, like what they are like to work for and what do they mostly do?
Pm me if you prefer to keep it off the main board.

Thanks

you will fit in well expect low rates

Not 100% on money but i beleve its under 7 pound an hour but they have there fingers in many pies steady work imm led to beleve lots of non english working for them alegedly (thats not knocking them either before someone comments )theres a guy on here works on there tanker side i think, cant think of his name thow might be ck of something like that

C Kay?

The fridge work is less than 7PH.
The milk work is better.
They employ mostly skis, so you need to like the smell of fish.
The English blokes are a rarity but pleasant enough, probably because they are simple, I don`t know. :laughing:

bjd:
Not 100% on money but i beleve its under 7 pound an hour but they have there fingers in many pies steady work imm led to beleve lots of non english working for them alegedly (thats not knocking them either before someone comments )theres a guy on here works on there tanker side i think, cant think of his name thow might be ck of something like that

I used to work for them on boxes, but no info I could give would be relevant, each depot and each contract is completely different on terms, conditions and pay structure.

Well, Turners (Browns) at Swineshead (Bicker) are taking on if anyone is interested, they have just put up new signs by the roundabout on the A17 / A52 saying so Class1 and 2 on fridge work, they only have a couple of class 2 lorries, so mainly class 1 work.
They have just gone over to Turners completely, so I expect the rates are poor, could be wrong, but I know a fair few have left, as we have been doing subbie work for them while their units sit in the yard!

New tackle, mostly Mercs, but the place is like a morgue…I don`t get on there, most of the front desk staff are skis and rather rude.(But that is the Eastern European way I am afraid to say)

The pay in general round that area is crap and there’s loads of poles keen to work… Tipped there once and it was quite frankly horrible, although no one was rude to me every one was foreign and felt like I was aboard despite being 20miles from home.

I’m on fridges out of the Bicker depot, money for us is probably the best in the area, we’re on a day rate of £100, £10 bonus and £5 meal allowance work is pretty easy, some drops/collections are tighter than a ducks arse. Can’t comment on Soham’s contract, as has been said already loads of different contracts at different depots.

My longest shift this week was 11.5hrs and shortest was 9.5 although typically you will use all 3, 15hr days on a 5 day week (even if it’s 13 and a half hours) lots of POA waiting for loads, DCPC training is provided although you do it in your time (day off).

Hth

Thanks lads for your replies.

Seems like the one to avoid.
Less than 7 ph is an absolutely shocking rate of pay, no wonder the job offer never disappears from their website.

Thanks a lot

hkloss1:
Thanks lads for your replies.

Seems like the one to avoid.
Less than 7 ph is an absolutely shocking rate of pay, no wonder the job offer never disappears from their website.

Thanks a lot

If your looking for £10+ you won’t get it here mate

turners in lincolnshire, i’m pretty shore is minimum wage for the first 8 hours then 7 odd after, and so are all the big companys around there, freshlinc, gist… they take this ■■■■ becuase they can, you wouldnt beleive how many foreigners there are around the area, literaly every other person is one. i tried for a job at the depo in donington and the TM there just messed me about for a month and when he eventualy rang me for an assessment i had already found a better company! I think all the drivers at browns went on strike becuase they all had to take a massive pay cut once turners took them over.

but like any crap company they are better than nothing! and will probably take on newbie drivers

vtrfire:
turners in lincolnshire, i’m pretty shore is minimum wage for the first 8 hours then 7 odd after, and so are all the big companys around there, freshlinc, gist… they take this ■■■■ becuase they can, you wouldnt beleive how many foreigners there are around the area, literaly every other person is one. i tried for a job at the depo in donington and the TM there just messed me about for a month and when he eventualy rang me for an assessment i had already found a better company! I think all the drivers at browns went on strike becuase they all had to take a massive pay cut once turners took them over.

but like any crap company they are better than nothing! and will probably take on newbie drivers

We never went on strike at all, terms and conditions have stayed the same for employed drivers, I started after Turners had purchased Browns, but before the full merger, I have put my rate on here, Old Browns drivers are on £10 a day more on standard rate, they don’t get paid the meal allowance. They do take on new drivers, the Bicker depot is also going to be the National Driver Training Centre and will be training drivers and putting them through their test in a similar way to Stobarts.

