trunking ?

■■?

Yes you are correct but someone has heard you wrong and thought you said “trucking”.

those were the days, are there any real trunking jobs left anymore ? i always did nights as it was easy pick up a trailer bugger off with it for about 4 hours or so but having a nice cup of tea on the way, swap it or unload have a break then start the return leg with a stop or 2 on the way back

nice 11 hours worth of pay and easy job

now its all bounce about like a day man multiple jobs all over the place local distance
what a pile of crap the job is these days either that or i am just a lazy ■■■■■■■ who doesnt want to work for his money : ) hence i never went to get my cpc what the point anymore the job is just so underpaid and you have to work for it as well : (

Every night shift i do is trunking…drive down, trailer swap then drive back !! :smiley:

jobs a goodun !! :laughing:

Tooz:
Every night shift i do is trunking…drive down, trailer swap then drive back !! :smiley:

keep hold of that job if you can as there so hard to find now,

desypete:

Tooz:

Plenty of Trunking jobs out there,
We do nights & days for a parcel company, but they like to call it Linehaul these days

Toddy2:

desypete:

Tooz:

Plenty of Trunking jobs out there,
We do nights & days for a parcel company, but they like to call it Linehaul these days

i did some parcel work not long ago run down to birmingham to there hub and sit about for a few hours reload and back again it wasnt so bad i remember the days when i used to do united carriers and we ran down to the hub there in brum and had to drag everything out of the trailers and put them on the bay number for where the packages would be going next and pick up what was going back with us all hand ball took about 5 hours to unload and reload and then back up to warrington
compare that to a nice simple run down to London or scotland swap a trailer and back again for the same money ? hence i fell in love with night trunking work

like i said now its all local distance work on nights and your ruining around like a day man from dhl to stobarts to great bear and many other companys i have worked with there all going the same way with local trips less than 2 hours drive time around my area and i dont like to work for my money at all : ( its bad for me

Where I’m at is OK. At worst there’s one run you do three trailer swaps but usually its get to work, check the load is strapped down then run to somewhere, do a swap, come back. Nice as there’s several different runs on nights so its not as monotonous as going to the same pallet/parcel hub 5 nights a week.

desypete:

Tooz:

as i said im only agency as they are good jobs and rarely does a full time position come up in the companies !!

infact in one of them they have only taken on 1 guy in over 6 years as no one leaves as its that good !!

but hush hush i’ll say no more !! :wink:

I’ve bad mouthed my company in the past, but looking at some of these posts (and on other threads) it looks like I’ve got a pretty cushty number. Trunk to a different depot everyday, and twice a week pick up a back haul. Longest drive is 9.45 hours return trip plus other work once a week. shortest drive is 4 hours plus one hour other work no break needed :smiley: Looking at “trucker timer” app I average 50 hours a week duty time (including breaks).

thanks for the good info ,i did put a longer question on here ,but there’s always a smart arse ,so removed it ,basically i was offered a trunking job that paid less money, less hassle, as it was sold to me , but seems to be doing the same work ,as general haulage , all i wanted to know was, what was classed as trunking …as i don’t have a lot of experience,thought it would be easier for me to handle

Trunking is generally driving from point A to point B and coming back again and doing that to one or two places a night and maybe having no more than a handful of places you go to in total. You may do a trailer swap or you may get unloaded but usually it doesn’t involve delivering to the end customer.

For example: I take trailers to our NDC or other factory, do trailer swaps at Penrith/Lockerbie truck stops with Scots drivers or to Wincanton depots where the Wincanton day drivers will take them out for delivery. That’s trunking. If you go from a depot to a hub, tip and reload and go back to the depot, that’s trunking. Driving from Tesco RDC to Tesco RDC is trunking but Tesco RDC to a Tesco store wouldn’t be.

All my work nowadays is trunking, mostly nights. Last night was empty trailer to nr manchester, drop, pick up loaded trailer, down to main hub, 45, back to base, next week its base to main hub swap trailers unload at Chorley or Manchester on the return, usually 9-11hrs depending on the run. Been doing part time agency at the same place for over 4yrs so know all the runs out of the local base. Trunking really has to be one of the simplest jobs and I don’t even have to draw curtains. Can be boring as ■■■■ but because I’m ‘cover’ I get enough variation to stop me going completely nuts.

I used to trunk for a living for 5 years odd, till Eddie ■■■■ blocked me, I work for a living nowadays…

Tooz:

Tooz, rofl.

thanks ,gives me a bit of bargaining power about money ,the agency guy says trunking less £ than store delivery but less work ,i am getting on a bit now so thought take the easy option ,then when i get :blush: s there i have to strap down a load with those internal straps that i could not move ,had to climb up and down the top of barrels of beer about 10 times was knackered by the time i left the yard i thought less money for this ,if this is trunking i will stick to asda ,ect