Truck stops

Hi
A real odd post here but a post that is on my mind
If I do chose to follow this HGV through
One thing on my mind as I want tramper work
Truck stops !!
Where are they with showers is there a app a book something where you can find them
At short notice and who do you pay or company
Do the staff come round how does it all work
And the showers do you pay for showers or is that with the price
Of parking

Just things on my mind more than passing any test

Thanks

If its a MSA then you can either just walk straight in to the showers (pot luck if they are in a useable conditition) or you may have to get a key, card or token from WHSmiths. It can be included as part of your parking fee too. Proper truck stops have showers but again its pot luck if they are any good or not).

Paying for parking can be done in a number of ways. Most MSA’s, you go into WHSmiths and tell the cashier you want to pay for HGV parking. They will then ask you if you want a food voucher or not, some firms will deduct the cost of the food voucher off the price you paid for parking. So if the parking is £23 with a food voucher and £20 without, if your company refunds parking then you would only get £20 back. Some however like my lot are stingy gits and won’t pay for food. Truck stop parking works pretty much the same. Most truck stops and Extra MSA’s use a system called SNAP. SNAP is an account based system where firms are billed directly when a driver uses a SNAP site. Some places will ask you for your company name and truck reg, others you have to write it down on a spreadsheet. As I said, Extra service areas also use SNAP so if you find yourself there go find one of the cleaners and ask for SNAP parking. They will go and get a sheet where you fill out your name, reg, time of arrival etc and then thats it!

If you have an iPhone, apps like HGVparking and Motorway buddy are free and are excellent means of finding parking and information on said parking.

Use the showers for free, then drive somewhere else to park up at a more reasonable cost. I never use MSAs anymore.

Download the Motorway Buddy app. It figures out the closest truck stops in relation to your location. It has a reviews section too, Swindon Truckstops’ review is worth a laugh, sorry read. :laughing: