Tufnell - are they good to work for?

After months of working 20 hrs on a van I finally have a permanent job offer full-time at Tufnell besides being a single mum. It’ll be tough but at least I’m back driving trucks and making decent money.
Does any of you know what they’re like as employer, is it crap like most others or do they have a decent well maintained fleet? Do they look after you a bit?

Class 2 or 7.5t work? If its the later then expect lots of drops, same sort of work as TNT. Expect to spending more time out of the wagon than driving it but on the flipside, its local and nights out, no idea on pay or what condition the wagons will be like. The ones I see up my way are a mix of new units or shagged out bangers.

Multi drop parcels no more can be said , you might as well work for Currys (know how )

Radar19:
Class 2 or 7.5t work? If its the later then expect lots of drops, same sort of work as TNT. Expect to spending more time out of the wagon than driving it but on the flipside, its local and nights out, no idea on pay or what condition the wagons will be like. The ones I see up my way are a mix of new units or shagged out bangers.

7.5 tonnes to start with, I’m hoping they’ll let me move up the bigger trucks when a space is open. Money is not bad, 11.75 an hr. And like the other guy said no nights out or early starts. I’m just happy finding something that fits in with my kids. There’s no parttime work at all during the week.

Yoni:

Radar19:

7.5 tonnes to start with, I’m hoping they’ll let me move up the bigger trucks when a space is open. Money is not bad, 11.75 an hr. And like the other guy said no nights out or early starts. I’m just happy finding something that fits in with my kids. There’s no parttime work at all during the week.

Some drivers hate this sort of work but if you are always delivering to the same places then you’ll strike up a relationship with the staff which is nice to have as they might let you take a break in their yard. Just be prepared to get a massive amount of drops with some residential addresses mixed in. Since you’re in a 7.5t you’ll have the EU driving laws to run by which means you can actually take a break. Never seen a van driver have a break.

Radar19:

Yoni:

Radar19:

Some drivers hate this sort of work but if you are always delivering to the same places then you’ll strike up a relationship with the staff which is nice to have as they might let you take a break in their yard. Just be prepared to get a massive amount of drops with some residential addresses mixed in. Since you’re in a 7.5t you’ll have the EU driving laws to run by which means you can actually take a break. Never seen a van driver have a break.

No, exactly. In this parttime job I have now I work 5 hrs straight, sometimes longer, without a break. I like knowing my customers, we have a chat and a moan [emoji6] you know. Plus I’ve been searching for months for a proper class 2 job where the hours suit me and it’s just not there. At least I’ll build up experience again and after a while hopefully I’ll move up to class 2 and 1.

I’ve got a mate who works for tuffnells out of their cullompton depot and he says he loves it he’s on 3.5t though, their vehicles around here are modern brand new mostly and seem well maintained. He never appears to have as many drops as I do but he does more bulk stops. Reckons pay is good and working conditions are fair so hope this helps some :slight_smile:

Sounds good yoni go for it, could lead to bigger (18T) things! :smiley:

Somebody got there first, and got the Tuffnells job [DISAPPOINTED FACE]. I’m now considering getting my HIAB licence as they usually have sociable hours mon to Fri.

Hi yoni, I work for tuffnells at Leicester, the management are the best I’ve ever worked for, as for the way they treat and respect drivers, because they can’t get the drivers so they look after the ones they have. as for organizing work, ■■■■■■ and brewery come to mind.

class 2 is the same rate as the 7.5t £465 per week, not hourly paid. I was on 28 quid an hour over Xmas, so sometimes it works to your advantage. but there is a performance bonuses which you lose if you have a day off, fail to get the premium deliveries there on time or bash the truck. I had a couple of days off 2 weeks ago and only came out with 197 quid for the week.

class 2 and bulk work is easy, 5-10 deliveries a day and a couple of collections. the 7.5s they expect you to do 40+ deliveries a day. as you can imagine, when you learn where they are, it’s not to hard, but when you start it’s real tear your hair out stuff. the handball can be heavy as well.

hth

jbaz73:
Hi yoni, I work for tuffnells at Leicester, the management are the best I’ve ever worked for, as for the way they treat and respect drivers, because they can’t get the drivers so they look after the ones they have. as for organizing work, ■■■■■■ and brewery come to mind.

class 2 is the same rate as the 7.5t £465 per week, not hourly paid. I was on 28 quid an hour over Xmas, so sometimes it works to your advantage. but there is a performance bonuses which you lose if you have a day off, fail to get the premium deliveries there on time or bash the truck. I had a couple of days off 2 weeks ago and only came out with 197 quid for the week.

class 2 and bulk work is easy, 5-10 deliveries a day and a couple of collections. the 7.5s they expect you to do 40+ deliveries a day. as you can imagine, when you learn where they are, it’s not to hard, but when you start it’s real tear your hair out stuff. the handball can be heavy as well.

hth

Thanks for that inside info. Somebody took the job I was after before I even had the interview though so I’m back to square one [emoji6].