Truckers diets?

I eat as before but have started walking. As in 30-40 miles a week. And I’ve lost over 2 stone in three months without trying…

Not that I was that big to start with. But I’m a lot better now! :laughing:

Diets don’t work. When you stop it all comes back. Just get out more and exercise, and watch the calories and you’ll be fine!

A good way to make a start is halve everything you normally eat, when your body gets accustomed to that, think about halving the intake again.
Cut out the known ‘baddies’ known for putting weight on, such as fried food , go for grilled instead, ditch chocolate, sweets, biscuits, cakes, boring I know!! :frowning:

Don’t take ‘nibbles’ in the truck with you, take water,

Fizzy drinks and alcohol can lead to weight gain rapidly without you realizing :open_mouth:
As do fast food and ready made meals you buy :confused: Cook your own & keep it interesting but without sauces if possible. Don’t avoid meat , it healthy like anything else in moderation, & if you try to live on lettuce and salads or vegetables diet, you will probably be hungry far faster as they hold a greater water content, & would not satisfy hunger for long.

Try not to eat what you can’t work off, exercise is very beneficial & the more fat that turns to muscle will help to burn the fat faster! , good for you to try and get yourself on track :smiley:

Truckulent:
I eat as before but have started walking. As in 30-40 miles a week. And I’ve lost over 2 stone in three months without trying…

Not that I was that big to start with. But I’m a lot better now! :laughing:

Diets don’t work. When you stop it all comes back. Just get out more and exercise, and watch the calories and you’ll be fine!

Got to agree with this, I had a operation about a year ago and while there a blood test showed I was becoming diabetic. There advice was to change breakfast to fruit & fibre or porridge, if having sarnies for dinner don’t put any spread on bread take fat of meat best to have fish like tuna or sardines and have your evening meal not to late because it just turns to fat.

For exercise they said just walk as much as I could so when having a break I go walking think I do about 25 mile a week and I have lost 2.5 stone but best is dropped 6 inches from waist but still got a bit of a belly but now no sign of becoming diabetic.

Walking is the key… or just eat what you like, just don’t swallow any of it :wink:

I have always been “big boned” :laughing: I’m not the tallest guy you’ll meet so I don’t carry it that well. My job before I started driving just over two year ago was constantly on my feet and working at a hearty pace, this would be my typical tea/breakfast depending on what shift I was on.

Yes both plates were mine and there’s two Gammon Steaks under all that melted cheese and mushrooms :open_mouth:
After a while driving it became apparent that I could no longer eat these kind of meals, so I bought a bike to cycle to work (around 12 miles a day) and started eating slightly healthier

Just the one plate this time, the other is for our lass
Now my lunch for a 12 - 15 hour shift is this ( with plenty of water )

Like Commonrail I too try and eat well in the week but fail at the weekends as this is when I’ve earned treats and beer :grimacing:

Cut out ALL processed food. If it has an ingredients list it’s bad. Bread included give it up you wont miss it after a few days. When you visit the supermarket you only need to go to the fresh fruit and veg aisle, the meat aisle and the fresh fish aisle. Google caveman diet. Only thing I can’t give up is gravy.

thewheel:
Cheers monarch iv already give up on butter only thing in lunch box is 2 ham sarnies banana and maybe a bag of crisp. Dont eat a lot of crap but do have a proper evening meal every day. Never bothered having brekkie. Cycling to and from work is 24miles a week sp o should be off to a good start, saves petrol too!

Turning that round is a good start, good healthy breakfast, scrambled eggs/omelette, lean bacon, tomatoes, porridge, Special K are good examples, followed by 3/4 smaller portion meals throughout the day, don’t cut out carbs, swap them for brown, wholemeal, wholegrain pasta, rice & bread. Try no carbs after a set time 4/5pm & no food after a set time, 3/4 hours before bed time. Once you get used to cycling, join a gym and try a Spinning/RPM classes & HIIT on a treadmill. Drink lots of water & get a good nights sleep.

monarch of the highway:
Keeping active is just as much important as dieting so the cycling to work thing is a good idea

It is till some arse in an artic clips him one morn :wink:

bluenose:

thewheel:
Cheers monarch iv already give up on butter only thing in lunch box is 2 ham sarnies banana and maybe a bag of crisp. Dont eat a lot of crap but do have a proper evening meal every day. Never bothered having brekkie. Cycling to and from work is 24miles a week sp o should be off to a good start, saves petrol too!

