TTX Transport Oldham

Truckulent:
Out of interest, what would you consider a poor rate…? If the rules allowed it would you work for £5 an hour 'cos a job’s a job at the end of the day?? Or £4■■ where would you draw the line? :unamused:

Would you work for say, £500/week take home ?

I would think some would regard that as half decent, but in our game could well be below minimum wage :blush:

Your all taking this out of context. I’m not saying I’d take a job on MW and stick with it for the next 20years.

For a new driver that currently has 2 days experience, a couple of weeks work on minimum wage is a small price to pay to get on your feet.

LR18-8:

waynedl:
I’m out of work and round the corner from them, and I still won’t be applying.

A job is a job at the end of the day. Even if its only to keep you going until something better paid comes around.

I agree, a job is a job, but I refuse to drive an artic, with all the responsibility, for that low wage.

I’ve been on containers for most of the last 4 years, which is well known to be the worst hourly paid job in haulage because you don’t unload yourself, and even that’s better paid than those rates.

Roadways is £8 / hr, Turners was £410 for 55hrs (guarenteed 11hrs per day), £9.45 after 11hrs per day (not after 55hrs per week), and Maritime were £375 for 55hrs (guarenteed 11hrs per day) and £10 / hr after 11hrs per day (not after 55hrs per week). Both Turners and Maritime also had a meal allowance system.

waynedl:

LR18-8:

waynedl:

A job is a job at the end of the day. Even if its only to keep you going until something better paid comes around.

I agree, a job is a job, but I refuse to drive an artic, with all the responsibility, for that low wage.

I’ve been on containers for most of the last 4 years, which is well known to be the worst hourly paid job in haulage because you don’t unload yourself, and even that’s better paid than those rates.

Roadways is £8 / hr, Turners was £410 for 55hrs (guarenteed 11hrs per day), £9.45 after 11hrs per day (not after 55hrs per week), and Maritime were £375 for 55hrs (guarenteed 11hrs per day) and £10 / hr after 11hrs per day (not after 55hrs per week). Both Turners and Maritime also had a meal allowance system.

Not much more than mw no matter how much you tart it up :unamused:

when i was younger with two young kids i would never worry too much about the basic wage as most of the jobs i had were % paid and as long as u was not afraid to work u could earn and i am not talking about running night and day but just doing a far days graft it was allways the end figure i was bothered about i would always sooner be in work to keep my family then being on the dole i think they call it pride.

steve_24v:

waynedl:

LR18-8:

waynedl:

Exactly. Crap pay…even on £8+ per hour…

Imagine then how crap it gets when you’re on even less at £7/hour… :frowning:

£375 for 55 hours is £6.82/hour. If you drive an artic for that well…you must love driving artics and not be that fussed if you get paid for it or not!!

I can understand people really needing a job…but there is a cut off point and that’s well below it. Too much responsibility for too little wage methinks…

Professor:
when i was younger with two young kids i would never worry too much about the basic wage as most of the jobs i had were % paid and as long as u was not afraid to work u could earn and i am not talking about running night and day but just doing a far days graft it was allways the end figure i was bothered about i would always sooner be in work to keep my family then being on the dole i think they call it pride.

How much pride do you have in working for less than the minimum wage■■? I see your point but…

…there comes a point when pride is no longer pride. It becomes stupidity… :unamused:

waynedl:

So what you’re inferring is, you’re too good a driver to work for that kind of money, but quite happy to let the rest of us do so and pay taxes to keep you sat on your arse? :imp:

In my experience you’re more likely to get a better job if you’ve got a job to start with; I’ve had some crap jobs in my time but I’d far sooner get off my ■■■■ and work than hold my hand out expecting the state to pay for my enforced holiday.

gnasty gnome:

waynedl:

So what you’re inferring is, you’re too good a driver to work for that kind of money, but quite happy to let the rest of us do so and pay taxes to keep you sat on your arse? :imp:

In my experience you’re more likely to get a better job if you’ve got a job to start with; I’ve had some crap jobs in my time but I’d far sooner get off my ■■■■ and work than hold my hand out expecting the state to pay for my enforced holiday.

+1 If it’s all you can find/get, you should take it till something else comes along.

Glad I’m getting a bit of backup on this thread lol

LR18-8:
Glad I’m getting a bit of backup on this thread lol

I guess most have worked for crap money at some time, needs must and all, I certainly have, and do, it depends if the job suits…

Personally I’m not so bothered with the bottom line, if the jobs a good un and I can live on it then fine.

It’s up to you where you draw the line, but take it too far and it becomes a ■■■■ take :unamused:

steve_24v:

waynedl:

LR18-8:

waynedl:

I agree, but as I said, at least it is (was) a ■■■■ easy job, not opening / closing curtains in the wind, rain and snow, pump trucking ■■■■ around and maybe even using tail lifts.

