Truckstop Pastimes

Hi

If any of you have not read my last posts, I am a final year product designer at Sheffield Hallam University.

I am just wondering what drivers do when they have stopped for a longer periods of time say overnight? whether its watching DVDs or using laptops just to browse internet, among others, although saw this was brought up on another topic.

Have read a few diaries by Coffeeholic, so have a better understanding. But am wondering what other people’s travels include?

The reason I am asking this is that I am looking at methods of increasing communication between a driver and the outside environment.
Still at early stages, but looking at covering info already available about jobs being carried out etc, but bringing other information about places being passed while travelling and info about truckstops such as ratings given by truck drivers, among others. Things that maybe of interest to people who are on intercontinental trips, all through the wonders of wireless communication! :smiley:

Thanks for any help people can give, and if I have not explained something just let me know!

My favourite pasttime is taking the wing mirrors off of the daft buggers who park their cars on the exit of the truck parking :laughing:

After a 15 hour shift I usually like to sleep

Fair point……think most people would be to be fair,…

but is the longest time you can drive in a single stint 4 hours 30 mins?
is there also a set shortest amount of time that needs to be spent on a break before carrying on?…….

guess original question can be applied here, although aware that it likely some of this time spent on food etc?

Just to fit in, when I’m at Tebay, I like to blow my air horns as loud as I can in the middle of the night, then wonder why everyone slings abuse/■■■■ bottles at me :unamused: :unamused: :imp: :imp: .

i couldnt possibly say as this is a family site :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I normally have something to eat then go back to my cab and read till tired doing my best to avoid any contact with other British drivers about at all times!!! unless I know them, of course

Especially when parked up abroad

Hi there,

I’m writing from NZ - I hope you don’t mind me joining the discussion. I’m doing some work for an assignment at uni, and its really hard to find out info from the other side of the world!

I was wondering if drivers in the UK have problems with batteries going flat when they’re on a break and using the TV/air con etc…

I know in the US, drivers idle their engines (but I think have a smaller battery)Can anyone enlighten me…?

Thanks,
Vinni

Its a while since I did any nights out but when I did I took my TV with me which I stopped doing because I was fed up with having to wake up & turn the dam thing off at MIDNIGHT!!!.
Then I took to boiling water for a flask ready for when I got up also to have a cuppa with my fish & chips or Mc & Don’s. That didn’t last long because I fell asleep after eating my grub & wonder why it was so dam hot in the cab as the z/b kettle had boiled dry :angry: .

neil46:
i couldnt possibly say as this is a family site :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

…you got a job at Hanbury Davies Neil?? :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

its yonks since i had a night out but most of the time i watch telly or dvd…espcially in the winter…come the summer if i can get the bike in the trailer …off on the bike for a potter around the town or village.

Try not to get the nutter talking to you is the first priority, then tv out maybe watch a film or have a go on Playstation, have a read try to go to sleep at ten, then wait for the nut to start at 2 in the morning and warm his engine for 3 hours before he sets off

well i like to play a game called knock cab run and see how many drivers i pee off :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

PMSL :laughing: :laughing:

well i like to play a game called knock cab run and see how many drivers i pee of

It was you then was it ? :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

bigandy:

well i like to play a game called knock cab run and see how many drivers i pee of

It was you then was it ? :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

yep i only play it around 3am just to make sure your all asleep lol :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

teddy_0781:

bigandy:

yep i only play it around 3am just to make sure your all asleep lol :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

nice one teddy pmsl :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

teddy_0781:
well i like to play a game called knock cab run and see how many drivers i pee off :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

pmsl.

wot do you do if they answer the door b4 you get away?..ask if they want business… :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

ohterry:

teddy_0781:

pmsl.

wot do you do if they answer the door b4 you get away?..ask if they want business… :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

i have this game to a art i am that good i never get caught so dont worry about things like that :laughing: :laughing:

but hey if a woman anwsers the door i aint runnin i am climbing the bunk :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I like to fill carrier bags with rubbish and fill litre bottles full of ■■■■ when im stopped for the evening so i can chuck them on grass verges throughout the countryside whilst travelling the next day,its a right laugh :wink: :angry: :angry: