Trucking the Middle (gasp) East?

Nothing in this forum about driving UK to the Middle East? I am an old ■■■■, American OTR driver and you can take my word for it that driving the contiguous 48 states can get boring fast. (Plus our pay-by-mile joke). I will never forget, however, the thrill I got years ago reading Robert Hutchinson’s book: “Danger, Heavy Goods” about a trip through Turkey, Saudi Arabia etc. You Brits have balls. That run would send a Yank jumping right our first lady’s lap. “Mommy! Mommy!” This is my first post here (burp!) after lurking a while, and I am looking fwd to being a member of the best trucking forum on the planet. (The webmaster knows sheheit’s stuff, too)! I drive artics only part-time now, and write about the boogers the rest of the time. Example: “Trucking India” jbaal.com/Cover_Story.aspx.htm
Not a plug. I don’t make more money if nobody reads the thing. But India, whew, didn’t you guys used to own this place? Leave it in a mess, did you? Heh.

Hello john. Welcome to trucknet uk.
If you check out the “old time drivers forum” im sure theres a fair bit on there about the middle eastern runs. I`ve just read the excerpt from “trucking in india” in your profile and its very good.

Hi John,

WELCOME

I didn’t do the M.E. stuff, but I spent about 10 years roaming Europe, and never been to the U.S.
Europe is contiguous, but we aren’t. :wink:
Plus, they speak kinda funny over there. :open_mouth:
They also insist on changing it as you move from country to country, so it gets really confusing. :cry:

As JB said, there’s plenty of pics in the “Old Time” forum and if you have a trawl in the European forum, you’ll find a few more. There’s also the “Where was I” forum where people post some pics of the more obscure places they’ve visited.
Have fun… :wink:

Thanks, guys. I will check out the old timer forum, er, um, the dead-pecker bench? (That’s what we call those benches outside in front of pharmacies here in Florida).

We long-haul drivers over here in the New World (aka: still trying to learn basic stuff) think we are tough, but now that I am finding out what it takes to cross the channel and drive on the right side of the road but speak all the wrong languages, I know you Brits have us beat.

Drivers here all all upset about Mexicans recently authorized to haul in the USA, but looking at what other countries deal with, Mexicans seem like “friendlies” to me!

“Press on regardless!”

Welcome to trucknet John clic on my photo bucket theres a few middle east pictures on it

s144.photobucket.com/albums/r182/klunk-■■■■■■■■

Clic on the above link then clic on Daysons that where the mid east pictures are John
Klunk

John Aalborg:
I will never forget, however, the thrill I got years ago reading Robert Hutchinson’s book: “Danger, Heavy Goods” about a trip through Turkey, Saudi Arabia etc. .

I have a copy in my cab at this very moment. it’s a fascinating read, but if anyone is interested in obtaining it, I’ll just point out that in the UK it was released as “Juggernaut”.

I have the US version, Harry… take it it is the same excellent read?

TheBear:

Yes, I have the US version too (Danger, Heavy Goods)- it’s actually an ex-Canadian library book- and it is apparently the same, although “Danger, Heavy Goods” has obviously been slightly edited for the American market in order to explain things like British currency and other things which would not need explaining to a British reader.

I bought my copy less than a year ago, from a Canadian bookshop, for less than a tenner including airmail. Looking this afternoon, the cheapest copy I could find (which was also ex-library) was £130.

There was another book, called Cola Cowboys, also about the boys doing the Middle East runs.
A copy comes up for sale on e-bay occasionally, they go for rather high prices though.

There’s also a DVD called Destination Doha about a trip by a group of lads going out there for a company called Astrans. The DVD has been transferred from the original video tape, so the quality isn’t fantastic but it’s still well worth watching.

klunk/■■■■■■■■
Welcome to trucknet John clic on my photo bucket theres a few middle east pictures on it

s144.photobucket.com/albums/r182/klunk-■■■■■■■■

Clic on the above link then clic on Daysons that where the mid east pictures are John
Klunk

Awesome collection there! I may be mining you for info later. I have been writing magazine articles about foreign trucking (foreign to Yanks). In the USA, when you get paid by the mile, it’s either get a bite to eat or take photographs, depending on how much money you want to bring back to the wife and kids. (I am a flatbed driver, open trailer, loads you chain down).