In containers, the wage has always been low due to the max hours low work ratio, you can usually do 15hrs a day everyday because you’ll get 3hrs kip at 1 of the jobs (or quay’s if you go Seaforth)

gnasty gnome:

waynedl:

I’m out of work, but not entitled to any benefits because my girlfriend earns too much, but if you feel you must pay me to sit on my arse, I’ll pm you my address so you can pop a cheque in the mail.

The problem for me now is, I need a job for a good while, not another 3 - 6mth job, my 5yr checkable history that I had to fill in for Royal Mail the other day looks like a ■■■■■■■ Encyclopedia of companies around the Manchester area, so I’m not enclined to take a bad paid job as a stepping stone to a better paid job at the moment.

jessicas dad:

Truckulent:

LR18-8:
Considering I’ve had 2 days experience driving C+E since passing my test I’d take work at minimum wage if it meant I’d be gaining experience and getting more cash than at the jobcentre.

That’s not to say I’d settle with that job, I’d stay there until I had a better offer.

Fair enough. I can see your point But…who’s going to offer you much more if you admit at interview you are currently working for the minimum wage? If I was the TM, I’d think ‘great we’ll stick him on 20p/hour more than MW and he’ll think he’s in luck…and we’re getting the job done for next to nowt.’ Obviously, you may drop lucky…

who would be stupid enough to admit at an interview that they would work for minimum wage :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: what i do is wait until they tell me the wage and start mental calculations and decide there and then, ive walked out a few interviews telling them thier money is crap.

lol

You wouldn’t have to tell them matey. Just saying whom you worked for would be quite enough…It’s no secret what firms pay - just check out the posts on here re Steady Eddie alone. Any TM worth anything will know exactly what other companies in the same area are paying…unless they’re utterly thick, which isn’t impossible i suppose… :laughing:

LR18-8:

waynedl:

Well said that man !!! . I was only recently made to retire by a so called blue chip company who did have very very good pay and conditions , I and others like me have been replaced by agency staff . Always remember all that glitters is`nt gold !!! .

I have just been on some truckracing site, and it mentions TTX and David Taylor, is it the same company?

Wheel Nut:
I have just been on some truckracing site, and it mentions TTX and David Taylor, is it the same company?

Yes Wheelnut Daves son Luke is the driver.

ttxmotorsport.co.uk/home.htm

waynedl:
I’m out of work, but not entitled to any benefits because my girlfriend earns too much, but if you feel you must pay me to sit on my arse, I’ll pm you my address so you can pop a cheque in the mail.

:laughing:

Got enough hassles of me own mate. Sorry I had a pop but you didn’t make it clear you weren’t claiming.

Can see where you’re coming from regarding the CV, but trust me a 6 month unexplainable gap looks far worse than a crap job. When I was trained up in recruitment, I was taught that things like that usually hide something you don’t want the prospective employer to know about; I know you’re legit on this but the thing is a firm like Royal Mail will take the easiest option and bin your CV rather than check it out. Telling 'em you’re living off your girlfriend’s earnings might not be the best idea either; believe it or not, for all this modern guff like testing and ■■■■■■-babble, HR departments are notoriously conservative in their outlook.

I worked for nothing for a week to get a job when I first passed my Class 1 in 1986 at age 21 or he wouldn’t have hired me like the dozens of firms before him hadn’t, I did the job well, he paid me anyway and I was on my way into my driving career on artics, sorted. Never had any probs getting a job after that even though I was under 25 when I moved on from them to my next job. I’d work for TTX, it’s a job and I love driving wagons still. As long as I love the job and I’m happy with the firm I work for and it pays the bills then that’s good enough for me. I’ve been in a well paid job but it wasn’t good for me.Money isn’t everything.

philtvc65:
I worked for nothing for a week to get a job when I first passed my Class 1 in 1986 at age 21 or he wouldn’t have hired me like the dozens of firms before him hadn’t, I did the job well, he paid me anyway and I was on my way into my driving career on artics, sorted. Never had any probs getting a job after that even though I was under 25 when I moved on from them to my next job. I’d work for TTX, it’s a job and I love driving wagons still. As long as I love the job and I’m happy with the firm I work for and it pays the bills then that’s good enough for me. I’ve been in a well paid job but it wasn’t good for me.Money isn’t everything.

I agree, which is why I usually stick to container work.

Other people chase the money, they can have the curtainside / tail lift work, and earn their money, I’ll sit on my laptop and let the ‘EU workers’ do the hard work.
BUT, I won’t do the hard work for container money.

As I said, each to their own. I’ve applied for a few jobs this week, and only 3 of them are in haulage.