Trucking Reality check NOOBS

I have had to rethink my career path. Started on class 2 last Wednesday. Started at 0645 and finished at 14.45. Then started at 02.30 and finished at 17.00. Started at 03.00 finished at 15.30. Then started at 06.30 and finished at 06.30.

I did not want more than 10 hrs per day and i was led to believe that this was possible. I am told that the hours are due to the xmas period. Alas i had to quit the job as it was too much for the family. They are also expecting night outs… Not what i wanted but i agreed to one per week. They now want at least 2 per week.

I never know my start times until late evening and never know where i am going. All in all a nightmare so noobs beware. There is lots of work to be had but all long hours

It’s not all this way. You’ve made a very rash decision if you’ve given up on driving after one company that you didn’t suit or didn’t suit you.

Perhaps you could try getting on with a firm in a slightly different line (I assume from your content you were on for a multi drop firm).

Something like plant transport or even tippers would probably suit you better. Regular hours and few nights out.

I wouldn’t throw your toys out your pram just yet. The great thing about HGV in my opinion is the variety I’m sure there’s something out there that will fit you better than what you were at.

Cheers

TT

The irony of this post being that the OP’s signature is, ‘Just get on with it and please STOP whining’.

Take your own advice maybe?

I waned to put that but thought I’d be constructive.

Perhaps driving for a builders merchants, skip company or bin collections would suit better?

I just did not realise the hours was so long. I loved the job but it did not fit in with family life. I cant have it both ways. I am not giving up. I just wanted noobs to be aware of this thats all. This is usual for the build to xmas so i am told. Just was not ready for.

One more bit of advice noobs GET a truck nav with heights and weights

When you start a post with “I’ve had to rethink my career path” you can understand why people think you’ve given up.

Stop whining and get on skips or something like it.

Tipper Tom:
When you start a post with “I’ve had to rethink my career path” you can understand why people think you’ve given up.

Stop whining and get on skips or something like it.

hang on, what happened to constructive :laughing:

It cant all be carrot, there has to be some stick

ok so i gets on the internet and called an agency who are offering 40 hour weeks. 10 hours 4 days per week mon to friday so i applied and have had a phone call already and things look nice again. Lets wait and see what happens.

Its £9ph not £7.25 and operates the east midlands instead of nation wide. This is what i am after. :smiley:

My job sounds pretty much the same as yours bud.

Is it Monday-Friday?

I spend my week driving 7.5’s and class 2’s, whilst I have a class 1 licence going to waste.

I don’t mind nights out, just can’t stand the thought of going to work for someone like Stobarts and having to work weekends.

Think you’re best off leaving the industry pal. No offence, but you need a thick skin and a can do attitude if you want to be a good driver. Nothing’s personal, that’s just haulage. You show me a boss who sees drivers hours as a guideline and not a deadline, and I’ll show you a liar

DWYNE:
ok so i gets on the internet and called an agency who are offering 40 hour weeks. 10 hours 4 days per week mon to friday

Mon to Fri is 5 days. Typical agency bullshine? :wink:

MikeCunn:

DWYNE:
ok so i gets on the internet and called an agency who are offering 40 hour weeks. 10 hours 4 days per week mon to friday

Mon to Fri is 5 days. Typical agency bullshine? :wink:

That might not be agency bull because the biffa bin guys around here do 4x10s from agency as there are only collections mon to thu

Agency job sounds great. And the best thing is they won’t let you down, cancel a shift you have set off to, ring you at the weekend desperate for a driver, ask if you’d do them a favour and do this job 50 miles away, and they’ll have plenty work all year round, if they ring. Good luck with that.

I have had to rethink my career path. Started on class 2 last Wednesday. Started at 0645 and finished at 14.45. Then started at 02.30 and finished at 17.00. Started at 03.00 finished at 15.30. Then started at 06.30 and finished at 06.30.

Have you opted out of WTD?. As a night worker ie start or finish of shift between 23:00 and 04:00 you can only work 10 hours plus break. So technically you are running bent me thinks ( please correct me if I’m wrong ). :confused:

ROG:
the biffa bin guys around here do 4x10s from agency as there are only collections mon to thu

Exactly. Mon-Thurs is 4 days. Mon to Fri is 5, that’s my point.

optidrive:
As a night worker ie start or finish of shift between 23:00 and 04:00 you can only work 10 hours plus break. So technically you are running bent me thinks ( please correct me if I’m wrong ). :confused:

10 hours working time, not duty time.

optidrive:

Have you opted out of WTD?. As a night worker ie start or finish of shift between 23:00 and 04:00 you can only work 10 hours plus break. So technically you are running bent me thinks ( please correct me if I’m wrong ). :confused:

You’re wrong… It’s 10 hrs + all breaks and POA. So if he’s had 4.5hrs of breaks and POA then he’s legal :wink:

Not a shift pattern I’d want to do though tbh.

FFS, someone else getting a licence with their eyes wide shut.

You can’t really plan on anything doing this job, anything can happen, breakdowns, traffic etc. If you want a regular start/finish time then you’re in the wrong job.