Truck service

I dropped my truck off for service last week at the Volvo dealership, I was given a van to drive home in and returned the following morning after having my daily rest. where do I stand legally with booking on/off? I just had my daily rest and carried on again, wasn’t sure if it needed to be recorded as this was not my vehicle?

I do find it hard to believe you are even worried about driving a van home,do you actually do everything by the book

how would you have got home if in the yard .

SSSSSSSH I wont tell anybody you drove the van home if you dont. DOH.

Fileep:
I dropped my truck off for service last week at the Volvo dealership, I was given a van to drive home in and returned the following morning after having my daily rest. where do I stand legally with booking on/off? I just had my daily rest and carried on again, wasn’t sure if it needed to be recorded as this was not my vehicle?

Yeah it should be recorded.

In the true sence of the word both driving to and from should be counted as working time, but who will know if you don’t tell them…

hanson:
I do find it hard to believe you are even worried about driving a van home,do you actually do everything by the book

:slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Who gives a toss ? If you are out of your lorry just take advantage of the fact they had the courtesy to lend you a van FFS.
You were off duty and off the tacho so just enjoy life.

I don’t know why I bother asking questions on this site! Half you morons can’t read anyway. I already stated what I had done, just curious as the legal stance! It would be beneficial to all concerned on this site if you follow one simple rule, if you have nothing useful to say then shut the ■■■■ up!

Don’t ask stupid ■■■■■■■ questions then!!!

No wonder the dcpc was brought in ,obviously it hasnt done any good.

Other work as it’s a company vehicle. Unless you work max hours then don’t record it. For anyone who visits MAN at Swindon, around the back are the Earthline “get you home” cars. A bunch of Peugeots even Arfur Daley wouldn’t sell you.

Jamiemufu:
Don’t ask stupid [zb] questions then!!!

I thought it was a good question. Its a question that went before the courts in the form of the Skills Coaches case. Its also a often repeated question and people are refered to the descision in the Skills Coaches case. And the same question arises here often too!!
What i find “stupid” are many of the replies saying along the lines of …“don’t say anything, just be glad you got a ride home” etc… I say that not for any unswerving attitude to uphold the law, no, i say that because i don’t work for free. So if someone wants me to drop a truck off for service, i like that expression “drop off”, it almost sounds like i’m doing a favour!! And then they want me to ride around anywhere in a works van, whether thats home, the yard or Timbuctoo then i’d like to be paid for that.
So if anyones happy to break the law, go home in some old crappy van stinking of oily parts and derv and not book it as work and not get paid then i ask my self a question that never arose in the Skills Coaches Case and that is…are they idiots or what ?

Mike-C:

Jamiemufu:

I thought it was a good question. Its a question that went before the courts in the form of the Skills Coaches case. Its also a often repeated question and people are refered to the descision in the Skills Coaches case. And the same question arises here often too!!
What i find “stupid” are many of the replies saying along the lines of …“don’t say anything, just be glad you got a ride home” etc… I say that not for any unswerving attitude to uphold the law, no, i say that because i don’t work for free. So if someone wants me to drop a truck off for service, i like that expression “drop off”, it almost sounds like i’m doing a favour!! And then they want me to ride around anywhere in a works van, whether thats home, the yard or Timbuctoo then i’d like to be paid for that.
So if anyones happy to break the law, go home in some old crappy van stinking of oily parts and derv and not book it as work and not get paid then i ask my self a question that never arose in the Skills Coaches Case and that is…are they idiots or what ?

He has saved his own fuel by using the van, and if it is not far off route then maybe worth doing?

Mike-C:

Jamiemufu:

Yeah, fine but if there’s some plum job overtime or easy number job in the offing it wouldn’t be coming your way. Inflexible work to rule cuts both ways. If a driver wasn’t happy and wanted paying I would make them drive back to the yard and take their private car home.

As I understand it the Skills coach case referred to a driver being a significant distance from base.