Trucking the Middle (gasp) East?

John Aalborg:

propa lorry:
… Anyway,scammell crusader,this was a very beautiful (to me) lorry built during the seventies by scammell,part of the british leyland group.
If you go back on toprun,go to 2006,scroll down you will see’UK TO SPAIN,THE 2006 VINTAGE TRUCK RUN,click on that,my crusader is the red n white lorry 4th pic down.

Ah, a vintage twin-stack Scammell “Crusader”! I learn something every day. Question: they don’t make you wear a proper shirt when crossing the border? :smiling_imp: And what about that name “Crusader”? Methinks that no longer flies in burqa-babe country, but if the doctor told me I had only one more month to live, what a hoot it would be to run that baby though the Middle East loaded with western toilet paper. They’d have the choice of blowing me up or scoring a few rolls.

I am told that Richard the Lion Hearted, when he was there, ran out of the good stuff early on.

I have a tendency to fall in love with a good vintage vehicle when I see one, but when it comes to artics, if it don’t have power steering and air-conditioning, the “Good Old Days” are here now. BTW, that divided windshield (uk: wind screen?) is cool and it looks like it has those independent wipers which will wake a tired driver up every time they happen to run in synch for a few seconds. Something the governmemt should bring back for safety reasons? :unamused: :unamused:

Do the ■■■■■■■■ use toilet paper?Yes the wipers have a switch each,split screen!,well 2 interchangable flat pieces of glass,none of this one piece curved nonsense.
The old girl does get a few looks,big,square,strong lookin,just how a lorry should be,none of this plastic friendly lookin rubbish ,oh yeh and it dos’nt have a speed limiter,ha ha.or aircon,but has power steering and brakes on the front axle(being sarcastic there)

Sorry,sent the same post twice in error.

John Aalborg:

Simon:

Spardo:

John Aalborg:

harry:
‘Dogs & chains ,’ down South.

Ummm, what? :question: :question: :question:

Chains and sylvesters in the East Midlands. :wink: :laughing:

Chains and Dwangs in Central Scotland. :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

Dwangs?! (My cup runneth over) :stuck_out_tongue:

I just finished reading Baghdad Trucker by Kevin Noble, a small book, illustrated, which I found at amazon.com.uk – published last year. Not available in the US and it cost me dwangly: (Subtotal: £6.97 Delivery Charge: £6.98 Total: £13.95) “ground shipping” not available, no doubt due to global warming and the expansion of the pond.

Report: The first half of the book deals with Noble’s early life, a kind of autobiography, and I think he included that partly to show his motivation and what he considered his good luck to get into Middle East hauling for two years–late 70s–and he considers that era ending for Brits roughly at the time Saddam Hussein invaded Iran. In his travel descriptions he mentions the names of many old hands who drove for Davies and Astran etc.(Noble himself is now 63). What was interesting to me in particular was his description of Iraq at the time being the safest place in the Middle East for foreign drivers. Quite a contrast to what Iraq is now after Bonzai Bush had his international ego tantrum.

Noble concludes his book by writing: “I can honestly say that driving to the Middle East was the most enjoyable and satisfying job of my entire career.” He goes on to explain that it was the excitement of it and all the stories he now has to tell.