I think they struggle to keep drivers but that is probably more down to the type of work they do, it mainly multi drop work, where you can go to Freshlinc who do a lot of straight loads and IF your can get 15 hours days you would probably earn more than our day rate. Also I could leave tomorrow and get a job at Fowler Welch, Gist, Freshlinc, Garn, As transport, Mason Bros, Benton Bros, CTD, Kyme, Marshalls, QV Foods, Bakkavor and others.

Also the start times are not too good at Browns 1,2,3,4 am where as people I know at freshlinc are on 6am starts and you can be sat around for 2-3hrs waiting to load in the morning, some people just want to crack on.

There are loads of jobs around here but it doesn’t push the rates up.

NewLad:

vtrfire:

We never went on strike at all, terms and conditions have stayed the same for employed drivers, I started after Turners had purchased Browns, but before the full merger, I have put my rate on here, Old Browns drivers are on £10 a day more on standard rate, they don’t get paid the meal allowance. They do take on new drivers, the Bicker depot is also going to be the National Driver Training Centre and will be training drivers and putting them through their test in a similar way to Stobarts.

I think they struggle to keep drivers but that is probably more down to the type of work they do, it mainly multi drop work, where you can go to Freshlinc who do a lot of straight loads and IF your can get 15 hours days you would probably earn more than our day rate. Also I could leave tomorrow and get a job at Fowler Welch, Gist, Freshlinc, Garn, As transport, Mason Bros, Benton Bros, CTD, Kyme, Marshalls, QV Foods, Bakkavor and others.

Also the start times are not too good at Browns 1,2,3,4 am where as people I know at freshlinc are on 6am starts and you can be sat around for 2-3hrs waiting to load in the morning, some people just want to crack on.

Doubt you would get on for Masons immediately, they are quiet at the mo Better to work for than most around here and the pay is good if you are a casual driver....I did 3 weekends at Browns, pay was good, but they want their pound of flesh.....I couldnt put up with the rudeness of the office staff though and general feeling of…I don`t know what to call it…Just crappy feeling about the place, very negative.

There are some good payers around here, but you have to find them, they very seldom have any Eastern Europeans working for them, so that is a good clue :wink:

NewLad:
DCPC training is provided although you do it in your time (day off).

Hth

Isn’t that illegal? You have to record 8 Hours for DCPC training with a manual entry.

Of course you record it on a manual entry but I wouldn’t record 8hrs personally I’d recommend putting down 7 :laughing:

att:

NewLad:

vtrfire:

Doubt you would get on for Masons immediately, they are quiet at the mo Better to work for than most around here and the pay is good if you are a casual driver....I did 3 weekends at Browns, pay was good, but they want their pound of flesh.....I couldnt put up with the rudeness of the office staff though and general feeling of…I don`t know what to call it…Just crappy feeling about the place, very negative.

There are some good payers around here, but you have to find them, they very seldom have any Eastern Europeans working for them, so that is a good clue :wink:

Ok well maybe you wouldnt get on with Masons straight away but only because there not doing a lot of bulk potatoes or onions at the moment, however they do take on new drivers. Also there one of the better payers, also I forgot about LEFT at Long Sutton, they pay decent too.

I used to drive for them on odd shifts back in the day, on agency, and found them fairly good. They’re tollerant, don’t push you. The work is mostly Tesco, so a good book is a good idea to deal with the long tipping times at the rdc’s. I can’t quote the money accurately, but my understanding is that it’s not brilliant.

nsmith1180:

NewLad:
DCPC training is provided although you do it in your time (day off).

Hth

Isn’t that illegal? You have to record 8 Hours for DCPC training with a manual entry.

Yep yr right but if you look at it from the angle that you’re getting the CPC for free?