Trunk Driving Jobs

Hello,
I’ve been doing some driving, but agency is wanting me to do day trunk driving and back home on a night.

Rough calculation is that I’ll be getting about 200 miles max. per day from the depot.?

my main concern is getting tired! Having not done trunk work before, should I do some trunk work part time… then build up the hours?

200 miles looks like your getting the opportunity of doing some part time trunking tight now take it sounds a nice steady number

Have I understood this right? You will be doing 200 miles driving a day and home every night?

I cant see this as a problem, I don’t see why you’d get tired if you sleep well in your own bed.

If I’ve misunderstood can you explain what it is you’ll be doing please.

What agency and area are you in, am stuck with the two year driving experience wall,
Passed all my four modules just stuck finding work, Pete

200 miles a day? Yes please lol, which company do the agency want you to work for ? If its like our place if you go to 1depot with 1 start time thats where you go Monday to Friday.

Jeff

200 miles from depot, means 200 miles back to the depot, therefore 400 miles a day.

Just to clarify… was contacted by an agency about daytime trunk work, and would be home on a night. I called them and said it would be 200 miles out… 200 back, driving a 7.5 ton (or will it be tonne now?) ridgid wagon.
they were coy about details… obviously… only other info. was that there’s no handballing.

The agency is driverhire.co.uk/ if anyone’s interested… the agency branch based in Newcastle but working from chester-le-street. for those interested, thought not sure if still available.

My main concern was distance driving… 400 miles may not be bad… but doing that 5 days per week… is it something I’d need to build up on or just go for it?

btw I was asked to drive a long wheel base merc. van from Sunderland to weston-super-mare and back in one day. didn’t fancy it due to my waryness… don’t fancy risking an accident by nodding off.

don’t take this the wrong way but is driving a profession for you then pal?
its all about hours/miles nights days x

Sounds to me touch and go whether this can be done legally in your hours what do others think?

coaster:
My main concern was distance driving… 400 miles may not be bad… but doing that 5 days per week… is it something I’d need to build up on or just go for it?

btw I was asked to drive a long wheel base merc. van from Sunderland to weston-super-mare and back in one day. didn’t fancy it due to my waryness… don’t fancy risking an accident by nodding off.

Not sure if you’re aware of what you’ve let yourself in for with this Professional Driving milarky, but 200 miles is nothing and neither is 400. A standard easy shift for any trunk driver will be 4 hours 20 solid driving to destination or pick up and then load, and then another 4h 20 solid back home, easily do around 460 miles in one shift or even more if you’re going to use a 10 hour block and do an overnight.

My first ‘distance’ job I drove from the heart of Glasgow down to Eccles in Manchester and back every single day. At the end of the day, you can only try it and if you become tired, STOP, regardless of what the office says or whether it’s a timed load. You won’t ever know your limit until you find it and each and every one of us would be lying if we said we hadn’t came close to dozing trying to find it… it’s a differen’t ‘limit’ while driving.

Sam Millar:

coaster:

Not sure if you’re aware of what you’ve let yourself in for with this Professional Driving milarky, but 200 miles is nothing and neither is 400. A standard easy shift for any trunk driver will be 4 hours 20 solid driving to destination or pick up and then load, and then another 4h 20 solid back home, easily do around 460 miles in one shift or even more if you’re going to use a 10 hour block and do an overnight.

My first ‘distance’ job I drove from the heart of Glasgow down to Eccles in Manchester and back every single day. At the end of the day, you can only try it and if you become tired, STOP, regardless of what the office says or whether it’s a timed load. You won’t ever know your limit until you find it and each and every one of us would be lying if we said we hadn’t came close to dozing trying to find it… it’s a differen’t ‘limit’ while driving.

wait till you do 500 on a 10hr drive

nick2008:

Sam Millar:

coaster:

wait till you do 500 on a 10hr drive

‘Easily do 460 or even more if you’re going to use a 10 hour block.’ :wink:

400 a day is nowt really lads at old place went from Wolverhampton to gretna and back every night trunking, , Wolverhampton to Portsmouth docks was a regular run not long ago.

Most ive done is dudley to bristol then to truro then Torquay and got to exeter services 9hrs 51 mins 721kms then Bridgewater Gloucester and Cirencester on way back.

Jeff.

I do roughly 600km a night trunking

Sunderland to eeston is around 600 miles round trip and most definatly not possible done legally

Sunderland to weston that was ment to be

theshed:
Sunderland to Weston is around 600 miles round trip and most definatly not possible done legally

I agree, it can’t be done legally unless it’s multi-manned.