John,
You no doubt saw my contribution in “Badhdad Trucker”.
All through reading the book myself,(Which was sent to me direct from the publisher in return for my input),I thought I must know this Kevin Noble,but although I did the job for 12 years,some guys you met almost every trip,some you might only meet once in a lifetime.It was near the end of the book when Kevin mentions the episode of him falling asleep and running off the road in what was then Yugoslavia and ending up to his axles in a field.He said that for the week he was there,several English truckers stopped and tried unsuccessfully to tow him out,that’s when I realised,I KNOW THE GUY!
That was the only time I recall meeting him in his 3 year M/E career.I was running down with a pal when we saw this Davis rig in the middle of a field,with his boss “Taffy” parked up on the road,asleep in the cab.My mate and I strung ourselves together,and I had a 40 foot steel rope which was needed to reach him,he was so far off the road.No matter how much we pulled and snatched,no movement,and to avoid damage to our own trucks,we had to leave him,allbeit,with his boss.
I can only echo what most M/E drivers thought about our time down there,it was not so much a job,more the greatest adventure anyone could be involved in,bar none!
My link under here is a couple of small photo galleries which Ferdy put on his website,of just a few of my own adventures which will live with me forever.
I think anyone of us who was lucky enough to have been part of that era,finds that any subsequent job can never come within a mile of the excitement and daily change that we enjoyed.
The early days were great,but as time went on,new legislation in some countries,civil war in others,realisation of police in countries like Turkey and the Commie bloc ,that international truck drivers were a never ending source of “back handers”,made the job ever more difficult.
While us guys this side of the pond sometimes envy driving “Coast to coast” ,I THINK,I may get a little bored.I imagine a lot of your milage might be on good roads,what we call motorways,and on the whole,do most people you meet speak some form of English?
It was difficult to pack the job in and move on,but as one of the few long term M/E drivers to still be married to the same gal,when she said enough is enough,that was the time to call it a day.
Thanks to BB’s like this, can keep in touch with old colleagues who did the same job,and pass on some pics and anecdotes to younger guys who have heard all about it but unnfortunately will never be able to be the "Young warriors"that we were.

Simon:

Spardo:

John Aalborg:

harry:
‘Dogs & chains ,’ down South.

Ummm, what? :question: :question: :question:

Chains and sylvesters in the East Midlands. :wink: :laughing:

Chains and Dwangs in Central Scotland. :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

Chains and Warwicks on Teesside - the two types are distinguished as “Snap” (that you use a scaff bar on) and “bottle” (the ratchet type).

Chains and Dogs in Dorset though. :stuck_out_tongue:

Lucy:
[Chains and Warwicks on Teesside - the two types are distinguished as “Snap” (that you use a scaff bar on) and “bottle” (the ratchet type).

. :stuck_out_tongue:

Ah yes Warwicks, forgot about those, probably got it from Econofreight’s Teeside drivers.

Chains and Dogs in Dorset though

Those too, but then I knew all the different terms.
Multilingual, moi. :laughing:

John Aalborg:
PS: What is “klunk frae ■■■■■■■ wen ars yam”?

you will find, old chap, that this is a statement -in the rich dialect of the old county of ■■■■■■■■■■ - that Klunk is from ■■■■■■■■ when he is at home :wink: :laughing:

jj72:

John Aalborg:
PS: What is “klunk frae ■■■■■■■ wen ars yam”?

you will find, old chap, that this is a statement -in the rich dialect of the old county of ■■■■■■■■■■ - that Klunk is from ■■■■■■■■ when he is at home :wink: :laughing:

Aye. Dont get Klunk started, he will bamboozle a lot of folk if he gets on about oggers and appings :stuck_out_tongue:

Them thar lads frae Duncan Hill could speak another foreign language

bestbooties:

snip>
While us guys this side of the pond sometimes envy driving “Coast to coast” ,I THINK,I may get a little bored.I imagine a lot of your milage might be on good roads,what we call motorways,and on the whole,do most people you meet speak some form of English?

Yes, and no matter what part of the USA you are from, you can understand the dialects in other areas/states, which are merely accents, actually. We call motorways “interstates” and after a few years it does become boring. I suspect that for guys who have done extreme longhaul like yourself, our brand of longhaul, even though it includes 48 states (and Canada and Alaska sometimes) would seem ho-hum tame. Loading docks often have a frontier quality to them, and many of us carry guns for protection, but you Brits have by far a more interesting trucking life methinks.

I am only replying to a small portion of your message because I am under Lady Luck’s heel at present (the cantankerous redhead), but I’ll be back Thursday. There is much in your msg I want to reply to.

