Truck speed limit

I had a rare sojurn down a motorway to-day and noticed that quite a few trucks are achieving 65 mph ,not Paddies and not all tippers either.Do the police or DVSA tug them or do they not bother.?

What Motorway and was it hilly ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Got overtaken the other night by a Magnum on Poland plates, must have been doing at least 70 as he thundered past. Crack on driver!

Definitely not me, our new units are limited to 52 :frowning:

Does anyone still chuck their motor out of gear on the motorway downhills?
Or is it a big No now for fear of overspeeds etc?

axletramp:

balls to the over speed :grimacing: :laughing:

burnley-si:

axletramp:

+1…that would be about right…uphill slow and downhill fast…if thats not trucking,then kiss my ■■■. :smiley:
if theres nothing in front of you,then flat to the mat works fine…never been done for it yet.

dieseldog999:

burnley-si:

axletramp:

+1…that would be about right…uphill slow and downhill fast…if thats not trucking,then kiss my ■■■. :smiley:
if theres nothing in front of you,then flat to the mat works fine…never been done for it yet.

+2
In no particular hurry and fancy a slow drive ill keep it a slow steady speed but…with my usual 2K kms to do its nearly always on the limiter at the Euro interpretation of 90 kph ie 100kph+ on the flat and on the hills and a few extra +'s downhill :grimacing:
Who bothers checking on these ‘overspeeds’ anyway :confused:

Our place regularly check overspeeds and publishes a list on the wall of shame. Along with a note stating that a trucks speed limiter must never be exceeded. One up on the wall currently on the drivers notice board.

axletramp:
Does anyone still chuck their motor out of gear on the motorway downhills? Or is it a big No now for fear of overspeeds etc?

Ah! :grimacing: paddy overdrive. :laughing: manual R730 V8 me! :sunglasses: weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee off the clock. :smiley:

simcor:
Our place regularly check overspeeds and publishes a list on the wall of shame. Along with a note stating that a trucks speed limiter must never be exceeded. One up on the wall currently on the drivers notice board.

Think that would be a challenge to try and get to the top rather than a wall of shame.
As long as I don’t go over 60mph I totally ignore the overspeed warning, and as such, I get loads of them! [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smiffys trucking:

simcor:

Think that would be a challenge to try and get to the top rather than a wall of shame.
As long as I don’t go over 60mph I totally ignore the overspeed warning, and as such, I get loads of them! [emoji16]

:laughing:

I’ve been thinking the same as the op this week. Been on nightshift this week doing a carnforth changeover and the amount of trucks that fly past me like I’m in reverse is unreal. It’s usually well known Scottish operators. You never see them pulled over by the police or in checkpoints so how do they get away with it. Plus it’s giving them an unfair advantage over companies that run legit.

I drive from the UK to my home in Spain from time to time in my car.Last trip While doing 120kph I was overtaken by a Spanish plated Renault Magnum towing a fridge van.It didn’t creep past either.Impressed!

Gidders:
I drive from the UK to my home in Spain from time to time in my car.Last trip While doing 120kph I was overtaken by a Spanish plated Renault Magnum towing a fridge van.It didn’t creep past either.Impressed!

Just like the old days. :slight_smile:

Hammy747:
Got overtaken the other night by a Magnum on Poland plates, must have been doing at least 70 as he thundered past.

I bet he still got overtaken by a TNT lorry at some point though

Gidders:

Theres many Spanish co’s whose limiters were long since tossed out the window :grimacing: Bakkavor Iberica who we sub for are another prime candidate, their trucks will do 110kph+. Rules and regs are obviously in place but drive safely and you’ll be left alone.The interpretation of those rules and regs is different to the strangled UK. :sunglasses:

I lived (Belgium and Spain)and worked abroad for 30 years or so and as Andrew G said,we all operate the same rules but on the east of the channel they are more flexible unlike the UK where things are more black and white.One thing that did intrigue me was that the British police at that time used to give their own nationals a hard time and generally leave foreigners alone.I found that in France it made my life easier to fit my truck with yellow headlight covers.