TRUCKIN IN THE 80's (International)

Hi All,Thanks for the info on EBT i now remember Hammond’s doing it, i have never seen the volvo or the erf i will keep a look out for some pics on my travels. Anyboby got any pics of the Ashby trucks? Paul.

truckerash:

dieseldog6:
Just been all the way though and can’t find any Bowlers, sure you not getting them mixed up with Bowkers , Ash?

Ooops :blush: could have sworn ive posted this pic already, but hey doesnt matter and anyway, it meant you had to go all the way through looking for it :laughing: What a shame…bet you enjoyed it though :wink:

here ya go then: a couple of BOWLERS

If it means anything to anyone, it says MUNGO BABY on the grille.

MUNGO BABY was bobby scotts volvo,when bowler sold it bobby left the company,i dont know why he called it that,maybe ill ask him when i see him at the christmas drink up.

Do you remember the BRS marathons that use to run Iran, had the larger cab on them.

Any Pics of them Ash?
Thank god that people like you ued to carry a camara.

Ray.

Sugar Ray:
Do you remember the BRS marathons that use to run Iran, had the larger cab on them.

Any Pics of them Ash?

Ray.

I mentioned in an earlier thread that Brit European had one Marathon intended for M/E work,but on it’s first run it virtually fell apart.It never went further than France after that!

Sugar Ray:

Any Pics of them Ash?

Ray.

The first left ■■■■■■ I drove was an ex BRS Overland split windscreen Marathon with kitchen pack and swiveling passenger seat with a TL12 engine, it pulled well (for it’s day) but rattled like a bugger and shook something off every couple of hunded miles.

A friend of mine has a RHD Marathon 2 long sleeper with 350 ■■■■■■■ which he takes to shows, looks good but what a ride, I’d forgotten how bad they were. :confused:

Ross. :sunglasses:

Sugar Ray:

Any Pics of them Ash?

Ray.

Here you go Sugar Ray, this is scanned from the BRS book

My god, that brings back some memorys, the only thing worse than the ride was the looks of pitty from other UK drivers and the puzzled looks from none UK drivers.

Many of the memories are very happy ones though, ‘Kysor’ air conditioning when hardly anyone else had the now standard air-con.

Thanks for the pic, I’ll have to dig out, scan and post some of mine from the 70’s.

Ross. :unamused:

who remembers a line-up of brs trucks at the salzburg border stopped by austrian customs,owing to lack of authentic permits,they were all pulling for a certain notorious character from camberley who supplied all paperwork. they were there as i was on my way home and still there when i came back a week later.this would be about 1975/76, i would not be surprised if some of those trucks joined the dumped motors on the ruma or the national,at one point there were 5 abandoned on the national carpark. the georges were getting upset with us.

Had an Eyeball on :unamused: Truckerash Today - He sends his apologies but his PC (which was also from the 80’s) :wink: has finally given up the ghost, He has got it over the pit for a rebuild and is hoping to be back on channel by the weekend, and assures me he has plenty more to offer!! :smiley:

And sends Hugs and kisses :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush:

Truckerash Get well soon.

he will be a legend…

comes on here creates the thread of the decade then… never to be heard of again.

Hi All,Don’t worry about trucker ash i know where he lives! i will be banging on his door if he disappears of the web page.Paul

postman paul:
Hi All,Thanks for the info on EBT i now remember Hammond’s doing it, i have never seen the volvo or the erf i will keep a look out for some pics on my travels. Anyboby got any pics of the Ashby trucks? Paul.

George Hammond and Son was EBT at Dover who had a link with Smidts of Heilbronn. Big Ron the marine (Royal) :stuck_out_tongue: drove for them

I worked alongside Chris Teaner (Selby) when he was on for Coulier, (Now Samat)

Any idea what happened to Ronnie…? Last saw him at that big truckstop near Poitiers/Angueleme. Ratted ,as usual.

found these… courtesy or Euro-Wheels.com, some great pics of 70s/80s/90s trucks there, I thought it would be appropriate for this topic

harry:
Any idea what happened to Ronnie…? Last saw him at that big truckstop near Poitiers/Angueleme. Ratted ,as usual.

ronnie mantini drunk? i find that hard to believe.

nianiamh,

Thanks for posting that, i used to see them on a regular basis, spent many a night with some of the drivers in various drinking dens in Belgium.

Supercube, that dodgy geezer from Camberly would not have been a certain J B^&*"$ would it?

Ray.

Sugar Ray:
nianiamh,

Thanks for posting that, i used to see them on a regular basis, spent many a night with some of the drivers in various drinking dens in Belgium.

Supercube, that dodgy geezer from Camberly would not have been a certain J B^&*"$ would it?

Ray.

you got it.

A couple to bring this back from page four both on ME work I believe, Buzzer

90257068_1047362698982617_8010879623615217664_n.jpg

Routier

I think the guy who drove that Noel Zwecker F12 was called Bernie, I always used to see him at Clauds, St Genis.He was a bloke of about 30 stone !!