ATB to you, Ian.

propa lorry:
Do the [zb] use toilet paper?Yes the wipers have a switch each,split screen!,well 2 interchangable flat pieces of glass,none of this one piece curved nonsense.
The old girl does get a few looks,big,square,strong lookin,just how a lorry should be,none of this plastic friendly lookin rubbish ,oh yeh and it dos’nt have a speed limiter,ha ha.or aircon,but has power steering and brakes on the front axle(being sarcastic there)

Funny. BTW, we call speed limiters “governors” here and, of course, we all hate them. Our interstates (motorways) usually have a 70MPH speed limit but many trucks can only do 65. What seems even more stupid are split speed limits, one for HGVs and one for roller skates. States which use the same speed laws for cars and trucks have less accidents, but when did a statistic ever change a lawmaker’s mind?!

Now down to the good stuff. AFAIK, medieval costuming and toilet paper do not mix, and I was told by a Brit who lived in Beirut for many years that those cute, Arabian teapots they sell to tourists are actually water pitchers one takes into the WC and pours over the left hand so the tail-piece can be washed with water, using the fingertips. From this comes the socially unacceptable “left-handed handshake”. Since I do not want to be a rumor monger (not moe than a hundred times a year, anyway) I want to remind everyone that I have not witnessed this practice myself, and am glad there is nothing in my memory to pop up unsolicited, like, while I am eating lunch.

PS: On this subject and regarding these tribesmen, I get zb’d frequently myself. Leaves us all to smile while we try to guess what the other actually wrote. :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

bestbooties:
John,

Oh, yes. Your photos are the best. And there are some quotes from you at the beginning of the book, page 5. I had to reinstall Internet Explorer to see your stuff on TopRun.ch (I use FireFox now for a browser, and Toprun is the only site I have ever had trouble with). What is a Tonka driver?

bestbooties:
All through reading the book myself,(Which was sent to me direct from the publisher in return for my input),I thought I must know this Kevin Noble,but although I did the job for 12 years,some guys you met almost every trip,some you might only meet once in a lifetime.It was near the end of the book when Kevin mentions the episode of him falling asleep and running off the road in what was then Yugoslavia and ending up to his axles in a field.He said that for the week he was there,several English truckers stopped and tried unsuccessfully to tow him out,that’s when I realised,I KNOW THE GUY!
That was the only time I recall meeting him in his 3 year M/E career.I was running down with a pal when we saw this Davis rig in the middle of a field,with his boss “Taffy” parked up on the road,asleep in the cab.My mate and I strung ourselves together,and I had a 40 foot steel rope which was needed to reach him,he was so far off the road.No matter how much we pulled and snatched,no movement,and to avoid damage to our own trucks,we had to leave him,allbeit,with his boss.

Ha ha. I get the impression that Kevin Noble had to eat humble pie from time-to-time when Taffy Davies had other plans for him!

bestbooties:
I can only echo what most M/E drivers thought about our time down there,it was not so much a job,more the greatest adventure anyone could be involved in,bar none!

I can see that! Longhaul trucking here is more tame, but several times I quit so I could be home every night and, I thought, become bored to death. As it turned out I found night-shift jobs at small, motorway fuel stops near home, and I have many stories to tell about that. Here in the USA, there is no telling what too expect rolling in at 2-3:000AM. Sometimes it can be a circus, sometimes dangerous. I only mention this because Brits and Europeans tell me that firearms are strictly controlled. Well, on this nightshift job in a rural area, I kept a pistol on me. The first time I had to pull my gun I saw the perps get out of their car (big glass window in front of the shop) and begin to stuff big revolvers into their jackets in plain view. Duh! When they marched in I had my 9MM out and aimed right at them. “Get the ■■■■ out of my store!” When they high-tailed it I was so proud of myself I forgot to call the police. Turned out they went on to rob another fuel stop down the road and beat up two truck drivers. That said, I can’t imagine any job more interesting than longhaul.

bestbooties:
I think anyone of us who was lucky enough to have been part of that era,finds that any subsequent job can never come within a mile of the excitement and daily change that we enjoyed. The early days were great,but as time went on,new legislation in some countries,civil war in others,realisation of police in countries like Turkey and the Commie bloc ,that international truck drivers were a never ending source of “back handers”,made the job ever more difficult. … It was difficult to pack the job in and move on,but as one of the few long term M/E drivers to still be married to the same gal,when she said enough is enough,that was the time to call it a day.

