Trucks on springs

The rigid DAF truck I drive has springs n not air suspension, now its 18t but by god you put any heavy weight on it then it looks over weight.

When I mean it looks over weight it looks like it sinking with the spray flaps dragging on the floor with a couple off tonne still to spare.

My question is, is this just a cheapest of the cheap rental truck as I never seen any other truck with springs. and its a 12 plate.

I have been in a DAF dealer for 20 years and have never heard of your issue …I would imagine it is either overloaded or has been built wrong .or as a wild card wheel arches and spray flaps fitted incorrectly…Basically sitting on the fence :smiley:

Nope it is deffo on springs

I had a very basic rule of thumb when I drove my little 7.5 tonne tipper:

Sad springs = overloaded.
Happy springs = not loaded enough.

:grimacing:

rearaxle:
My question is, is this just a cheapest of the cheap rental truck as I never seen any other truck with springs. and its a 12 plate.

Possibly more expensive to have springs from the factory rather then air as standard…

How much weight are you putting on & is it evenly distributed.

Dave.

I thought for a class 3 to be plated at 18t it would need ‘road friendly suspension’ and is that not always air ?

Bluey Circles:
I thought for a class 3 to be plated at 18t it would need ‘road friendly suspension’ and is that not always air ?

My thoughts as well. I think the deal at the time going from 16t to 18t was the truck had to have air suspension.
Ref the springs, have you looked at them with no weight? If theyre relatively flat it could be theyre just worn out and need replacing.

We have an 18t Renault Midlum which is similar. Its doesnt half make a lot of creaking and groaning as well when you load it at the rear :open_mouth: .
If its fully freighted you are always clentching your bum cheaks if you on anything less than a billard table surface when you reverse in case you rip the mud flaps off.

AndrewG:

Bluey Circles:

My thoughts as well. I think the deal at the time going from 16t to 18t was the truck had to have air suspension.
Ref the springs, have you looked at them with no weight? If theyre relatively flat it could be theyre just worn out and need replacing.

Not so ,you can run 44 tonnes on all springs .

rearaxle:
The rigid DAF truck I drive has springs n not air suspension, now its 18t but by god you put any heavy weight on it then it looks over weight.

When I mean it looks over weight it looks like it sinking with the spray flaps dragging on the floor with a couple off tonne still to spare.

Have you weighed your axles ?

I can never understand why mudflaps are so stupidly long , I cut all mine at 8 inches off the ground.

Punchy Dan:

AndrewG:

Bluey Circles:

Not so ,you can run 44 tonnes on all springs .

I’m not doubting you as you often turn out to be right, but how does this fit in with ‘Road Friendly Suspension’? I always thought it had to be air
a suspension system whereby at least 75 per cent of the spring effect is produced by air or other compressible fluid
transportsfriend.org/road/definitions.html

Trailers with 3 leaf springs , also units with same set up although most had a air midlift .see the annex 2 bit ,it will be in there I’d guess .

We had a scania on springs and when you loaded it up to 26t it was almost on the floor but when the boss spoke to JHL they said it was normal