Trying to understand reduced daily rests

Can someone please explain how to work out and “take” a reduced daily rest. I’ve never had to do it for my current job but incase I do (or for another job) I want to know I’m doing it right.

I normally start at 5am and I’m done in 12 hours and on my way home so I always get a full 11 hours rest. But if for example I started at 5am and finished at 4pm. Could I take 9 off and restart at 1am? or have I broken the “24 hour period” as it’s not 5am? :confused:

Or for example again, I’m done by 2pm could I take 9 off and restart at 11pm? or again is that breaking the 24 hour period?

Two weeks ago I got stuck in traffic for about 2.5 hours after an accident which turned my day into 14.5 hours (0500-1915), I’d had 11+ hours rest before the start and I took 10.75 hours off as I wanted to be back in for 6am to get a good start and then took my usual 45+ hours weekly rest so as far as I understand thats legal and fine?

I’m probably just over thinking but I can’t get my head around working out a reduced daily rest.

Thanks
Mark.

Mark28:
Can someone please explain how to work out and “take” a reduced daily rest. I’ve never had to do it for my current job but incase I do (or for another job) I want to know I’m doing it right.

I normally start at 5am and I’m done in 12 hours and on my way home so I always get a full 11 hours rest. But if for example I started at 5am and finished at 4pm. Could I take 9 off and restart at 1am? or have I broken the “24 hour period” as it’s not 5am? :confused:

A new 24 hour period start when you’ve completed a daily or weekly rest period so yes that’s legal :smiley:

Mark28:
Or for example again, I’m done by 2pm could I take 9 off and restart at 11pm? or again is that breaking the 24 hour period?

A new 24 hour period begins when you have completed the daily rest period at 14:00 so that’s legal again :smiley:
Remember only 3 reduced daily rest periods between weekly rest periods though :wink:

Mark28:
Two weeks ago I got stuck in traffic for about 2.5 hours after an accident which turned my day into 14.5 hours (0500-1915), I’d had 11+ hours rest before the start and I took 10.75 hours off as I wanted to be back in for 6am to get a good start and then took my usual 45+ hours weekly rest so as far as I understand thats legal and fine?

Yes legal as long as you had a reduced daily rest period to spare, remember no more than 3 reduced daily rest periods between weekly rest periods.

A point to mention here, you start at 05:00 and finished at 19:15 so the 24 hour period finished at 05:00 the following day and only the part of the rest period that was inside the 24 hour period would count as a daily rest, so even though you had 10.75 hours off only 9.75 hours would count as daily rest, anything outside of the 24 hour period would not be counted as part of the daily rest period.

Still legal but watch where the 24 hour period starts and ends :wink:

Mark28:
I’m probably just over thinking but I can’t get my head around working out a reduced daily rest.

Thanks
Mark.

That can happen :wink:

For now we won’t go into split daily rest periods as that will only confuse you more, we’ll stick to normal daily rest periods and reduced daily rest periods.

The regulations state that within 24 hours from the start of shift you should have completed a daily rest period of no less than 11 hours, this can be reduced to 9 hours 3 times between weekly rest periods (think I said that before though :stuck_out_tongue: :wink: ).

A new 24 hour period starts when you have completed a daily or weekly rest period.

The whole of the daily rest period or reduced daily rest period must fit into the 24 hour period, any part of the rest period that falls outside the 24 hour period will not count as part of the daily rest period.

You seem to have this sussed but feel free to post back if you are unsure about anything.

Thanks tachograph :smiley: seems I was over thinking, it was mainly the breaking the 24 hour period that I’d got stuck in my head.

I have normal rest periods sussed in my head now but can you clear up about split ones then I can leave you alone :laughing:

I don’t need to worry about split rests for my current job but the way I understand them is…

For example…
Start: 5am
Work until 8am
Break until 11am
Work until 4pm
9 off then restart at 1am?

A few q’s…
A split rest count doesn’t count as a reduced rest as it’s split instead of a simple 9 off?
Is the point of a split rest, to be able to take 9 off if you’ve used all your 3 reduced?
Why is it always “between weekly rest periods” and not just “a week”?

Mark.

Mark28:
Thanks tachograph :smiley: seems I was over thinking, it was mainly the breaking the 24 hour period that I’d got stuck in my head.

I have normal rest periods sussed in my head now but can you clear up about split ones then I can leave you alone :laughing:

I don’t need to worry about split rests for my current job but the way I understand them is…

For example…
Start: 5am
Work until 8am
Break until 11am
Work until 4pm
9 off then restart at 1am?

That’s correct but at the risk of seeming picky it’s “Rest” from 08:00 to 11:00 not “break”, there is a difference :wink:

The regulations state that if you have a rest period of at least 3 hours during the shift then you only need another rest period of 9 hours before the end of the 24 hour period.
With a split daily rest period you will always have a total of at least 12 hours rest before the end of the 24 hour period.

Mark28:
A few q’s…
A split rest count doesn’t count as a reduced rest as it’s split instead of a simple 9 off?

That’s correct, as long as the first part of the rest period is at least 3 hours and the second part of the rest is at least 9 hours it’s legal and doesn’t count as a reduced daily rest period.

Mark28:
Is the point of a split rest, to be able to take 9 off if you’ve used all your 3 reduced?

I guess it just makes the regulations more flexible but I can’t say what was going through the bureaucrats minds when the regulations were written :wink:

Mark28:

Sorry I can only answer that it’s the way the regulations were written

A week is 00:00 Monday to 24:00 Sunday so there is a difference for many drivers who don’t work Monday to Friday/Saturday :wink:

For instance if a driver works Wednesday to Monday/Tuesday you can see how it could make a difference to him/her.

Thanks for your help tachograph, seems I knew what I was barking on about just needed someone in the know to clarify it. :slight_smile:

Mark.

You’re welcome :smiley:

Mark28:

They changed it to prevent drivers who don’t do the ‘normal’ Monday - Friday/Saturday being able to reduce more than 3 times between weekly rest periods if their shift pattern began in one fixed week and ended in another. A Friday to Wednesday shift pattern would mean you could reduce 6 times in a row if it was still three times per week.

Thanks Coffee/tachograph, makes sense now.

Mark.