Tuffnells Parcels Express

moomooland:
Tuffnells has gone to the wall insolvent everyone made redundant with immediate effect.

What a sorry sad situation.

DX must be rubbing their hands. :frowning:

Bad news indeed.
Whatever happens next many will be very worried at the moment, so sympathy due there.

The existing Tuffnell clients will need to get their stuff moved somehow so hopefully all ex-employees will be OK but a period of unwelcome uncertainty for now.

simcor:

blue estate:

edd1974:
They all will be picking at the Carcass before itā€™s even dead and most likely are already doing so.

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk

We were handed out sales forms this morning to get business from those shippers that have been left in the lurch. Tuffnells volume isnā€™t what we want unless you like tractor tyres and doors :laughing:

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-s ā€¦ e-65880745

Recruiters will be rubbing their filthy hands togetherā€¦

Very bad news for employeesā€¦
motortransport.co.uk/blog/2023/ ā€¦ edundancy/

I did pose a question about Turnells a few months back, obviously it was couched in terms a bit too obtuse in my desperation to not fall foul of the rumours rule :smiley:

So sad to see any company go down and lay off staff. Have done a few ad-hoc days for them through my local agency, and to be honest they were the easiest days work Ive done so not really surprising having seen how their customers muck them around and kept them waiting. Use to pick up large rolls of rubber safety mats from a place between Exeter and Cullompton run by Russian guys . I was always told do not arrive until 14.30 and closed the doors at 16.30 whether loaded or not. Funny how they wanted to load you once you closed the back doors. Companies like them that have contributed to their downfall. Sad for all the staff.

miketdt:
So sad to see any company go down and lay off staff. Have done a few ad-hoc days for them through my local agency, and to be honest they were the easiest days work Ive done so not really surprising having seen how their customers muck them around and kept them waiting. Use to pick up large rolls of rubber safety mats from a place between Exeter and Cullompton run by Russian guys . I was always told do not arrive until 14.30 and closed the doors at 16.30 whether loaded or not. Funny how they wanted to load you once you closed the back doors. Companies like them that have contributed to their downfall. Sad for all the staff.

Sadly itā€™s not just that customer, or Tuffnells, who suffer that sort of thing. I shudder to think just how much time collectively is wasted sat at RDCs, sat waiting for work or waiting for a call back or waiting because you canā€™t get to a delivery slot earlier in case the firm picks up a fine etc etc etc.

Sad news.

I really enjoyed working at Tuffnells. It had a small company vibe to it.
Yea, the trucks were horrible, but as a hgv driver I knew the other HGV drivers well, the office staff, warehouse guys and everyone else. Drivers would often help to get the sort done. Warehouse guys would often go out with drivers to help out with heavy deliveries.

It was honestly a nice place to work despite all the crap. But on the flipside it did feel like a company that was very much not adapted to the modern day.

What I find interesting having worked at DX Freight as well is that a few years ago the situation was very much reversed. Tuffnells was doing pretty good. DX Freight was struggling.
motortransport.co.uk/blog/2017/ ā€¦ -dunn-ceo/

There has always been poaching going on between these two firms and if you go even further back between these two and city-link.
It is a cut throat business.

I know DX-freight did get a fair amount of tuffnells managers. Which is kind of a big deal when all those former managers often have great relations with current tuffnells clients. Last time I worked at Tuffnells they were losing a lot of work to DX-Freight.

Wow shocked.

Only just found out about tuffnells after a delivery of mine was due and the company rearranged the delivery via another company.

Poor sods.

Anyone know anything about Shift that have bought the name and intellectual property?
Article quoted them as cutting-edge AI-driven routing decisions and driver management efficiency.
Sounds like theyā€™d be a joy to work for!

Sent from my Note 13P using Tapatalk

Munchkin:
Article quoted them as cutting-edge AI-driven routing decisions and driver management efficiency.

Oh God :unamused:

Theyā€™ve missed off the words ā€œlogisticsā€ and ā€œsolutionsā€. That would be a parody too far I think.

ezydriver:

Munchkin:

Oh God :unamused:

Theyā€™ve missed off the words ā€œlogisticsā€ and ā€œsolutionsā€. That would be a parody too far I think.

Ash, thatā€™ll be where the disruptive bit comes in.

Sent from my Note 13P using Tapatalk

From what Iā€™ve read Shift is described as ā€˜uber for couriersā€™.

Someone puts a job on and the lowest bidder takes it.

Must be doing something right though as Iā€™m sure I also read he had turned over a 100 million.

Sounds like courier/haulage exchange to me like.

I worked for Shift for a week through an agency doing this:- (IKEA to Access self storage)
housebeautiful.com/uk/lifes ā€¦ s-service/

Not sure if itā€™s the same ā€œShiftā€?

A N other company that will shine brightly and just as quickly evaporate once the incompetent middle management promoted beyond their abilities start to meddle in things that their ā€œologyā€ has ill prepared them for.

Jimmy McNulty:
From what Iā€™ve read Shift is described as ā€˜uber for couriersā€™.

Someone puts a job on and the lowest bidder takes it.

Must be doing something right though as Iā€™m sure I also read he had turned over a 100 million.

Sounds like courier/haulage exchange to me like.

100 million staff, maybe. :unamused: