Truck Tires

Has anyone ever come across a trailer tyre with the outer tread bands are like new but the inner ones look like there worn right down a mate sent me a pic today of one and was told by a tyre fitter that the tread is like that when new its a new one on me ? apparently as they wear the inner groves open

Usually a sign of severe over inflation I believe ?
Regards. John

check Wheel Baring

Over inflation, out of shape tyre, knackered wheel bearing or a cheap badly retreaded piece of crap
Take your pick !
But on your daily walk around you would be defecting it !

Right i didnt explain this clearly enough he called a tyre fitter who turns up with new tyre then informs him that there nothing wrong with it as its just the tread pattern showed him the one in the van which was the same and then tells him he gets called out all the time to them but there suposed to be like it and as they wear the innner groves open as i said its a new one on me

I replied to this in the OD section, but yeah I’ve seen them. We recently took delivery of 20 or so new fridge trailers that had these tyres fitted. At first glance it looks like a slick with two grooves on the outer edges. We’ve been assured that they are perfectly legal.

bjd:
Has anyone ever come across a trailer tyre with the outer tread bands are like new but the inner ones look like there worn right down a mate sent me a pic today of one and was told by a tyre fitter that the tread is like that when new its a new one on me ? apparently as they wear the inner groves open

Probably a Bandvulc LPT

bandvulc.com/uploads/Trailer_LPT_BTA.pdf

although there are others that use the same pattern,the inner grooves are the same depth as the outer when new and also need regrooving when the time comes.

Do they clear water as well as a new tread, I think not, but on a trailer in today’s world where every penny counts I bet lots are fitted .

I think it’s continental tyres that have this tread pattern. We got a few brand new trailers with these conti tyres you are on about. At first glance you would say they are verging on illegal. We got written confirmation from the hire co to say that this is the design and that they are safe and legal because some drivers were refusing to take the trailers out thinking they were bald.

we need some pictures

Sounds like these…

http://www.goodyear.eu/uk_en/tires/truck/marathon-lht-II/

philgor:
Sounds like these…

The place i work has them fitted to all trailers and there pants.Once they are regrooved the tyre just falls apart a think its false economy.Also you will find some times one of the strips of tread are missing from the tyre.

Colin_scottish:

philgor:
Sounds like these…

The place i work has them fitted to all trailers and there pants.Once they are regrooved the tyre just falls apart a think its false economy.Also you will find some times one of the strips of tread are missing from the tyre.

Hmm, that’s intresting, ewals cargo care, they spec them from factory and as replacements, and they seem to wear ok, but they dont cut them, they replace them when worn… I think, I’ve never seen one of them being or been cut…