Truckers TV series mid to late 80s

Was the actor called Claude Akins, or something similar?

240 Gardner:

Big Gaz:
i remember this being on tv…think cowboy drove a goldie looking MACK maybe wrong…only episode i can remember is the one with a boat on the back of a trailer getting stuck under a bridge…and that dirty greasy mechanic in it…cant think of his nickname in it now…i also remember it was filmed nr a major trunk route …

Filmed in a yard at Clock Face, right by the side of the M62. 1987, I think. The Mack belonged to an O’/D who lived in Darwen - he ran it for a while after, complete with horns on the front, and a BBC-TV sticker in the windscreen

Would that have been suttons yard at clockface st helens?

Mark R.You certainly know your stuff.Yes it was Claude Atkins. And the two guys were Sonny and Will. 10 out of 10 my Boy. Many thanks.

I think his name was Akins not Atkins,although it was a long time ago!!I,remember they had a green Kenworh.

Sorry Mark R It was Akins. It might have been a long time ago for you.but like yesterday for me.Funny series.Always seemed to be running around empty and helping people out for nothing.Where did they get their money from?

Mark R:
I think his name was Akins not Atkins,although it was a long time ago!!I,remember they had a green Kenworh.

Claude Akins was best known for his cowboy films.

dafdave:

No, it’s the yard on the left of the westbound carriageway of the M62 between Burtonwood services and the first St Helens exit, I think it’s run by A+M Commercials at the moment, a couple of Irish operators have been based there but I don’t think any hauliers are operating from there now.

Ross.

bigr250:

dafdave:

No, it’s the yard on the left of the westbound carriageway of the M62 between Burtonwood services and the first St Helens exit, I think it’s run by A+M Commercials at the moment, a couple of Irish operators have been based there but I don’t think any hauliers are operating from there now.

Ross.

I think an Irish operator was using it at the time. At least the fleet motors were believable in the series - bog standard ERFs! Even if not much else was…

charlie one:
What about “Movin On” Just had a senior moment Forgotten the actors name.Well known. ■■■■.I’m going to post it anyway

Talking of senior moments, when I read this I thought you were talking about the series with Martin Shaw and Bob Hoskins (before they became household names) who worked as delivery men in a series about teaching people to read. Then I remembered it was called “On the Move”.

Dogfood Dan & The Carmarthen Cowboy was a play about 2 trunkers from S.Wales & Hull who met at their crossover point, The Coronation Cafe, just down the road from The Hollies little realising that each was knocking the others’ wife off on their nights out.

Claude Akins was the bloke that always reminded me of Charlie Bronson.

The Brothers used HTS (Hilton Transport Services) logo for their Hammond Transport operation and are famous for having a hi-jacked load from a 32 tonner carted away in a ■■■■■■ van. :unamused:

Cannonball was a favourite of mine because it was before I knew very much about road transport and I was able to be impressed by those 2 characters rabbiting away in the studio mock up of that old Jimmy cab just before the day’s fantastic adventure took off. The off-sider used to lodge with Mike Malone and was going out with his daughter.

If Bill Kelly is the Jock Kelly I knew you ain’t kidding about his character. When I was on Shaw’s he and I took 2 loads of Raleigh bikes down to London docks for Midlands Storage. He worked for them at the time with a Leyland 4 wheeler and I had a 4 wheel Albion. I helped him off in a howling gale with the enormous sheets on his load but when my turn came Jock was nowhere to be seen :smiling_imp: .
I later saw him with a very dodgy motor of his own, but can’t remember what it was or what he was doing.

Few months now since I posted this, anyone had any luck finding it? Or anyone whose not seen the post before know where I can get hold of it? Ive drawn a blank, keep searching ebay etc.

I remember Truckers

Had that fella ‘haszledean’ or somthing like that in it, he went on the play ‘bayleaf’ in london’s burning, the only other charactor i can remeber (and he’s been in loads of things) was the guy speaking in an American accent but was from Southend-on-Sea.

Remember, “answer the bloody phone Mandy”…“I’m on me bloody break”

And the rotten onions episode when two of the Truckers decided to go on their own

The best bet is to contact the BBC archive centre, maybe they will be able to help, seems like you can get pretty much all the stuff they’ve done over the years out on DVD now days

Truckers was filmed in Derry Bros yard somewhere nr warrington but nearer somewhere else :laughing:
imdb.com/title/tt0272416/

imdb is great for all things video wise

one of the mercedes cabs sat in a fieldby the M62 for a long time after the series ended.
iirc on the left before the services nr warrington travelling eastbound.

Derry Bros yard is/was at Bold, St Helens.

Yeah it was a great program at the time…heres another one for ya…it was imported from America, called…Cannonball…starred a big fat trucker who always got into mischief, and helping people out etc…etc…the prog started with a song that went something like…driving down the highway, doin 95…la la la.
cannonbaaal…well you get my drift dont ya.

You old bugger!! :laughing: …my granny told me about that prog and I’m 62. :laughing: :laughing:

Anyone remember BJ & the Bear?

“rollin’ down to Dallas, wheels provide my palace…lalalalalalala”

i remember bj and the bear :wink:

"the rumble of the diesel, the shifting of the gear, the rythm when he’s rolling is music to his ears, cannonbaaaall! :laughing: