Truck sat nav

I want to buy a truck sat nav TomTom 5150 or Garmin Dezl 560. From your experience can you tell me wich is better ? Or a TomTom GO 500 is just fine and cheaper.
I know the TT 5150 and Garmin 560 can avoid roads with height, weight, width, length and hazmat restrictions, but this option really works ? A friend have a sat nav with Igo Primo and sometimes it goes on the limited tone restriction (3.5t). Sorry for the bad english.

Garmin for me bud never let me go astray yet

Some prefer TomTom, some Garmin. Others recommend Snooper or no-name Chinese cheapies.

In truth I think they all do the job as well (or as poorly!) as each other. The choice comes down to your own personal preference. Have a study of the features available (and on-going costs), and get along to a shop where you can see and try them (or at least, try a similar model - most shops don’t carry the Truck models in stock).

See if you can find anyone who has switched from one make to the other and find out why they switched - this is likely to give more of an insight into the weaknesses of each one.

Although I have used Garmin units, I have only ever owned TomToms. I wouldn’t say either was markedly better than the other. But I don’t like the capacitive touch-screens on the latest TomToms - much, much too sensitive IMO. I much prefer a screen that you have to actually apply a small amount of pressure to make it respond.

The truck sat nav always respect restrictions about height, weight, width, length or sometimes ignore them ?

If it knows about them, it respects them. Trouble is the mapping data comes from only a couple of major providers - TeleAtlas and Navteq - and neither of them is absolutely 100% foolproof.

Take for example Derby. The whole of the city centre, and many of the surrounding districts are subject to a 7.5 tonne weight limit. But on the satnav maps, only short stretches of road entering the restricted zone are flagged with the restriction. Being a clever little computer, the satnav will find a way to your destination which bypasses those short stretches by taking you all around the houses down various small side-streets.

I’m a big tomtom user but got to test a no-name chinese satnav yesterday along side tomtom truck
My conclusion is the chinese one is such a waste of materials, it was slow to start, slow to find a signal and mega slow to plan a route
and the volume was too low
Have also tried pronav and a normal car garmin but the tomtom wins every time

I’ve recently been advised that the Snooper models are among the best. My Tomtom Go Live 1000 has recently lost the live traffic for the third time and is now not starting up correctly and is randomly turning itself off. I fear that the truck version will be equally poor. :imp:

Dusty56:
I’ve recently been advised that the Snooper models are among the best. My Tomtom Go Live 1000 has recently lost the live traffic for the third time and is now not starting up correctly and is randomly turning itself off. I fear that the truck version will be equally poor. :imp:

My Go Live 1000 died in a similar way while on holiday in Spain. Fortunately I had my trusty 7000 Truck with me as back-up :slight_smile:. TomTom accepted it back for repair FOC (even though it was over 12 months old and so outside their warranty period - Just as well they did as I was all set to enforce my consumer rights against a well-known High Street retailer :smiley: ).

But I still don’t like using it - as I mentioned, the touchscreen is much too sensitive for my (not very) fat fingers. It also sometimes appears not to have accepted a screen tap, so I tap it again - only to find that the screen was a fraction slow in updating and I have now made the wrong selection on the next screen :imp:

I do find the HD traffic noticeably better than the free-to-air RDS-TMC system used on the 7000 - but so it should be as it costs a few quid a year to subscribe!

I’ve been an avid TT user for years, as I find their interface works for me, and I now have a TT5150, and it has only let me down once.

At the moment, I think nearly all of the manufacturers are offering free map updates for life, which will save you a fortune in the long run. No more hacked maps off Navitotal or GPSUnderground.

However, I use the PGPSW speed camera database with my TT, rather than their own, as it’s far superior, and I’ve just put CamerAlert on my HTC one X Android, which I ran alongside my TT this morning, which means I can log new cameras for the PGPSW database more accurately than before. (I’m a life member on the PGPSW site, and get free camera updates for life.) Don’t believe the hype about TT’s camera database, as it’s crap.

My TT also has 12 months Live traffic updates which is a bit hit and miss sometimes, but this morning it was brilliant, as I was going down the M1, and it said Catthorpe was shut, but as I got nearer, it said it was open, and I was just about to come off at 20 and go around, but took my chance, and they were just lifting the cones to reopen it. The Live is about £47 a year after it expires, I think, but if you look around, you can get a discount code to bring that down by half, and I’m lead to believe that if you do it a while before your free subscription expires, they tag it on, so you don’t lose.

TBH, there’s not a lot in them, and they all have their foibles, so it’s down to personal choice really.

Ken.