TRUCK

Just seen that truck magazine is bringing out a one off magazine featuring the best of the old long distance diarys out end of this month…

Personally, The round trip, Calais - Mont- Blanc Aosta, Aviano, Vicenza, Livorno, Brindisi, Naples, then collect peaches near Ferrara and deliver Joseph Ridley Dublin, Change to Scania VDA ? G and same again with Herman the German ( Bill Knapfel), Cleared Menton / Ventimiglia, Did the same again and collected bottles in Asti for the Taunton Cider company. Not Mega miles compared with the desert drivers,but worth noting. Jim.

P.S. Both wagons were Scanias, first Lb 76 , SVB 300F and VDA 60? G FRidged Freight. The day cab Scanias my father bought were piles of junk. The passenger seats were replaced with boxes to level up with the padded panel that made the whole lot a bunk. Not good for a second man. Jim.

seth 70:
Just seen that truck magazine is bringing out a one off magazine featuring the best of the old long distance diarys out end of this month…

Truck magazine was superb when Pat Kennet was at the helm.no ■■■■■■■,just honest opinions .the long distance diarys were brilliant-mostly Philip Lywellyn(spelling ).I still have a few from when I was a kid,some of it makes interesting reading now-a testmatch between a Scania 142 and a Bedford TM(cant remember what lump it had,-big cam ■■■■■■■ I think) -the Bedford won hands down overall.

I agree Truck was an excellent publication, bought my first copy in 1984 when I was 11 had the Iveco Turbostar on the front cover. I bought it every month from then on until the title ceased and have kept every issue and bought all the 70’s and 80’s issues.
Pat Kennet was a legend the road tests and information they gave was second to none, today’s magazines especially T&D are a joke, I still buy and keep them I do ask myself why at times.

seth 70:

Its out 21st of next month not this :exclamation: sorry :blush:

The old LDDs stopped being interesting when they started building so many motorways & started banning Wagons from the old Route National’s etc, so you no longer went round the rock-face you looked across at it from high-up-on-stilts/elevated motorway, you didn’t go through the old Villages/Towns that I used to love seeing, being able to stop at the old Routiers for a decent meal at a fair-price! Load at A, drive down the motorway, go through the shuttle, drive down the motorway to B, unload, drive down the motorway to C, unload, drive up the motorway to D, load, drive back along the motorway, go through the shuttle, drive up the motorway to E, unload, drive up the motorway to home, The End :neutral_face: ! Sorry, doesn’t float my boat :frowning: . Regards Chris

just a biased reply, when all theses magazines were being read and even written in the 70/80s/90s about what are the better features of this or that truck 99% of the drivers actually doing the job ,not road testers or magazine journalist, actually did not give two monkeys f---- you drove what you were given to drive ,you did your best with what you had. you got on with it
.No amount of reviews would make the slightest difference to any driver on for a sizable company, small one man bands,owner drivers maybe .Andrew s sums it up well “when he was a kid” i rest my case .and get back to the real job. reading A S JONES…ALDRIDGE

deckboypeggy:
just a biased reply, when all theses magazines were being read and even written in the 70/80s/90s about what are the better features of this or that truck 99% of the drivers actually doing the job ,not road testers or magazine journalist, actually did not give two monkeys f---- you drove what you were given to drive ,you did your best with what you had. you got on with it
.No amount of reviews would make the slightest difference to any driver on for a sizable company, small one man bands,owner drivers maybe .Andrew s sums it up well “when he was a kid” i rest my case .and get back to the real job. reading A S JONES…ALDRIDGE

I take it you weren’t an avid reader then?

yes sir, got it in one.
However i have just finished readings [Saviems] now that is first class, along with most of the contributors on this forum pages.
As more and more is revealed by some of the contributors about their past, some maybe, did have a just a bit better start than the ordinary joe blogs driver like myself,however they contributed to their local area by employing men, and it is nice to read about it .

seth 70:

Please let us know the where, when etc - definitely one customer here!

GCR2ERF:

seth 70:

Please let us know the where, when etc - definitely one customer here!

21st of oct in all the normal magazine outlets as far as i know …surely the folk at trucknet know its something to do with truck and driver mag which is something to do with trucknet i believe …

Woo-hoo! Cheers pal :slight_smile:

seth 70:

Still got a box full off old ones in the loft

Punchy Dan:

seth 70:

Still got a box full off old ones in the loft

Me too, but don’t tell my missus ! :slight_smile:

The very first issue of TRUCK magazine…

Another random TRUCK cover.

That is because you have them all,isn’t it Mark?

seth 70:
21st of oct in all the normal magazine outlets as far as i know …surely the folk at trucknet know its something to do with truck and driver mag which is something to do with trucknet i believe …

I know a bit :wink:
T/Net is owned by the same company that owns T&D and CM, MT and also ( under different owners) used to publish TRUCK - A one off special looking back at TRUCK magazine is coming soon and as soon as I am told all the details will let you know

Here it is from the Editor in chiefs mouth- bit of a sneak preview for T/net users as it wont be official until the next T&D issue…

The Editor in Chief T&D/CM:
“Over a decade after the last TRUCK magazine left the printers, this iconic magazine is back for a special 132-page commemorative souvenir issue.

We’ve delved into 30 years of TRUCK archives, and have revisited some of the best long-distance diaries ever published. Join the late Phil Llewellin, and other TRUCK writers, as they embark on epic journeys from around the world, in some of the best and worst commercial vehicles ever built. Experience -50 degrees on Alaska’s legendary Dalton Highway, and triple-digit heat on the Middle East run.

The best of TRUCK long-distance diaries”, which retails at just £7.99, will be on sale in all good newsagents from October 21.”