Truck show driving hours!

There is a local truck show in north Wales next Saturday and I’m taking my unit for the first show (not to win just for the crack with other drivers) just wondering what the rules where driving to and from where the show is! It is only 7 miles from our depot! Any advice would be great! Thanks!

Tacho is still needed and any drive time must be accounted for but as long as it is not ‘for Buisness purposes’ then it does not come under WTD regs…

Or that’s how I understand it!

So in that case I could drive it to the show Saturday after working all week, drive it back to yard Sunday and work all week again?

I have never looked into how to do it, but could it not be done as “out of scope”?

Hope this doesn’t come across wrong but is there not a VOSA advice line, if there isn’t there should be. We shouldn’t have to guess/ask others for advice we should be able to get it straight from the horses mouth.

Not at 12am on a Friday night ! Ha ha! I always ask on here any queries I have just as its easy informal and if people have done it before then happy days! It also helps others out on here who are asking the same question!

I will phone the advice line but will have to wait till Monday now!

If I have read this right I won’t need to put my card in? This has come from the VOSA website!

mozzer44:
If I have read this right I won’t need to put my card in? This has come from the VOSA website! 0

Always put the card in…or they will think you are fiddling !!!
Print it out and write on back where you went and why…Not for work purpose !

I would drive with the card in and do a printout then write on the back: “Personal use, Not for hire or reward”.
The legalities are a bit grey, No more out of scope but you may be under domestic regs, Then again if it’s personal use no tacho or o’licence would be required. There’s probably a good few arguments that would suggest no tacho has to be used. A printout would cover any eventuality.

mozzer44:
If I have read this right I won’t need to put my card in? This has come from the VOSA website! 0

No that’s if you drive less than four hours a day in the course of doing road repairs.

mozzer44:
There is a local truck show in north Wales next Saturday and I’m taking my unit for the first show (not to win just for the crack with other drivers) just wondering what the rules where driving to and from where the show is! It is only 7 miles from our depot! Any advice would be great! Thanks!

Still need a tacho and it counts as part of your driving hours so you will need to show a 24/45 hour rest in your working week

If the plated weight of the truck does not exceed 7.5 tonnes and the use is ‘not for commercial purposes’ then you fall outside EU drivers hours rules. Because the vehicle is not being used ‘commercially’ you will also fall outside the GB Domestic rules, in other words; crack on. You don’t need to keep records but it’s always helpful if you do. For digital use the ‘out of scope’ function. For analogue write on the chart something like ‘non commercial journey.’

If the plated weight exceeds 7.5 tonnes and most tractor units are between 18 and 26 tonnes then you will come under EU drivers hours rules. Any driving will have to be recorded using the Tacho - analogue or digital. As you’re under EU hours your weekly rest will probably be the biggest issue. If you can genuinely say that you’re not being paid by your employer to attend, in my view you can call the time you spend at the show ‘rest,’ as you’re freely disposing of your time. Just make sure that you spend as long as possible there between arriving and departing, preferably 45 hours but not less than 24. If you have less than 45 at the show you will have had a reduced weekly rest; next week will have to be a 45 (and last week should have been a 45) anything less than 45 at the show will require compensating for.

Have a good show :smiley:

its tacho in if you like it or not.
it counts towards your driving hours.
its the same if you’re doing a carnival, or a charity run.