Turkey shortage

We have turkey every year, ours is already ordered from a local farm, we also eat turkey meat year round, for some reason my gut doesn’t like chicken!!! We’ll also have a joint of beef and gammon for boxing day and new year!!

robroy:
I know this is starting to sound like ‘Mumsnet’ :blush: :smiley: …but does anybody else have bread sauce with their turkey or chicken Christmas dinner?
I could eat that stuff on it’s own, …not the crap you buy in packets but real homemade stuff that my Mrs makes.
She also makes her own cranberry sauce, much better than the jarred stuff,.and not forgetting apple sauce…again home made from scratch.

Me too. I could eat a bowl of bread sauce. Even the packet stuff

Just Read This About Bread sauce:

We are unfairly renowned for having a terrible food culture (which, obviously, if you’ve ever read this website before, you’ll know is wrong) but sometimes, when I’m eating a potato waffle, heating up some rice pudding, or spreading pungent Marmite on my toast, I am comforted by the variety of strangely ■■■■ foods we do still consume.

Bread sauce taps into this. It’s not super flavoursome nor complex, which fits in with a tradition of stodgy—yet tasty—British foods.

Which makes sense, seeing as bread sauce is really, really old. Bread sauce did, in fact, originate in medieval England, and is allegedly one of the few leftover “bread-thickened” sauces we still consume today.

Instead of using animal fat or eggs to thicken sauces as we might in contemporary recipes, the people of medieval England would use leftover stale breadcrumbs as they were cheaper and more accessible. Consequently, one can estimate that we’ve have been eating our bread sauce alongside veg and meat for at least 1,700 years.

Despite its fundamental strangeness, bread sauce has existed for over a thousand years on our Christmas dinner table because it is delicious.

Unlike almost every other thing that has existed for that long (racism, Jacob Rees-Mogg, climate change), it’s not something that we need to phase out for the good of the people. Bread sauce: pure, holy, special, gentle, and kind.

dozy:
Not really funny for some people a food shortage , my wife has coeliac disease , so she needs gluten free food , we’ve never had a issue with supply previously though there was a limited choice , now it’s getting difficult , having to travel farther , managed to finally get the food she required from Tesco at Melton Mowbray today
I queried this with a store manager who said it was supply chain issues caused by a shortage of hgv drivers .

Why don’t you order the speciality food for the missus online ?

Carryfast:

dozy:
I queried this with a store manager who said it was supply chain issues caused by a shortage of hgv drivers .

Obviously no ‘shortage of hgv drivers’ moving meat products for export.The producers actually want to ship out even more of our food supplies.

statista.com/statistics/3163 … ingdom-uk/

ok, I’ll go with the figures of UK exporting poultry,
but it would be nice if they posted the import figures too
France ships to the UK, loads of chickens (whole and joints), duck pieces, quail, quail eggs, rabbit (whole and joints)
we have at least 2 wagons ( just STEF) , leaving France at least twice a day,
delivering to Smithfield market in London

thepigsite.com/news/2021/05/ … an-markets

I may have read this wrong but … PORK to asian and arab countries,
I thought they weren’t allowed , because of religious beliefs, to eat PORK

Turkey and beef are my favourite meat.Don’t like lamb which is mostly mutton anyway.
I’ve also found that most of what’s being sold is all obviously previously frozen.Probably as part of the logistics operation for the food supply sell out to our new masters in ‘developing countries’ to go with the fuel.
I probably won’t bother I’m not paying fresh food price for a frozen turkey even if they’ve got one that hasn’t been exported.

Wife and I prefer venison, either a loin or diced haunch casserole. Lean tasty meat, just have to find a butcher with a game licence.

Tyneside

tyneside:
Wife and I prefer venison, either a loin or diced haunch casserole. Lean tasty meat, just have to find a butcher with a game licence.

Tyneside

I was offered 8 legs of venison yesterday for £100 but i thought it was too dear.

pierrot 14:
ok, I’ll go with the figures of UK exporting poultry,
but it would be nice if they posted the import figures too
France ships to the UK, loads of chickens (whole and joints), duck pieces, quail, quail eggs, rabbit (whole and joints)
we have at least 2 wagons ( just STEF) , leaving France at least twice a day,
delivering to Smithfield market in London

thepigsite.com/news/2021/05/ … an-markets

I may have read this wrong but … PORK to asian and arab countries,
I thought they weren’t allowed , because of religious beliefs, to eat PORK

South East Asia, including Chyna, generally isn’t part of the Islamic world.
Also eating pork is probably more acceptable than eating beef in India.