Truckers sat nav suggestions

jbaz73:
ahh the memories! :slight_smile: last time i drove i was carting around a holdall with a to zs of virtually every town and city in the uk.

its much better now, all i need carry is a little lightweight box (well i do have a truckers atlas)

i use that and google maps, or if I use a sat nav, its a tomtom i got from halfords for 70 quid. i opted for that because if there is any issues it is easy to pop into my local shop, not something you can do with ebay.

i dont see any problems using a car sat nav. you have to use your eyes and brain to look for road signs… but thats why they put them there. when i route my journey i look at the atlas and keep to the main roads as much as possible.

if Oxford county council get their way and we are all forced to use a hgv sat nav, i will invest in one of the cheapy ebay ones, i will be dammed if i would fork out 300 quid for a sat nav!

Yes exactly mate I couldn’t bare myself to part with such money :stuck_out_tongue: you have your eyes a truckers atlas what more do you need and I have just invested in a dash cam because of the amount of morons on the road :slight_smile:

I brought a cheap sat nav of eBay about a year ago when i first passed class 2 for around £35 its been great needs resetting every now and then but for 35 pound you cant gey better value imo i dont mind buying a new one every year if i have to rather than fork out 300 in one lump

3stepsaheaduk:
I brought a cheap sat nav of eBay about a year ago when i first passed class 2 for around £35 its been great needs resetting every now and then but for 35 pound you cant gey better value imo i dont mind buying a new one every year if i have to rather than fork out 300 in one lump

That was exactly my thought if I buy this one for 70 and it last a year or two and I have to get another one so what ive had good use out of it lol

One problem i had was the holder broke but i found a suitable phone holder on Ebay for £2 that does the job even better

ash 001:
just invested in a dash cam because of the amount of morons on the road :slight_smile:

Which one did you get? How much was it? Any good?

TheTrogFather:

ash 001:
just invested in a dash cam because of the amount of morons on the road :slight_smile:

Which one did you get? How much was it? Any good?

Current thread on the main forum about them pal

ash 001:
Yes exactly mate I couldn’t bare myself to part with such money :stuck_out_tongue: you have your eyes a truckers atlas what more do you need and I have just invested in a dash cam because of the amount of morons on the road :slight_smile:

So the newbies with a new licence issued in 2015 are buying dash cams to watch each other? I take it eagerbeaver and seth have one too then, are you all filming each other?

Still no job I see Alder. PMSL.(again).

At about 30 quid aponia for your phone is basically disposable it has free updates for maps. Also traffic .

alix776:
At about 30 quid aponia for your phone is basically disposable it has free updates for maps. Also traffic .

Also the product key is good for three devices so you can stick it on the Wifes phone or like me on my phone and on my tablet (it was also half price when I bought it).

I did a side by side comparison with my Aponia on my phone (it’s a chinese smart phone Haier or something) and my tomtom GO510 (yes it still works!)

had them both connected up so my car looked like the Starship Enterprise and set off on a 20 mile round trip.

The tomtom found the satellites first (as i expected due to the quickfix GPS update I did prior to leaving) I’d say it was a good 2 - 3 minutes ahead of my phone
The routing was spot on for both and I’d say the Aponia was a bit better looking graphically but the menu bar is a little cluttered and small on my 5" screened phone
The phone lost the satellites 5 times (cloudy, light rainy day) the tomtom lost signal once.

I will do a side by side of my phone and my Hudl2 tablet (both have Aponia on them thanks to the three device product key) to see if the phone is the issue with the satellites getting dropped so much (I suspect it is tbh)

I don’t really need one with the work I do, but got a cheap one off ebay for 39.99. Does height,weight,length… And even if your carrying hazardous goods you can specify what type.

