Tuffnells

I’ve given up looking for driving work and decided to apply for a ‘Warehouse Operative’ vacancy with Tuffnells. Just wondered if anybody on here had worked for them before or know what they are like to work for?

It’s only loading/unloading wagons and parcel sorting - so not rocket science, but at least it’ll pay the bills. :smiley:

Thanks in advance.

My lads used to work for them doing just that.

They did the evening shift after school and recon it was a right laugh, one thing for sure if it was hard work they wouldn’t have done it :stuck_out_tongue:

Tuffys are a good firm to work for, they do look after the workforce but don’t forget it’s them paying the wages.

I used to work for Tuffnells and they were a company in my opinion. One time I got called into the office and sworn at by the manager because of my ‘attitude’…I actually had a cold, but the coughing and sneezing hadn’t given it away! They also made me go out in defective vehicles…one time the front offside tyre was bald and showing a bit of cord, so I went and told the manager, he came out and had a look and started quoting this, that and the other, giving me various things and then sent me out in it…im glad I wasn’t pulled over by VOSA.

They kept on promising to let me drive their artics but then kept on finding excuses not to let me. And anothet thing…their shunters are a right bunch of stuck up , The fat shunter in Andover once went off at me because everyday I asked what bay he wanted me to go onto…because I was on a different route every day I never knew which bays to go on and you weren’t allowed to just put the wagons on any bay.

They would also ring you every 10 minutes asking where you were and how many more drops you had left to do, and if you were doing well they’d always ask you to come back to the depot, change vehicles and go and do a bulk run somewhere else…and to top it off the wages were only good if you turned up everyday and dropped off all your parcels and done all your collections. If you missed one parcel that was £65 a week gone! If you missed one day, that was another £65 a week gone!

All in all mate…don’t do it unless you and the manager are in a relationship!

( language edit… no stars allowered ) jd

Hi JD, sorry for the language…what can I use as a replacement of swear words that would convey the same message of rage, but without actually swearing (or in this case starring)? :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks very much for the comments, lads.

Unfortunately Adam I am absolutely desperate at the minute mate, so I don’t really have any other choices. Luckily it’s only warehouse work, so if I get the job I’m hoping to just go in there, keep my head down and get on with it without any problems.

Just out of interest - the interview is tomorrow, it said on the advert that it’s an open interview and no appointments needed, just turn up with a CV. What would you guys wear for this? I was thinking of just wearing smart trousers, shirt and tie. Do think this is OK, or would you go all the way and wear a full suit?

Clean and tidy - smart casual will be fine, your not being interviewed for the CEO job, you will be fine - good luck.

I’d go dressed like this…

Tell them you just got back off holiday and called in before you went home to unpack :exclamation: :open_mouth: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

Joking aside as has been said, smart casual. Do some RESEARCH on the company if you haven’t done so already. You’d be suprised how many dont, it may help swing it your way. Every little helps - I know your not going for a TESCO interview but the principle remains the same. :smiley: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

As the others have said, Just smart casual…I’d wear trousers, shooes and a shirt…but I’d leave the tie out of it, just have your top button undone. I was only giving my side of the story from a drivers point of view…The warehouse staff looked like they always had a laugh…go for it, but if they offer you driving in the future I’d turn it down and stay inside the warehouse! Best of luck mate

Adam_Mc:
As the others have said, Just smart casual…I’d wear trousers, shooes and a shirt…but I’d leave the tie out of it, just have your top button undone. I was only giving my side of the story from a drivers point of view…The warehouse staff looked like they always had a laugh…go for it, but if they offer you driving in the future I’d turn it down and stay inside the warehouse! Best of luck mate

I’d agree with this.I do the odd day for them driving, and the drivers seem to have a dogs life but the wharehouse staff seem to be having a pretty fair time of it. Good luck!! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Adam_Mc:
Hi JD, sorry for the language…what can I use as a replacement of swear words that would convey the same message of rage, but without actually swearing (or in this case starring)? :stuck_out_tongue:

Use zb you stupid zb… :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Hi there what depot you applying for i worked for them for 15 years doing shunting day and night trunking

Thanks for all of the comments - it’s appreciated.

Smart casual it is then. I’m probably being a bit a too keen. I haven’t been to an interview for about 8 years, so I’m a little nervous. :laughing:

Thanks for the advice pecjam, I’ll do that. Except the part about the outfit of course. :sunglasses:

wollawba:
Hi there what depot you applying for i worked for them for 15 years doing shunting day and night trunking

It’s the Haydock depot in St. Helens. I don’t know how big Tuffnells depots usually are, but this one only looks small. It does look a busy place though.

Haydock is a busy depot from 1800 onwards but dont expect little parcels tuffnells carry anything from a jiffy bag, front doors,tyres,anything they can get.Get used to walking as you do loads walking around the warehouse

well i start today as a driver with them in scotland.

Tuffnells didn’t pay me sick pay when I had an accident at work. Found It hard to get the CRB check money back out of them, and the traffic manager used to ring me up regularly shouting at me how i had lost them contracts, I hadn’t done enough drops and was just generally useless at the topic of the day so my advice would be to avoid them like the plague

amates brother turned up at his local depot asking if any jobs going in warehouse, can you drive was the question, thinking he meant forks the reply was yes!! start at 6 pm then, he turned up and was handed the keys to a wag and drag, he did only have a fork license no car let alone truck…

heard a load of horror stories from drivers at brierley hill depot, wallows, dunno if its still there though,

but to be honest never heard a bad story involving warehouse guys

Give them a go

Just remember that in the managments eyes you will at least be one up from a truck driver. :slight_smile: and more than likely on more money!
Good luck.

caz:
Found It hard to get the CRB check money back out of them,

When I was with them, the CRB check was actually a SAR (Subject Access Request) to the local Police. I did mine, got the money back from them, but as the SAR came back to me I could filter what info I wanted them to see before I handed it in.