Trucking in the snow

Here’s the thing I’ve been driving cars for 40 years and many times in the snow, somehow I have always missed on having to drive a truck in the snow…I work in the south mostly …where it looks as if there’s going to be quite a bit of snow at 6 o’clock tomorrow.

Anyone got some sensible tips about driving a truck on snow covered B roads and rural lanes ■■

Depending on level of snow DON’T!as it’s not coming in till morning the nigh is going to be cold and ground frozen and icy already
But its up to you
I wont as I don’t have the Artic experience to do it

Heisenberrg:
Here’s the thing I’ve been driving cars for 40 years and many times in the snow, somehow I have always missed on having to drive a truck in the snow…I work in the south mostly …where it looks as if there’s going to be quite a bit of snow at 6 o’clock tomorrow.

Anyone got some sensible tips about driving a truck on snow covered B roads and rural lanes ■■

, personally I would avoid exhaust / retarder brake as much as you can , specially going around corner , make sure you dis activated the button in dash that do the Auto option when you press brake pedal , when slowing down if you feel that tractor unit want to jackknife , 2 options , if you have space ahead smash throttle to correct effect , if you really have to stop , avoid continuous braking , just use an “intermittent “ brake style , this in a way slightly help trailer brake more than unit , don’t do or let an Auto box do arch gear down drops too ,all in one , acceleration you fine , it’s when “braking” that things can go wrong , always remember trailer need to brake even or more than unit , never the other way around ! In some extreme cases ABS trailer suzie should be disconnected to help the intermittent braking going downhills or to stop in the shortest distance possible . Hope this helps [emoji846]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lappland life 221.jpgIf it’s like this,stay at home.

hutpik:
If it’s like this,stay at home.

More like this :laughing: :laughing:

r-POWDERED-SUGAR-403xFB.jpg

As its england no one will be prepared.

In europe everyone has m&s tyres and normally atleast one set of chains and just cracks on.

Why is it england is one of, or if not the only land in europe which doesnt stipulate winter tyres on ermm winter.

Because the winter usually only lasts for about a week so England just stops for a week. :slight_smile: We have had snow from October and it will continue through till April\May. :open_mouth:

PRT RaCeR:

Heisenberrg:

, personally I would avoid exhaust / retarder brake as much as you can , specially going around corner , make sure you dis activated the button in dash that do the Auto option when you press brake pedal , when slowing down if you feel that tractor unit want to jackknife , 2 options , if you have space ahead smash throttle to correct effect , if you really have to stop , avoid continuous braking , just use an “intermittent “ brake style , this in a way slightly help trailer brake more than unit , don’t do or let an Auto box do arch gear down drops too ,all in one , acceleration you fine , it’s when “braking” that things can go wrong , always remember trailer need to brake even or more than unit , never the other way around ! In some extreme cases ABS trailer suzie should be disconnected to help the intermittent braking going downhills or to stop in the shortest distance possible . Hope this helps [emoji846]

Where do we start with this?
Dont brake or accelerate when on a corner at all. Dont “smash throttle” at any time.
Don`t disconnect a device designed to stop skids.

From my own limited experience of snow driving, just go slow, steady, avoid any sudden changes of speed or direction. If you feel it slipping in spite of this its time to park up and have a brew. As Hutpik says its the UK: give it five minutes and it`ll thaw out anyway.

Heisenberrg:

You don’t look well…have you got a bit of a temperature? A few days in bed for you my man…don’t want to be spreading all those nasty bugs to the rest of your colleagues! :grimacing:

Take the manual option and use a high gear with low revs. Plan your journey to try and avoid tricky hills. Try to keep plenty of weight over the drive axle. Do not use retarders/exhaust brakes especially when empty. Keep everything smooth as silk, no harsh acceleration or braking. Take it slow,slow,slow going down hills with little touches on the brakes regularly if necessary. Make sure your lights are kept clean. Pull over and park up if you think it’s too risky to continue, that’s YOUR call not some pointy shoe ■■■■ in the office!

