Truck speed limit to be 50mph on A75

There is to be a trial for 6 months. Where the speed limit for HGV’s on the A75 will be 50mph, Except where there is a reduced limit for all other vehicles.

I’ll get a link on here as soon as i find out the date of commencement.

limeyphil:
There is to be a trial for 6 months. Where the speed limit for HGV’s on the A75 will be 50mph, Except where there is a reduced limit for all other vehicles.

I’ll get a link on here as soon as i find out the date of commencement.

I thought HGV’s were limited to 50mph on dual carriage ways anyway? and 40 for single. so surely this 50 limit won’t affect us as we don’t speed now do we? :wink:

Most of the A75, About 90 miles of it is single carriageway, Thats the bit that will go from 40mph to 50mph for HGV’s.

limeyphil:
Most of the A75, About 90 miles of it is single carriageway, Thats the bit that will go from 40mph to 50mph for HGV’s.

I see what you mean…the speed limit is going up for HGV’s…thats a bit weird though :S Can you think of why they’d have even thought about doing that?

Who is the brains behind this… AT LAST SOMEONE HAS COME UP WITH A GREAT IDEA WHICH IS FILLED WITH COMMON SENSE. The A9 needs to have the same too !!!

if you sit at 50 on the A75 you will still end up with a que of wagons behind you ! mind at least they wont make your mirrors blow off as they go past you at 60 if theres only 10mph between you :smiley:

Kerbdog:
Who is the brains behind this… AT LAST SOMEONE HAS COME UP WITH A GREAT IDEA WHICH IS FILLED WITH COMMON SENSE. The A9 needs to have the same too !!!

Read last tear that a Scottish MP was stuck in a queue of traffic following a truck from a major supermarket chain up the A9 and she was so outraged that it was only traveling at 40mph that she complained to head office, only to be told that was the limit for trucks on single carriage roads.

Could you advise who or what your source is for this?

i cant see that happening. the government want to lower the national speed limit from 60 to 50 and yet put the limit up for trucks to 50 on just one road. cant see it.
whats wrong with sitting at 40. steady day.

On all NSLs - all vehicles at 50mph - NAH - too sensible…

McPlod:

Sorry, just remember reading it in a daily paper and thinking here’s yet another MP who’s out of touch with the real world.

squarepeg:

Kerbdog:

Read last tear that a Scottish MP was stuck in a queue of traffic following a truck from a major supermarket chain up the A9 and she was so outraged that it was only traveling at 40mph that she complained to head office, only to be told that was the limit for trucks on single carriage roads.

She seems to be imo, typical of the kind of driver thats incapable of overtaking, unless they are on a dual carrigeway or motorway.

Kerbdog:

and the scary thing is … we vote these idiots into positions of power :unamused:

ROG:
On all NSLs - all vehicles at 50mph - NAH - too sensible…

Would you translate this into English please?
NSL’s = national speed limit ■■
MOST of us don’t speak RoSPA initials, or is it IAM? Nor do we particularly want to.

40 mph on A75 no chance for those that dont know the road ,some of or irish cousins use it to get from the boat and back home .ITS a killer road IM NOT SAYING hgvs are the cause of the fatalities More irate car drivers (who really have a death wish) and unhappily they do get it . as on any A road if i was doing 80 mph in a wagon (those were the days :laughing: ) if a car was behind me HE must get past me . its the law of the road WE MUST BE OVERTAKEN
CHANGE SPEED LIMITS OR EDUCATE CAR DRIVERS :question:
FOR EVREY 10 CAR DRIVERS WE COME ACROSS WE WILL MEET 0.5 OF A LORRY DRIVER IN TEMPERMANT AND SKILL.
EDUCATE THE PLEBS.

Marty B7:

Kerbdog:

and the scary thing is … we vote these idiots into positions of power :unamused:

Kerbdog never wrote that first bit !!! Kerbdog has not read anything about a Scottish MP !!!

Kerbdog does say that some of the A75 and A9 roads are wide enough to be dual carriageway’s with a central reservation too. These are the parts of the road network that should be looked at.

squarepeg:

McPlod:

Sorry, just remember reading it in a daily paper and thinking here’s yet another MP who’s out of touch with the real world.

If it’s in the paper…well it must be true. :unamused:

As I run the gauntlet of the A75 twice a night…this rumour of an increase in speed limit is a load of garbage.

In fact plod is having a crackdown just now. One of our lads got nabbed last week for 46.3mph on the Kinmount straight, (the wide bit just before Annan), and he was told anything above 45mph will get you pulled.

And yes I sit at an indicated 41mph…as one of our ex-drivers is now a traffic cop…I’m not giving that bar-steward the satisfaction of pulling me. :imp:

Just buy a motor bike, it will whip past lorries and cars…

And pee off the self righteous at the same time…

Aint life grand LOL :grimacing: :grimacing:

scania245:
40 mph on A75 no chance for those that dont know the road ,some of or irish cousins use it to get from the boat and back home .ITS a killer road IM NOT SAYING hgvs are the cause of the fatalities More irate car drivers (who really have a death wish) and unhappily they do get it . as on any A road if i was doing 80 mph in a wagon (those were the days :laughing: ) if a car was behind me HE must get past me . its the law of the road WE MUST BE OVERTAKEN
CHANGE SPEED LIMITS OR EDUCATE CAR DRIVERS :question:
FOR EVREY 10 CAR DRIVERS WE COME ACROSS WE WILL MEET 0.5 OF A LORRY DRIVER IN TEMPERMANT AND SKILL.
EDUCATE THE PLEBS.

Slow vehicles cause frustration. Ever been in your car and got fed up with the one at the front doing 40 in a 60 zone?

Its the same for law abiding HGV’s on the A75. The ones who stick to the law are the ones that cause the hold ups on that road. Iv seen car drivers, van drivers AND fellow HGV’s get fed up to the point of taking chances.

A night its never a problem as the ferry traffic like to trot along at their own speed.

Yes folk shouldnt take chances but you have to ask yourself if youve got 20 odd vehicles behind you and folk start to get a bit restless with their actions, isnt it time to shift over into a layby for a couple of seconds?

I posted this link on my local “CRUISE” site where there is a decdicated Police Liasion Officer and as suggested its a MYTH, maybe one heard on the boat or in the pub as the officer hasn’t heard of this although he has read of a Truck Organisation lobying for the speed limit to be upped on suitable A Roads.

Heres the link:-

dumfriescruise.com/forum/vie … 426#364426