Trucks batteries

Evening all I’m now a tramper driver and just wondering how easy it is to run the battery flat? I currently only use the interior lights at night time don’t know if I can charge my phone or if that will drain them and also does the night heater run on the battery? I also have a fridge in the cab and that’s on all night and truck always starts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If your batteries are good then you’ll have no problems running those all night…

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Yea hopefully there good

Only one way to find out…

I’ve never had a problem doing as you suggest, plus running a microwave. Most trucks either warn you if the battery is getting too low to start the truck, or even turn off night heater etc if insufficient power in battery.

I have a tv on for around 5 hours plus the fridge is never turned off but it’s a new truck so they should be ok, as said the only real way is to chance it for a night.

Yea I drive a 12 plate scania with almost half a million miles on it and it drives fine and has no problems so should be alright

Put it another way. A phone charger will have a current draw of about 2 amps. A 24v fridge will draw about 5 amp roughly.
A decent truck battery is 170 amp hour or thereabouts depending on make / cost of the battery.
This means that the battery will allow a discharge of 170 amps for one hour.
Your truck will have 2 of these and so doubling that AH rating! if they are in good nick, they will run a fridge, chargers etc for a night with no problem.

Gembo:
Put it another way. A phone charger will have a current draw of about 2 amps. A 24v fridge will draw about 5 amp roughly.
A decent truck battery is 170 amp hour or thereabouts depending on make / cost of the battery.
Your truck will have 2 of these and so doubling that AH rating! if they are in good nick, they will run a fridge, chargers etc for a night with no problem.

Flaming heck, what phone are you charging? :grimacing:

From what I’ve been told…

‘Batteries aren’t what they used to be…’ No matter what the warranty is that come with them, It’s not worth the paper it’s written on…

if you have a multmeter you could take a reading of the battery with everything switched off, as long as its above 24 it should fire up in the morn

Never mind pish like breaking out multimeters or waranties, if it dies, it dies, as long as you don’t have the headlights on it isn’t your fault so don’t fret about it.

There’s nothing to worry about, they’re designed for these things to running with the engine off.

A.

Adonis.:
Never mind pish like breaking out multimeters or waranties, if it dies, it dies, as long as you don’t have the headlights on it isn’t your fault so don’t fret about it.

There’s nothing to worry about, they’re designed for these things to running with the engine off.

A.

In many ways you are correct, if the batteries don’t last over night in a cab designed for sleeping in then it up to your boss to fix it. But if it is your own motor, if the batteries are getting a bit old, or if you are parked up for days at a time. Then a multimeter, or better still a volt meter (fiver on ebay) wired into the dash is a really handy way of knowing when they are getting low and when to fire it up and let it tick over for half an hour.

It wouldn’t surprise me if modern trucks have a system that shuts down everything below a certain level just giving enough juice to start her up.

If you get a new scania it has 2 sets one for starting and one for leisure.Thats what was on the one i drove on demo.So it will always start no matter what you run in the cab thats was got told by scania when i picked up a demo S cab.

the nodding donkey:

Gembo:

Flaming heck, what phone are you charging? :grimacing:

That’s what i thought :smiley:

Can’t beat the Scania

Modern Volvos and a few Mercs have a battery meter tucked away in the dash menus if you have a poke around.

Obviously won’t be any help if you’re not driving one, but oh well.