Truckstops and the RHA

Keep reading articles about the lack of truckstops , and the RHA, are allways quoted as saying, there should be more facilites for drivers etc etc, well why dont they start there own chain of truckstops ? , just a thought

They couldn’t do that, they need all the membership fees to pay there FAT CAT Salaries and expensive office suites.
Cant understand why companies still use them…NEVER done Sweet F A for the industry

The RHA are a waste of space. Anyway, it won’t do any good because they won’t get planning. Two applications have been rejected for Truckstops on the A55 this week. The locals don’t want lorries anywhere near them. There is nowhere secure to take a break between Lymm and Holyhead - if it was anything else it would be illegal. I pity the poor sods who have to do nights out, particularly in areas where there are no facilities. :imp:

The RHA are not in the business to operate truckstops I am the first to agree that there is a shortage suitable amenities in this country for HGVs I am sure they would suuport any moves for the introduction of new sites.They do an excellent job for hauliers and drivers as far as making sure that the DoT & VOSA dont go unchallenged when they decide to alter regulations, vehicle testing proceedures, technical issues & infrastructure to mention a few.
Its not fair to say that the fees go towards fat cats & expensive office suites, the office was moved about 20+ years ago out of London to Weybridge, it is a typical office block nothing special. The high profile names are not there anymore and the new Director General was promoted from within the RHA; he started in the RHA office in Darlington then ran the Nothern Area Office.
For my industry I can name at least a dozen items that the RHA Car Transporter group have had to fight for and won which has enabled the industry to operate more efficient.
I am an active member in the RHA who is not paid by the assosiation, but have attended regular meetings for over 40 years.