Can’t complain for the price and a 7" screen… If it went ■■■■ up in a year so what is was 39.99!!

yt03:
I don’t really need one with the work I do, but got a cheap one off ebay for 39.99. Does height,weight,length… Can’t complain for the price and a 7" screen… If it went ■■■■ up in a year so what is was 39.99!!

noza tec? If so they are £35 on ebay now & £41 on Amazon. I’ve looked at these, and as I’d always have a Philips Road atlas at hand, I’m finding it hard to justify £300+ for the dogs nads TomTom, Garmin or Snooper. I’m tempted to by it off Amazon, as the order is fulfilled by them, which to my knowledge means the return is to them if it’s utter crud. But i’m not sure if the full 12 warranty return is through them, probably not…

Reef:

alix776:

Also the product key is good for three devices so you can stick it on the Wifes phone or like me on my phone and on my tablet (it was also half price when I bought it).

I did a side by side comparison with my Aponia on my phone (it’s a chinese smart phone Haier or something) and my tomtom GO510 (yes it still works!)

had them both connected up so my car looked like the Starship Enterprise and set off on a 20 mile round trip.

The tomtom found the satellites first (as i expected due to the quickfix GPS update I did prior to leaving) I’d say it was a good 2 - 3 minutes ahead of my phone
The routing was spot on for both and I’d say the Aponia was a bit better looking graphically but the menu bar is a little cluttered and small on my 5" screened phone
The phone lost the satellites 5 times (cloudy, light rainy day) the tomtom lost signal once.

I will do a side by side of my phone and my Hudl2 tablet (both have Aponia on them thanks to the three device product key) to see if the phone is the issue with the satellites getting dropped so much (I suspect it is tbh)

loosing gps lock is usually a device issue I recently bought a cheep android phone to run copilot truck the phone wouldn’t hold a gps lock anywhere I have it in the dash in an MP2 where as the Nokia 635 is rock solid. All day long running apoina I’ve never yet had issues with the routing.

Evil8Beezle:

yt03:
I don’t really need one with the work I do, but got a cheap one off ebay for 39.99. Does height,weight,length… Can’t complain for the price and a 7" screen… If it went ■■■■ up in a year so what is was 39.99!!

noza tec? If so they are £35 on ebay now & £41 on Amazon. I’ve looked at these, and as I’d always have a Philips Road atlas at hand, I’m finding it hard to justify £300+ for the dogs nads TomTom, Garmin or Snooper. I’m tempted to by it off Amazon, as the order is fulfilled by them, which to my knowledge means the return is to them if it’s utter crud. But i’m not sure if the full 12 warranty return is through them, probably not…

Yeah that’s the one mate but mine was 39.99 lol its a decent bit of kit… You could go through ten and still not spend as much as you can on just one… Like you say if you have a map you can’t go wrong

yt03:

Evil8Beezle:

yt03:

Yeah that’s the one mate but mine was 39.99 lol its a decent bit of kit… You could go through ten and still not spend as much as you can on just one… Like you say if you have a map you can’t go wrong

Cheers, I doubt the build quality is comparable, but as long as it switches on and doesn’t crumble in your hands, you can’t really go wrong for that money… I’ll get it through Amazon, and pay the extra 5 just for the 30 days easy return that Amazon provides.

I’ll be blaming you if it’s crap yt03! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Evil8Beezle:

yt03:

Evil8Beezle:

yt03:

Cheers, I doubt the build quality is comparable, but as long as it switches on and doesn’t crumble in your hands, you can’t really go wrong for that money… I’ll get it through Amazon, and pay the extra 5 just for the 30 days easy return that Amazon provides.

I’ll be blaming you if it’s crap yt03! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
[/quote
quote]
:unamused: don’t expect HD and all that ■■■■■■■■, it’s basic yet it works sound. You can enter which vehicle you are in and it saves all the heights and widths etc… I’m happy with it but then I love my 15yr old wagon I drive haha

alix776:
loosing gps lock is usually a device issue

Yeah it’s what i suspected tbh, looks like I’ll be looking for a new phone soon then.

All i can say about mine is. … Snoopers are great for long distance as it had TV, video and radio but not for making calls as you can’t hear people talk. You also need an external speaker for the entertainment as that can be quiet too. It’s a glorified tv system with a sat nav not the other way round though.

Tried the same journey again but this time using Aponia on my Hudl 2, Took the same (almost to the dot) amount of time to find a GPS lock/fix as Aponia on my phone did however it did not lose the GPS lock once.

So it definitely seems as alix776 said a device issue with my phone.