Simon:
There was another book, called Cola Cowboys, also about the boys doing the Middle East runs.
A copy comes up for sale on e-bay occasionally, they go for rather high prices though.

There’s also a DVD called Destination Doha about a trip by a group of lads going out there for a company called Astrans. The DVD has been transferred from the original video tape, so the quality isn’t fantastic but it’s still well worth watching.

I will do a search for those items, and the tip is much appreciated. You would think that the general public would be interested in this stuff, which would be a temporary escape from a humdrum, ho-hum life.

Harry Monk:
I have a copy in my cab at this very moment. it’s a fascinating read, but if anyone is interested in obtaining it, I’ll just point out that in the UK it was released as “Juggernaut”.

I am adding that title to my book search.

Harry Monk:

TheBear:

Yes, I have the US version too (Danger, Heavy Goods)- it’s actually an ex-Canadian library book- and it is apparently the same, although “Danger, Heavy Goods” has obviously been “Danger, Heavy Goods”

I bought my copy less than a year ago, from a Canadian bookshop, for less than a tenner including airmail. Looking this afternoon, the cheapest copy I could find (which was also ex-library) was £130.

I found only one here in the USA, for 55 USD and it was reported as worn but readable! I am going to search British bookstores online now. As for that business of editing for the American market, methinks cowboys over here need to read the real thing and maybe learn about the differences in other countries? Duh. These past six years especially have made it embarrassing to be American.

I don’t know what happened to my original copy of Hutchinson’s book. I read it over twenty years ago and found it so exciting I quit my day job and went to truck driving school, and began driving artics longhaul in 1988, at age 50! (I am 72 now).

This link will take you to an article from a magazine called Saudi Aramco World.
Despite its name it’s an American mag’, published by the Saudi Aramco oil company, in Texas.

http://www.saudiaramcoworld.com/issue/197706/the.long.route.east.htm
That particular article was published in the Nov/Dec 1977 issue.
Digging out articles you’re particularly interested in is likely to keep you busy for a while. The index goes back to the Jan/Feb 1960 issue :open_mouth: :smiley: :smiley: .

Clicking on the “Back To The Table Of Contents” link near the top of that page will take you to a page with related links, just to get you started :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

This link will take you to an article from a magazine called Saudi Aramco World.
Despite its name it’s an American mag’, published by the Saudi Aramco oil company, in Texas.
saudiaramcoworld.com/issue/1 … e.east.htm
That particular article was published in the Nov/Dec 1977 issue.

Thanks much! Exciting stuff to me. Just read the article, and as it mentions, driving coast-to-coat in the USA is a piece of cake in comparison.

Digging out articles you’re particularly interested in is likely to keep you busy for a while. The index goes back to the Jan/Feb 1960 issue. Clicking on the “Back To The Table Of Contents” link near the top of that page will take you to a page with related links, just to get you started.

Oh, yeah, ha ha, and the wife may find me one day here at the computer dead as a door-knob, er, ummm, you guys use levers on your doors methinks. Why English dons wear jackets with patched elbows? :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks for all the info, and I have saved to my HDD the pages you all have pointed me to. It seems everyone here in the USA thinks this is the place on the planet to be, but since I found the TNUK forums, and as a longhaul truck driver (semi-retired), I realize how lucky you mates are to be where you are. More interesting, intelligent, and civilized. I’d have to give up my handgun to be driving in the UK, though, and maybe have a youf teach me how to use a baseball bat? :smiling_imp:

John Aalborg:
I’d have to give up my handgun to be driving in the UK, though, and maybe have a youf teach me how to use a baseball bat? :smiling_imp:

I’m sure a man of your heritage will be perfectly capable of wielding a baseball bat effectively, without needing a ‘youf’ to teach you :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing:
One rule you need to be aware of though. We aren’t allowed to carry a weapon of any sort, not even for self defence. However, a piece of sports equipment or tool of the trade which won’t go in a tool bin so is stored behind the drivers seat is perfectly acceptable.
If you carry some ‘useful’ sports equipment, you have to be able to use it for it’s intended use. So carrying just a baseball bat would not be acceptable. You must have a ball and glove too. :unamused: :laughing:

I’m sure a man of your heritage will be perfectly capable of wielding a baseball bat effectively, without needing a ‘youf’ to teach you.

Ha ha, but I am getting old, aka “ancient” and in a few more years a ball-bat will weigh more than I do. :cry:

One rule you need to be aware of though. We aren’t allowed to carry a weapon of any sort, not even for self defence. However, a piece of sports equipment or tool of the trade which won’t go in a tool bin so is stored behind the drivers seat is perfectly acceptable.

I am a flatbed driver and we use a long, steel tool we call a cheater for extra leverage on the strap and chain ratchets. Here is a photo of my old lady with a cheater in hand.Her handle, BTW, is “Cheater”. Will that do you think? :wink:

If you carry some ‘useful’ sports equipment, you have to be able to use it for it’s intended use. So carrying just a baseball bat would not be acceptable. You must have a ball and glove too.

I am still laughing. Thanks for the happiness! PS: I see from your signature logo/avatar that you swing a mean smacker yourself! Here we call that a sap or a black-jack.

Re this business about Americans and guns: personal attacks are more frequent in the states which have strict gun control. I also notice that gun use by criminals in Canada and the UK is becoming more frequent. But that is a different subject. ATB to you and that thing you are bashing your computer with! :open_mouth:

I am not a truck driver my self, but I am a truck mechanic. You guys have it easy, some of my customers drive to Russia and Kazakhstan. And they got mugged, beaten and stuck in places I did not think existed. There are no roads in Kazakhstan, they bring me pictures and videos to see it because I wouldn’t believe. I also have customer that drive to Iraq (supplies for the Americans) and I have seen the holes from the shooting down there on the trucks. And my neighbor, years a go, drove horses to Sicilia (Italy). They stole the horses, they stole the truck and ones he got shot in the leg by the Mafia.

Hola, Davor!
Croatia… I have seen many fotos on TV of your beautiful country.

You guys have it easy, some of my customers drive to Russia and Kazakhstan. And they got mugged, beaten and stuck in places I did not think existed.

I am wondering about long-haul that far east. When crossing borders do they check to make sure the driver does not keep a gun handy? I know now that in the UK and EU no weapons are allowed on the truck, er, lorry, but outside the EU things seem to be more loose and lawless. Here in the USA, when running out of legal hours at night and needing to park in a lawless area (like some docks in New Orleans) if a driver who packs a hand-gun sees an empty lot or yard he can park and take a nap until the dock opens in the morning. When other drivers see an artic parked there they assume the first bloke is packing and will pull their rigs alongside. By dawn there may be ten or more rigs parked side-by-side, but it usually takes an armed driver to be the first.
I looked at your good website. Do you have a photo of your shop taken from farther back? Your street?
ATB,

It is not allowed to take hand guns across the border. But I have seen knives, bats and sprays.
My shop is not much to look at, we are a small family trade (my father and me). It is a small town called Daruvar. You can find it on Wikipedia, and you can visit the official web site of the town. The web site is in Croatian, but on the right side is written INFO and under it you click on GALERIJA there are pictures. www.daruvar.hr
I will take some pictures my self, more private stuff that is not on the web site and send it to you on your e-mail.
I would like to see where you live, you can e-mail me or direct me somewhere.
It does not say it on Wikipedia but the brewery in my town is the oldest one in Croatia.