Franglais:

PRT RaCeR:

Heisenberrg:

Where do we start with this?
Dont brake or accelerate when on a corner at all. Dont “smash throttle” at any time.
Don`t disconnect a device designed to stop skids.

From my own limited experience of snow driving, just go slow, steady, avoid any sudden changes of speed or direction. If you feel it slipping in spite of this its time to park up and have a brew. As Hutpik says its the UK: give it five minutes and it`ll thaw out anyway.

well my Post was with intention to help due to experience, clearly you have read the HGV instructor booklet fully … despite I see you miles far from advanced type driving… I must agree with one thing , the safest option is don’t drive at all, take a day off , simples !

TiredAndEmotional:

Heisenberrg:

You don’t look well…have you got a bit of a temperature? A few days in bed for you my man…don’t want to be spreading all those nasty bugs to the rest of your colleagues! :grimacing:

Last time we had proper snow I got a few shifts because the whole depot ‘wimped out’

I’d only been driving an artic for two weeks when the snow fell in Holland one night. The truck was all over the place on the country roads, threatening to send me into the water filled dykes on either side. Took me thirty minutes to even get on a bay with the tyres spinning. That shift scared me to death. Luckily the snow thawed before I had to drive again. Not looking forward to a repeat of that.

TiredAndEmotional:
Take the manual option and use a high gear with low revs. Plan your journey to try and avoid tricky hills. Try to keep plenty of weight over the drive axle. Do not use retarders/exhaust brakes especially when empty. Keep everything smooth as silk, no harsh acceleration or braking. Take it slow,slow,slow going down hills with little touches on the brakes regularly if necessary. Make sure your lights are kept clean. Pull over and park up if you think it’s too risky to continue, that’s YOUR call not some pointy shoe [zb] in the office!

^^^^ This was my approach once upon a time - trouble is now - the bean counters have specc’ed trucks with the stupid electric park brake ( so no trailer brake) and disabled the override on the silly autobox :unamused:

Toddy2:

TiredAndEmotional:
Take the manual option and use a high gear with low revs. Plan your journey to try and avoid tricky hills. Try to keep plenty of weight over the drive axle. Do not use retarders/exhaust brakes especially when empty. Keep everything smooth as silk, no harsh acceleration or braking. Take it slow,slow,slow going down hills with little touches on the brakes regularly if necessary. Make sure your lights are kept clean. Pull over and park up if you think it’s too risky to continue, that’s YOUR call not some pointy shoe [zb] in the office!

^^^^ This was my approach once upon a time - trouble is now - the bean counters have specc’ed trucks with the stupid electric park brake ( so no trailer brake) and disabled the override on the silly autobox :unamused:

No manual option? :open_mouth:

TiredAndEmotional:

Not uncommon at all these days. Our units (all MAN) only allow the driver to override for a few seconds by using the stalk, then it reverts back to full Auto mode.

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

TiredAndEmotional:

Toddy2:

TiredAndEmotional:

I’ve drove some silly 16/17 DAFs with Auto box that WONT let you use “manual” option , you can change to manual BUT as soon as you lift off throttle for any reason it will go auto again and gear up , its utter rubbish…

What is it about exhaust brakes that causes an issue?

Shandy123:
What is it about exhaust brakes that causes an issue?

They only act on the drive axle. In anything other than a totally straight line, the (unbraked) trailer tries to push the rear of the unit sideways, leading to potential jacknife.

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

Concretejim:
As its england no one will be prepared.

In europe everyone has m&s tyres and normally atleast one set of chains and just cracks on.

Why is it england is one of, or if not the only land in europe which doesnt stipulate winter tyres on ermm winter.

In places where they expect loads of snow and low temperatures, they’re prepared, becasue it’s normal, I’ve been in parts of France when it’s snowed and they all started to act the same as the British.

Contrary to common belief winter tyres aren’t just for snow, however they are designed to operate at their best at below 7 degrees Celsius, over those temperatures normal tyres will out perform the winter tyres, especially when braking.

So really to get the benefit from them you need to be doing high mileage to get the benefit of the tyres before the rubber is past it’s best, about 5 years, or living in the parts of the UK where they regularly get lower temperatures and for longer periods.