Are you retired from driving alltogether now? Methinks you could write your own book.

bestbooties:
Thanks to BB’s like this, can keep in touch with old colleagues who did the same job,and pass on some pics and anecdotes to younger guys who have heard all about it but unfortunately will never be able to be the "Young warriors"that we were.

I know that feeling! My 2nd wife, Cheater, and I have been married 26 years now but she was a baby when we first hooked up. Now she is getting old! ‘:P’ She is from a small town in Alabama and her first two weeks in the truck with me we just happened to hit all the major east-coast cities: Boston, NYC, Chicago, New Orleans, Miami, Washington DC…and she was hooked. She now misses longhaul, too.

I have been running my mouth and I hope this message is not too long. :unamused: Think about writing your own book. The public, I found, eats up trucker stories, partly because we drivers are a mystery to them but also/maybe because the citizen life is boring?

John Aalborg:

bestbooties:
John,

Oh, yes. Your photos are the best. And there are some quotes from you at the beginning of the book, page 5. I had to reinstall Internet Explorer to see your stuff on TopRun.ch (I use FireFox now for a browser, and Toprun is the only site I have ever had trouble with). What is a Tonka driver?

Several years ago,when my kids were ankle biters,there was a range of kids play trucks that were available that were made of steel plate,very angular,but very strong,and the trade name was TONKA.
When we first started crossing Turkey,the first thing we noticed were the most common trucks on the road.These were usually a twin axle rigid with a single wheel tag axle added to enable the ,usually owner/driver,to carry the same sort of load as the big company semi’s.That inevitably meant overload in a big way.
These trucks were of various makes,Dodge,De Soto,Ford,to name but a few.they were tough but all of basically the same appearance,angular,so alike the kids play trucks at home that they became known collectively as Tonkas.So,therefore,a Tonka driver was the pilot of said Tonka!
This is a Tonka,not to be confused with the truck up top,that is a Mercedes of European manufacture.

Ha ha. I get the impression that Kevin Noble had to eat humble pie from time-to-time when Taffy Davies had other plans for him![
Taffy Davies was a hard taskmaster and not everyones cup of tea,but,as a boss,he could do the job himself so at least he knew a ■■■■ sight more than the majority of employers.
Are you retired from driving alltogether now? Methinks you could write your own book.

I retired from full time work 4 years ago,but as you no doubt know by now,there’s no way of getting away from them goddam trucks,so I do 2 night trunks a week for a local firm,quite big in the parcel business,in fact we’ve recently sold out to Fedex.The ANC livery is slowly being changed over to Fedex.
I have been asked many times when I’m going to write my book.Well,when I’ve told enough tales on here,I’m going to put them all together with a few hundred of my pics and call it my book!

bestbooties:
I have been asked many times when I’m going to write my book.Well,when I’ve told enough tales on here,I’m going to put them all together with a few hundred of my pics and call it my book!

Coffeeholic did that, it came out quite well.
Speak to him about the technicalities, I’m sure he’ll help you out, if you need any.
Coffee to Go Link will take you to the Amazon page for his book…

bestbooties:
Several years ago,when my kids were ankle biters,there was a range of kids play trucks that were available that were made of steel plate,very angular,but very strong,and the trade name was TONKA. This is a Tonka,not to be confused with the truck up top,that is a Mercedes of European manufacture.

