Trucking in the late eighties and early nineties

Just looking back again at some of these pics, and remembering how much I loved that job…and I realised that I almost certainly will never do it again. That’s a real kick in the realities :frowning:

Gaz Hunter:

Cabcurtains:
I read the book on hols this year, it made me laugh. :laughing:

I’m pleased…I was worried about how it would be received. Glad you liked it :slight_smile:

Its a good read, happy and sad stories, the one with the chap mistaking the other chap for a “lady” was good, i wonder how many folks on here at the same experience :open_mouth: not that any of them would fess up :laughing:

To be honest, under the street lights of the Via De Las Ramblas, she was very attractive, even if you’ve only had water to drink…as I’m sure many people here will admit…second-hand, of course :smiling_imp:

Lawrence Dunbar:

I miss the life of the trucker no end…but I really don’t miss having to strip and rebuild tilts :slight_smile:

Gaz Hunter:

Slope:

Hi Gaz, when were you on the Godollo run ? This pic was taken when i’d returned from there. Only did that run twice in 97.

Oooh…this was for about a year in the mid nineties. I gave it up when I started getting turned round at Geiselwind truckstop, and the job went from one week to several periods of 2 or 3 months…in actual fact I gave up on the day I came home and discovered my “Better Half” doing to my best friend what GBE did to my social life…

Sounds about right for them. I was supposed to be on the Paris trunk and was taken off that to do the Hungary run. Wasn’t that straight forward though. Had to call into Bournemouth first to collect some more UTA stuff. Turns out it wasn’t UTA goods at all, just general groupage that they wanted me to deliver on my way :unamused:

Gaz Hunter:
To be honest, under the street lights of the Via De Las Ramblas, she was very attractive, even if you’ve only had water to drink…as I’m sure many people here will admit…second-hand, of course :smiling_imp:

yeah my mate told me that too :blush: :blush:

A few of mine from the era

Gaz Hunter:
Just looking back again at some of these pics, and remembering how much I loved that job…and I realised that I almost certainly will never do it again. That’s a real kick in the realities :frowning:

Same here. Funnily enough I did a bit for a GBE subbie out of Le Havre, it wasn’t bad work. Only did France though. I recall once having to nip solo down to Brittany to collect an “urgent” trailer for a guy who’d broken down. I didn’t take too much notice of the paperwork, I just knew it was foundry castings to go from the factory in Brittany to Spain via Le Havre on the piggy-back freight train. I was only 46 tonnes!! I thought the motor was sluggish!

Regards,

Mark.

Uddingston Brick Yard ready to go Loaded for Felling.

used to see a lot of GBE lorrys all over europe one i used to see regular and had a few beers with was a guy called peter dont know his second name but he had worked for GBE for quite a while early 90,s, we pulled for scottish express and frans maas.

mark

scan0034.jpg

scan0031.jpg

I hope this wasnt the demise of your Troner Gaz?

What a mess what happened there Gazzer was the driver ok ?

gazzer:
I hope this wasnt the demise of your Troner Gaz?

I dont know swtrky, it was a photo given to me by John Eaton to post on here, no other info. I was looking for a GBE thread but cant find it.

Nigel ready to role.

Okay…here are some of my trucking photos to go with the book Trucking Hell :slight_smile:

Long before my time with GBE I was running across the continent in an F6 Daycab. Here I am in Fords at Saarlois, the picture having been taken by Paul Ashwell, the driver locked up in Greece over the SuperGun affair:

And here is me, totally unaware that I was about to be gassed to the point of needing resuscitation that very night:

Graduated then to an Iveco…here shown parked in Matosinhos, outside Porto in Portugal, in July, parked as usual at the Atlantica Bar:

And a week later, same location, at night:

And me getting all David Bailey in Swizerland:

Here is my first truck with GBE, one that Bob Cox loved, and hung on to when it was well past its sell-by date. I spend many weeks and months trolling over the UK and north Europe in this clunker…in spite of what you may see, it didn’t actually have a passenger seat…

From then I moved to a Pegaso.

Here is “my” Pegaso Troner, H180 KFA just outside Perpignan, loading licorice sticks. Lovely smell there.

And on the dock:

I think this was the rear of the Bordeaux depot, or possibly Paris GBE, perhaps someone can tell me?

From then to regular Hungary work, to UTA Godollo, in a left-■■■■■■ Magnum:

No! Wait, sorry, that’s the cab of a Liaz I was asked to move from the dock to put my truck on…here at Godollo:

And here at the border with Austria, Mosonmagyaróvár, and a bit of communal Café Camion with a Caledonia driver.

I stopped for a long weekend over Easter at the Geiselwind truck stop, and had the great good fortune to be there at the same time as a large truck show:

Great days indeed. I do miss them

I worked for Great Bear at Newton we worked for Lever Bros and took in a lot of trucks from Europe, this arrived at there Runcorn Site and as with anything that was a problem they would send over to Newton don,t ask why they couldn,t unload it it was only the roof that was missing. The wind had got under it and done the damage you see