Truckers atlas of britain

from another thread that read

And don’t forget to get yourself a TRUCKERS ATLAS OF GREAT BRITAIN ! Alright you’ll need a bank-loan for it and it will be in ten times as many pieces as it was when you bought it in 6 months time but it’s excellent! There’s nothing like travelling 15 mile along an A-road happy as Larry to then be faced with a 13ft bridge sign a mile before the bridge and have to turn round and find another route
where do i get hold of this atlas and how much is it
[/quote]

Most petrol stations n truckstops sell it, you just need to look around mate :laughing: . Easy to reckognise, its big, its got the AA logo on the front and says Truckers Atlas and a picture of a Magnum, superimposed over a map, all in a thick black surround :blush: .

As people have posted, an excellent map but a bit fragile.

A good, even larger scale map, is the Philips Navigator, but that doesn’t have bridge heights on it.

The only use for the Philips Navigator map is if you are a farmer. It lists every farm in the world on it even though it only covers GB and has something ridiculous like motorways are yellow, A-roads are blue and B-roads are red.

My personal opinion after looking at it is that it’s a pile of [zb].

as i am not yet near any truck stops can i get it from wh smiths and does it cost more than five pounds

Most motoway service areas carry the “Truckers Atlas of Great Britain” normal price is £13.99 or you can order by post from tinyurl.com/2sufl

Rob K:
The only use for the Philips Navigator map is if you are a farmer. It lists every farm in the world on it even though it only covers GB and has something ridiculous like motorways are yellow, A-roads are blue and B-roads are red.

it’s pretty useful if you spend a lot of time collecting from and delivering to farms :slight_smile: doesn’t have them all though :wink:

The Philips Navigator also has all the very minor roads marked, which can be very useful to anyone who tramps the UK, doing anything other than RDC type work. These and other reasons, are why I mentioned it.
Anyone thinking of buying a UK map for work reasons will check out what is available and make their own decision on what they buy.

Rob K wrote:

The colours are odd because they are different to what you are used to Rob K. For someone else, maybe buying their first UK map, that will not be a problem. The bigger problem, for Goofball, is probably the price. I don’t remember what it costs, but its more than the Truckers, as far as I remember.

Simon:
The bigger problem, for Goofball, is probably the price. I don’t remember what it costs, but its more than the Truckers, as far as I remember.

normally 19.99 iirc but amazon have it on special for 13.99 at the moment

Yes Goofball it costs more than £5.00 & its available from W H Smiths.
I was given one as a present a few years ago & have found them to be a handy fall back when not travelling on main roads.

The AA Truckers Atlas has all the minor roads on it too. I know, because I’ve done tanker work round the farms in N Wales in a 17 tonner along “roads” where there’s a grass strip between the tyre tracks! Any more minor roads which may appear in the Philips map book are a complete waste of time and money because you’re not going to get your car down them, never mind anything from a van to a 44 tonner!

Stick with the Truckers AA Atlas mate, it’s the best by far, trust me. The AA Atlas’s (Trucker one and non-trucker ones) are rated best map on the Which? Consumer Association website too, and cheapest. You won’t go wrong (and the roads are the right colour - well, motorways have ALWAYS been blue, on the road signs and in the map books, not florescent pink or whatever colour Philips use).

Depends what you want them for. I use the Philips navigator series as I do multidrop to a lot of farms etc and find them invaluable, especially as they have the road names as well. Although it can get expensive when you go across several counties in a run. Can’t pass comment on the AA stuff, but all the drivers that I work with (all 5 of us!) use the philips ones.