Trucking in Oz

I’m currently doing my Cat C and with a bit of luck I’ll have my C + E by Christmas. Any way next year during May and June I’m going to Oz, some where near Brisbane I believe and if I like it I’m toying with moving there several years down the line.

What would I need to do to transfer my trucking to Oz?

Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Sax

Your UK truck licence will be recognised to some degree but it’s not a simply swap over for an aussie one. If you have the C+E they will allow you to go straight to the training for the aussie equivalent (HC). Normally you have to have held the aussie rigid licence (HR) for a year before allowing you to start training for the HC but as you have a UK semi licence you can skip this.

Go to your local Queensland Transport dept, and they will issue you an aussie car licence. You can then take HC lessons. I done mine on the Gold Coast, about an hour south of Brisbane, with The Driving School. Lessons were about $130 p/hour. You can opt for one of three types of licence:
Auto only, Syncro or Road Ranger. The Road Ranger is the best option for chances of getting work but you have to do the lessons/test in a truck with a Road Ranger gearbox which can be interesting :laughing: .

Once you have passed you get your new HC licence issued to you at straight away at the test centre. You can also then purchase a Drivers Log Book for keeping track of you drivers hours, these cost about $20, and are only needed when driving I think more than 100 or 200km from base.

Truck driving I believe isn’t on the skills shortage list so not sure how you could move here permanently unless you have relatives/using a partners job if thats on the skills shortages list.

Good luck Sax. :grimacing:

The next step up would be the MC (multi-combination) license and I agree that it’s best to go for it with “Road Ranger”… A crash box isn’t that hard once you’ve got the feel of it, and as Chopsticks mentioned, better chance of finding work as it covers you for everything. Trucking isn’t on the immigration shortlist but there’s always other options. Many people take the back door route via New Zealand or there are other jobs out there that may involve driving. Western Australia in particular has many opportunities for mine workers etc. but competition for these positions is usually quite fierce.

the back door route via new zealand is not that easy. you must be a nz resident 5 years before you can move over.

I have relatives who have been there many years. Plus with some luck my family might make the move too so I could go with them but it seams I might need to speak to an expert as far as the emmigration is concerned.