Turning that round is a good start, good healthy breakfast, scrambled eggs/omelette, lean bacon, tomatoes, porridge, Special K are good examples, followed by 3/4 smaller portion meals throughout the day, don’t cut out carbs, swap them for brown, wholemeal, wholegrain pasta, rice & bread. Try no carbs after a set time 4/5pm & no food after a set time, 3/4 hours before bed time. Once you get used to cycling, join a gym and try a Spinning/RPM classes & HIIT on a treadmill. Drink lots of water & get a good nights sleep.

Special K ( like many other cereals) has a very high sugar content! (Don’t believe everything the cereal manufacturers say in their advertising) As a diabetic I can only eat Weetabix, Shredded Wheat and maybe Cornflakes !

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/8630446.stm

slimming world for me!not a diet but a sensible way to eat showing you how to build in your treats without going ott! :smiley:

Not read the whole thread so just my straight reply to the OP.

Why not have a go at running? Start offrun-walk and so on

I started back running when parked up as a new years resolution for 2012 and nowadays I run 3 timers a week.

Denis F:

bluenose:

thewheel:

Special K ( like many other cereals) has a very high sugar content! (Don’t believe everything the cereal manufacturers say in their advertising) As a diabetic I can only eat Weetabix, Shredded Wheat and maybe Cornflakes !

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/8630446.stm

Your right about the sugar & edging on cautious about cereals, they are promoted to be healthy to sell. If I wanted to get fat I would eat cereal, & brown bread !! If grain can fatten livestock, surely it’s going to fatten people! :confused: I can’t tolerate other foods like rice ( it gives me severe colic) & pasta lies like a breeze block in my stomach :frowning: :sunglasses:

Drink Green tea instead of Coffee, As been said avoid Fizzy drinks cola etc, Cut out most high Carb foods ie Bread, Spuds, switch to sweet potatoes… your body can get the energy it needs from protein… avoid if you can Wheat products and any type of Beans, cut out Crisps choccy sweets Butter and Marge and any processed food including Bacon, Sausages , If you must have it then eat it early in the day and watch out on the cereal as most contain lots of added sugar and salt, eat fruit but not too much as fruit has a high sugar content…Drink lots of water at least 2ltrs a day or more…your body needs water to get rid of water…if you don’t drink plenty your body will hold onto what it has (Bloating) also helps with digesting and getting rid of the food and fat flushing out your system, Ready meals…Sauces…Pies…Pasties are a no no far to many unknown unhealthy and fat inducing products go in those… Almonds and Walnut’s are good for a snack, they contain the good fat’s you need to believe it or not burn fat :slight_smile:…Basically if you can’t see it as having had a face or grown in the ground then don’t eat it lol,natural form is the way forward, not covered in breadcrumbs or hidden in pastry etc…Invest in a couple of dumbells to do some exercise in the lorry while hanging about…Sitting on the old backside all day weakens the Glutes , which are a part of the main muscle chain…ie Legs, Bum, Back and Shoulders. a few weighted squats should sort that out…build up the muscle, the more muscle you have the more fat you will burn up daily …As been said before…walking…cycling…jog walk jog…Even in the lorry you can do unweighted squats…press ups…sit ups…10/15 min a day…But once you do start to watch what you eat and begin to exercise more, then the weight will melt off for a while, exercise will get easier…but then it will get a bit harder to get rid of the weight so just increase your exercising time…Oh and plenty of sleep…your body only repairs itself when you are sleeping…My meals for the week days consist of Steak…Sardines (Omega 3 helps burn off fat) Tuna…Chicken (no skin)…Boiled Egg’s…Tomatoes…Liver & Onions…Banana’s…the odd other bit of fruit and a handfull of veg…very few carbs in that lot…out with the dumbells and a few other exercises when parked up and the beer belly from years of rugby club abuse is fading away again :smiley:

Cheers for all the replies some great advice for me to get started with. Running is not for me tho i was always the fat knackered kid walking round the school field! Cycling, gym and healthy eating is my goal now so watch this space

I put on a bit of weight when I was driving, I used to eat loads of junk, chocolate, biscuits, cakes, sweets, and fizzy pop. I never ate truckers breakfasts though, and never had takeaways. I am much more carefull about what I eat now, most of my dinners are a plate of steamed veg, I haven’t eaten meat for 20 years. Now that I don’t drive trucks any more, I have time for walking. Last week I walked from Ellesmere Port to Scunthorpe, 147 miles in 7 days.