That photo you sent is in Noble’s book! (© Ian Taylor)

I should have known what you meant by “Tonka”. After my 3rd crumb-snatcher was born, in 1965 (ancient times) a boy, he used to get a Tonka toy for Christmas each year until he got too old for them. The trucks were just as you described!

Wheel Nut:

Speaking of: (from your photobucket): “STOKER’S NOTICE” :question: :question: :question:

I need to hire somebody to pry me off looking at photo albums in TNUK. I haven’t bagged up this week’s household garbage yet and I can hear the tipper coming!

bestbooties:

Looking at the photos in Kevin Noble’s book (many of them yours) I realize that what is missing are the stories which Kevin should have placed with them.

I have had some success in getting trucker articles published and I have some advice to (unasked) dump. The public is interested in the adventure side of longhaul–the stories–and I know you have a head full of those from what you have already posted here. So for any of us to make serious money on a book, it has to be an adventure story. The nice thing about doing it that way is the details re the trucking itself come out automatically. In your case, to have your story put the reader right there in Syria or Turkey or wherever, you stick in details everywhere. Not just that something smells but what it smells like. If you have to take a dump in a seatless stall with just a hole in the floor, describe the tiles and if your shoes got wet when you pulled the chain if you didn’t get out fast enough. If you got scared in a certain situation, describe the fear. On every page, details. You have them in your head and they can all be shared. Use the language you normally use, also. No need to censor yourself with a book manuscript. If the task seems too much (the typing) throw your outline away and tell the stuff the way your memory says it happened. Bingo!

PS: Nobody knows and everybody wants to know what kind of underwear Arabs wear. If you ever find out, be the first to tell the world! :unamused:
ATB,

John Aalborg:

Wheel Nut:

Speaking of: (from your photobucket): “STOKER’S NOTICE” :question: :question: :question:

I need to hire somebody to pry me off looking at photo albums in TNUK. I haven’t bagged up this week’s household garbage yet and I can hear the tipper coming!

The Stokers Notice was a photo I spotted to reiterate a post from Spardo, (David)

Stoker is a literal translation from Chaufeur. I suppose it come from the days of the steamers! The Chaufeur or Stoker would have to light the fire and get the steam up.

long before my time Im afraid :stuck_out_tongue:

Your Arabian toilet habits are best described as messy, here in the UK now there are many toilets with the obligatory plastic Evian water bottle and footprints on the rim or seat :blush:

Wheel Nut:
Stoker is a literal translation from Chaufeur. I suppose it come from the days of the steamers! The Chaufeur or Stoker would have to light the fire and get the steam up. long before my time Im afraid :stuck_out_tongue:

At my age, getting the steam up is important! :slight_smile:

Your Arabian toilet habits are best described as messy, here in the UK now there are many toilets with the obligatory plastic Evian water bottle and footprints on the rim or seat :blush:

Ha ha. Yuk. When I was a new hire many years ago my new mates insisted I follow the boss into the loo and look under his stall. When a proper moment arrived, I waited a minute and walked in to see what the big deal was. I looked under the stall door. Nothing. No shoes, no feet, no legs… :confused: :confused: :confused: I quietly backed out of there but the memory remains burned in. WTF!

John,
This is how TONKA’S used to be loaded when I was down Turkey way,I think the police may have tightened up a bit since then.

bestbooties:
John,
This is how TONKA’S used to be loaded when I was down Turkey way,I think the police may have tightened up a bit since then

Looks like present day India without the monkeys and cows in the road.

I cannot imagine how wonderful it must be to have trucking memories like yours. Thanks for sharing the photos.

If nowadays the Turkish police are tightening up, I can imagine numerous truck driver’s sphincters tightening as well. :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

I couldn´t say anything about the days those two last photos were taken, but comparing to modern day trucks in turkey, the difference is minimal. our company regularly unloads at the Akzo Nobel factory in Gebze, next door is a big steel mill and you usually try to park your truck as far as possible from the main road due to all the flatbed turkish trucks loaded with unsecured coils and metal bars driving by