I would say, don’t eat fried food at all, grill it. Don’t eat ready meals, or processed food. Cook from scratch and eat plenty of veg and fruit. Shopping is a lot easier when you only have to go down three or four aisles. Stick to your healthy eating and exercise, you can do it. :stuck_out_tongue:
Ilona

thewheel:
Cheers for all the replies some great advice for me to get started with. Running is not for me tho i was always the fat knackered kid walking round the school field! Cycling, gym and healthy eating is my goal now so watch this space

Give running a go using the C25K (Couch to 5K) programme I started on that last year when I still weighed north of 300lbs and had done nothing which could be remotely described as running for well over 30 years. It got me from nothing to completing 5k in 8 weeks and I’ve since taken part in 5k races and in 3 weeks I’m doing my first triathlon. If your doing the gym and cycling then you can do this plus it will bring even more benefits to you as cycle fit and running fit are different but the cycling will help your running and the running will help your cycling.

You can get C25K apps for your phone which count you in and out of the walking and running intervals and keep track of your progress and you can do it outside or on the hamster wheel (treadmill) in the gym. Don’t worry about speed at first, that comes later, just work on completing the times and if you feel you are running too fast then you probably are. It won’t be easy at first but being overweight and unfit is hard and losing weight and getting fit is hard, you just have to choose your hard. Make sure you also include weight and resistance training in your plan, great fat burner and you will end up in far better shape than if you just do cardio, you’ve got to mix it up.

Another thing I would suggest you could try at the gym, as you like cycling, are Spinning® classes. They are a fantastic cardio workout and burn big amounts of calories and fat, plus they are fun and will also help with your regular cycling. As someone who recently lost 133lbs in 11 months, through exercise and eating healthy 80-90% of the time, Spinning® classes played a massive part in both my weight loss and fitness improvement. My first class I struggled through it and wanted to vomit at the end, actually it was well before the end of the 45-minutes, but I stuck at it and it has paid off tenfold in making me fitter than I’ve ever been in my 53 years; next Saturday I’m taking part in a charity Spinathon and will be doing 6 hours on the Spinner® bike. :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

I am fully endorsing what coffeeholic has said . I am north of 18 stone at the moment and I am desperate to shift a couple of stone. I have downloaded the C25k app and it is brilliant! I am very careful in what I eat now and am exercising more than I have done in 25 years. Although I have not lost any weight in a week a feel like I have and the mrs reckons I look like I have !?
I also have done a spinning class, I found it really quite hard … probably because the bike was not set up properly … now that I have been shown how to do it properly …I love it!

Also I have found that a rowing machine gives you a fantastic work out … I am trying to complete 500 metres in less than two minutes. I have not achieved it yet but are getting closer every day !

So in my conclusion I would recommend a balanced healthy diet coupled with a good exercise you will lose weight and feel great!

youtube.com/watch?v=SWr0E_Qb39A

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

i’ve just put my old bike back on the truck, went out the other night for an hour and came back feeling great! :smiley:

had to put a couple of bits of plate up the top coming from the air kit fixings to hook the top straps onto but no major mods required, paid 40 quid for the bike years ago and probs the same for the halfrauds bike rack(which i got at the same time)

sixaxles:
i’ve just put my old bike back on the truck, went out the other night for an hour and came back feeling great! :smiley:

had to put a couple of bits of plate up the top coming from the air kit fixings to hook the top straps onto but no major mods required, paid 40 quid for the bike years ago and probs the same for the halfrauds bike rack(which i got at the same time)

:open_mouth: that looks like my bike, lol, I spend more time pushing it or wobbling off it :frowning: good form of exercise though :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: